Murphy family in need of advice

Guest murphyslaw

Guest murphyslaw

We are thinking of moving to adelaide as i have family there

we were just wondering which areas are good for schools and commuting to adelaide if this is where we end up working.

and does anyone know people or companies we could speak to in regards to our qualifcations transfering to qualifcations in oz

peter,debbie and katie-alice

Depends on a whole heap of things really. Many opt for further south to live, often cheaper than closer to the city, but you have a bit of a commute into the CBD, how long depends on how far out. North is popular with others, east generally more pricey.

Decent schools all over, really comes down to where you live. Some primary schools are zoned, many not. So you can be quite flexible. Senior schools are generally zoned and so limited to the area then.

I can't really be more specific as these kinds of questions are hard to answer. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and we all prioritise differently. For example, living near a beach or a beach suburb is not high on our wish list, so we are looking more inland to the hills when we buy. Decent schools are on our list so we are focusing our search on specific areas with decent primary schools to chose from and a good high school should we stay state and not go private then. Commute isn't a high priority as we don't have one per se so we are not limited by that.

What are your jobs? Knowing that might be helpful for people answering as they can be more specific re areas for commute etc.

Guest murphyslaw

hi many thanks for replys

im very new so bear with us, myself im a plasterer/builder and my partner debbie is a qualified teaching asst (NVQ 3) and also does Maths Intervention. .

i do have family in highbury and we are not sure if to be this side of adelaide or the other side

Have a look on the sol and csol to see if either of your jobs are on there. If they are just on the csol you will need state or employer sponsorship. So then look to see if sa has those jobs on their lists.

You then need to see if you could pass the skills assessment.

You are a long way off from picking schools just yet. Sorting everything out for visas can take years.

I don't see that many classroom assistants as there were in the UK. My kids school doesn't have any that I know of. Just teachers. Classes are smaller so perhaps this reflects on only having the one adult in the classroom. I think the largest class in the school is 24.

I'd do some research into how the system works here. I've heard it can be a case of having an in with the school, as in volunteering (usually as a parent), that a classroom assistant job is found.

Edited by snifter