Saying Hi :o)

Guest Astralnautful

Guest Astralnautful

Hi, I'm Jax and I live in Bristol UK with my bloke and our 17yr old son.

I 'm a NSW born australian and spent my first 11yrs in Adelaide and then my Mum moved to uk :o( I just want to come home! My son plays xbox live and his best online friends are ozzies and he's just got me thinking about it again...I realised a big part of me had been slowly dying (or shrinking 'cos of the rain) from living here in the uk and I didn't even notice it happening.

So now I've been looking obsessively through domain.au for ideas on where we're going to live! Reading the forums on

pia, looking for prices with removal companies and trying to work out if it's worth bringing our motorbikes and car. The

utilities and tax and other taxes and more taxes etc...

My son is all for moving within a couple of years...my husband on the other hand, is a grumpy old bastard who won't look

at anything unless I drag him to the computer! We live in a 3 bed terraced house with a small garden and I can't stand it any longer...my 3 cat's btw, are in complete agreement with me that Adelaide is the place to live ;o)

I'm sure I can't be the only one with an OH who is resistant to living a better life? He has understandable worries of

finding a job in IT, he's 49 but very skilled at programing...and he also has android and apple experience...so he's got

some good skills. The job market doesn't look good in Adelaide at the mo. When we sell our house in uk, we can buy a

house outright and have some money left over after shipping expenses.

I have suggested that we go over for a 4 week holiday in November this year...just so he can get a feel for the place and maybe/hopefully fall in love with Adelaide, an outdoor life and good people. He's a bit more open to the idea and it's a great place to start! I've got a lot of diving stuff and clothes etc to sell on ebay so he'll be able to see I'm serious about it all. I'm just not very good at slowly, slowly, catchi monkey thing!

Well, nice to chat to ya all :o)

Hiya, you sound a bit like me - I was born in NSW, but then grew up in the UK before coming back to Australia and settling in Adelaide nearly ten years ago. I presume you have dual nationality, and that your son has it by descent? Have you got as far as applying for a spouse visa for your OH yet? I'd get that bit sorted out if not: you can do that without any real definite plans to move in the immediate future, and it's a step closer. Then, yes, get him out here for a holiday, and make sure you show him all the best bits, and take it from there.

On the other hand, you could do what I did, which was plant the seed with my OH (who had never been to Australia before we arrived here to live), then when he got offered a job, get carried away on the rollercoaster, sell all your toys (boat, bikes, caravan, cars, house) and move out here within months with no way back!!

Good luck anyway and hopefully see you when you get here - either on holiday or for good!

The best of luck with everything!

Brilliant sense of humour running through the entire thread.

I heard a funny story from my OH last week. People that he works with. They didn't tell their teenage daughters that they were moving to Oz until a few days before the flight. They were told that the medicals were required for their holiday!!! You could try that one...tell him it's a surprise trip and only book single tickets!:biglaugh:

Tamara

Guest Astralnautful
I presume you have dual nationality, and that your son has it by descent? Have you got as far as applying for a spouse visa for your OH yet?

My OH is getting it in the ear from Ben (my son) and I'm trying not to overwhelm him...but still pointing out the positive points of living in Oz! Can't keep my mouth shut ;o)

It's a great idea of yours to get a spouse visa ... so I went onto the visa site and there's so much stuff to know. I probably have to get eveidence of citizenship first, blah, blah and blah.

Jax

Guest Astralnautful
A holiday is definitely a good idea. For lots of people it isn't a better life here, so best to let him see if he likes it first.

And remember, we are all shrinking here too, ours is just caused by heat at the moment lol.

I could do with a bit of heat!! Rain, Rain and bloody Rain:sad: I s'pose 44c is a bit much though!...will it last for much longer?

Jax

Hello and welcome :)

As said above, partner visa is an important thing. Current processing times were running at about 8-9 months for an offshore application. Perhaps work out costs and see what you think of it all.

Download and print off the partner visa PDF. Go through it carefully, strike out all the parts that don't apply to you. So fiancee stuff for example. Makes it easier to digest when you realise chunks of it are not for you :)

Get busy getting your son his Aus citizenship by descent if eligible and then his Aus passport if its not done already. That should take no more than a couple of months, maybe a bit more. It is far cheaper and easier (and safer for your son) than adding him to a partner visa application and paying all those fees etc. You will need it when your OH applies for a partner visa as your son will have to be listed but not actually applying. So proof of Aus citizenship and Aus passport will be expected.

If you've any questions on the partner visa process give me a shout. Its a pretty straightforward application but can look overwhelming when you first look at it all.

Guest Astralnautful
Hello and welcome :)

As said above, partner visa is an important thing. Current processing times were running at about 8-9 months for an offshore application. Perhaps work out costs and see what you think of it all.

Download and print off the partner visa PDF. Go through it carefully, strike out all the parts that don't apply to you. So fiancee stuff for example. Makes it easier to digest when you realise chunks of it are not for you :)

Get busy getting your son his Aus citizenship by descent if eligible and then his Aus passport if its not done already. That should take no more than a couple of months, maybe a bit more. It is far cheaper and easier (and safer for your son) than adding him to a partner visa application and paying all those fees etc. You will need it when your OH applies for a partner visa as your son will have to be listed but not actually applying. So proof of Aus citizenship and Aus passport will be expected.

If you've any questions on the partner visa process give me a shout. Its a pretty straightforward application but can look overwhelming when you first look at it all.

Wow, Thanks for the info! Can't digest it at the mo as a cold has me in it's grips...bleary brain, yuk. Cheers Jax