Introducing ourselves

Guest hrubieszowianka

Guest hrubieszowianka

Hello!

Yes, we are another family desperately trying to leave UK and set up a new live in Adelaide. And it's not only for our daughter (aged 4), but also for both of us (aged 34 in 10 days and 40).

We are awaiting the news about our SIR Visa Subclass 495 any day now and would like to go in August, but as everybody knows, the housing market is quite slow, prices might not be as good as we want them. Well, fingers crossed and think positive.

I've been reading this forum for some time now and really like the friendly atmosphere.

I would be very gratful for any useful advise on getting a teaching job in a secodary school (for my DH). He is in a process of registering as a teacher, but will have to apply soon. The process seems to be very long and the application quite complex.

Needless to say we rely on his job to allow us stay in OZ for longer than 3 years on SIR.

I am a banker and at least don't have to do so many things to be allowed to apply for work.

Thanks for you time and speak to you soon (I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these will be on separate threads).

Yours,

Not Quite A Pom ;)

Hi Guys

I'm afraid i can't help with the teaching side of things but just wanted to say hello and welcome to PIA. I'm sure you'll get answers to all your questions, there are some very knowledgeable people on here (i will point out as i have done previously i'm not one of them) :biglaugh:. I hope you manage to get your house sorted out so you can leave in August. Good luck with everything.

Emma +

Alicia (6)

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA.

I don't want to put a dampner on your dreams but its not so straight forward. Going over as a teacher might not be as easy as you hope as regarding employment.

Have a look at this thread...... http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3707&highlight=Teachersve

Don't let this put you off as by the time you get out there it could all be very different. But I thought you should be aware.

Pete

Guest hrubieszowianka

Thank you for the posts. We are not expecting everything to be perfect from the start and have been reading up a bit. However there are teachers on this and other sites, who managed to get jobs, so I hope that sooner or later something will pop up.

Regards.

Guest Libby1971

Hi

I am a secondary school teacher here in Adelaide.

Arriving in August might make things difficult. Your hubbie will need to do his Mandatory Child Protection Course (approx $80) and First Aid Training ($99 - a UK certificate is not recognised here) before the registration process can be completed. Schools that you contact will not be enthusiastic about recruiting you from the UK until this process is complete. To be honest, there are many teachers here and it is unlikely a position would be held open for your husband.

Term 3 runs from July to Oct. Arriving in August, assuming you complete your courses within a fortnight means you could be registered by 3-4 weeks after your arrival. This makes you available for approx 4-6 weeks of term 3.

Term 4 runs end of Oct to Dec. In the 2nd week of term 4, the year 12s go on study leave. In term 5 so do the year 11s. And some schools allow the year 10s to go on study leave as well. This means that all those teachers are freed and are available for cover work.

I was lucky enough to get a contract for term 3. However I had been registered since June and not a whiff of anything until July. I then had 6 days supply work in term 4, all within the first fortnight. Nothing after that for the rest of that term and nothing in term 1 either. After being here a year, I finally found a job at the end of last term and started today.

This is a reality for many teachers. Until you have an Aussie reference, which is usually through gaining supply work or a short term contract, it is likely to be difficult to get a perm post. I do not know anyone here who managed to get a perm job without doing supply work. It is very much a case here of who you know rather than what you know.

Libby

Guest hrubieszowianka

Libby,

Thanks for this very useful response. My husband is quite prepared for the supply work and that's how he found work here in UK as well. I suppose the permanent position is the ideal, but what we most care about is that he has full-time hours for 12 months in the first 2 years of our stay for PR purposes. I hope to get a job quicker for "survival" purposes.

Thanks again, Libby!

Hrubieszowianka

Guest mOZzy

hello and welcome to pia :wubclub:

i was going to direct you towards libby but as usual she's too quick :P

good for you that you are willing to give it a try never the less - and you never know!

good luck!

Welcome to another teacher dreaming of a better life on the other side - there won't be many left in the UK soon. I am also worried about finding work and have been holding off on the registration process until I definitely know that I am going. I have however gone through the TRBofSA skills assessment process.

Thanks for the useful info Libby!

Best of luck hrubieszowianka