Visas in hand and reccie booked for April 2014...need some input please!

wozzie2202

I've been lurking around on this site for a while but never really took the opportunity to post, but now we have finally secured our 190 Visas just before Christmas and are coming over on a reccie on 3rd April for a couple of weeks, it felt like the right time to start to reach out to people.

We comprises of me (42), OH (43) and 2 daughters 4 & 8. Our initial intention was to make the move this year, but family illness means that this will now more likely be early 2015 but we want to move over and have a look around and get a feel for Adelaide

When we come over we want to do sort of our own "wanted down under"; look at some properties, meet up with some local employers and hopefully meet up with a family or 2 who have already made the move for some words of wisdom.

Regarding jobs, I'm currently an HR Manager and hubby is in Transport and logistics as a General Transport Manager. We're certainly not of the opinion we are going to walk in to jobs and anticipate this as being one of our biggest challenges so the first thing we are keen to understand is which qualifications/skills are recognised and which ones do we need to brush up on so of there is anyone out there who knows what qualifications a Transport Manager needs in Oz particularly from a compliance perspective or could point us in the direction of someone who would be happy to talk to us when we visit that would be a great start. We're both open to career moves if it means securing employment - we both have training qualifications and I've worked in adult education as well.

Fortunately we have been used to moving around after spending over 10 years in and married to the armed forces! Starting from scratch, for me at least, is something which doesn't worry me quite as much as it worries my OH!

I would welcome any thoughts on "must dos" whilst we out in Adelaide as we can't continually drag the girls round houses and supermarkets etc all day! Also, if anyone would be happy to meet up when we come over who can share their experiences, it would be lovely to get together.

We're going to be staying in Glenelg so everywhere is fairly accessible. Regarding places to live, we have discussed this and as we say, it will be dependant on where we secure employment, so my thinking at this stage was to explore the north east, north west (although this seems to be the pricier area), Mount Barker and Hidden Valley/ Aberfoyle Park areas. Being close to the beach is not a major draw so from those who live on the eastern side of Adelaide, where is a good base for families with good primary feeder schools and with good routes in to the CBD?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I can't wait to get some replies.....April is fast approaching and we need to get ourselves organised!!

thanks again

Sarah

Guest Guest12727

Hi sarah,

You will have good opportunity to visit the suburbs you ahve mentioned while here.

We live in Highbury which is in the North East. We live close to Linear Park, which follows the Torrens River from the base of the hills through the city and onto the sea. There are walking/cycling paths the entire length and many people cycle to work along linear park. I commute to the city via the O-Bahn bus that travels along a track also following linear park for much of the route, very pleasant trip and very short. I can be at my desk 25mins after leaving home by driving and parking at the inter-change to get the O-Bahn. I could bus all the way from home (5min walk to bus stop) which would increase journey by 15-20mins.

The region is hilly with lots of trees and the birds, koalas and other wildlife that go with that environment. Our son went to Highbury Primary (state) and now goes to a private secondary school. The north-east suburbs along the foothills are all good options, being established suburbs with good facilities, good transport links into town and handy to all regions. The further east you go the more expensive it tends to be, so areas like Rostrevor, Athelstone, Highbury, Tea Tree Gully are a good compromise being that bit more affordable.

With the girls visit The Zoo, Cleland Wildlife Park, Some playgrounds http://www.playgroundfinder.com/listingstate.php?state=sa, great for running off some energy while having a picnic lunch in between all those engagements and the SA museum

It is worth checking out UniSA, Adelaide Uni, Flinders Uni and TAFE websites for jobs as you have worked in adult education.

Enjoy your trip - weather is usually great in April.

I've been lurking around on this site for a while but never really took the opportunity to post, but now we have finally secured our 190 Visas just before Christmas and are coming over on a reccie on 3rd April for a couple of weeks, it felt like the right time to start to reach out to people.

We comprises of me (42), OH (43) and 2 daughters 4 & 8. Our initial intention was to make the move this year, but family illness means that this will now more likely be early 2015 but we want to move over and have a look around and get a feel for Adelaide

When we come over we want to do sort of our own "wanted down under"; look at some properties, meet up with some local employers and hopefully meet up with a family or 2 who have already made the move for some words of wisdom.

Regarding jobs, I'm currently an HR Manager and hubby is in Transport and logistics as a General Transport Manager. We're certainly not of the opinion we are going to walk in to jobs and anticipate this as being one of our biggest challenges so the first thing we are keen to understand is which qualifications/skills are recognised and which ones do we need to brush up on so of there is anyone out there who knows what qualifications a Transport Manager needs in Oz particularly from a compliance perspective or could point us in the direction of someone who would be happy to talk to us when we visit that would be a great start. We're both open to career moves if it means securing employment - we both have training qualifications and I've worked in adult education as well.

Fortunately we have been used to moving around after spending over 10 years in and married to the armed forces! Starting from scratch, for me at least, is something which doesn't worry me quite as much as it worries my OH!

I would welcome any thoughts on "must dos" whilst we out in Adelaide as we can't continually drag the girls round houses and supermarkets etc all day! Also, if anyone would be happy to meet up when we come over who can share their experiences, it would be lovely to get together.

We're going to be staying in Glenelg so everywhere is fairly accessible. Regarding places to live, we have discussed this and as we say, it will be dependant on where we secure employment, so my thinking at this stage was to explore the north east, north west (although this seems to be the pricier area), Mount Barker and Hidden Valley/ Aberfoyle Park areas. Being close to the beach is not a major draw so from those who live on the eastern side of Adelaide, where is a good base for families with good primary feeder schools and with good routes in to the CBD?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I can't wait to get some replies.....April is fast approaching and we need to get ourselves organised!!

thanks again

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

We too are moving out Aprilish time but it will be a 1 way ticket and looking at Port Noarlunga area and we are similar ages to you and hubby, please keep in touch and it would be nice to try and catch up with you guys if we are there whilst you are on reccie or when you finally make the big move I am sure I will be able to help with you any questions you may have.

Bal & family, (Hubby Scott 42, Daughter 17 and Son 13)

thanks again

Sarah

I have to say I've never heard the north west being described as the pricier area - the eastern suburbs usually get this title. As for the eastern suburbs pretty much all suburbs are a good base for families with good primary schools. Anywhere either side of Magill road is good for links to the city - both public transport and driving. Or anywhere either side of The Parade. Or suburbs near Greenhill Road, or Kensington Road. Can't really comment on public transport anywhere except Magill Road though, but you can search for routes on adelaidemetro.com.au. Or google maps (you can get directions on google maps and select public transport as an option).

As for things to do I always loved visiting Cleland wildlife park while here on holidays. And the zoo. You could also check out the aquatic centre at North Adelaide (indoor pool).

I have to say I've never heard the north west being described as the pricier area - the eastern suburbs usually get this title. As for the eastern suburbs pretty much all suburbs are a good base for families with good primary schools. Anywhere either side of Magill road is good for links to the city - both public transport and driving. Or anywhere either side of The Parade. Or suburbs near Greenhill Road, or Kensington Road. Can't really comment on public transport anywhere except Magill Road though, but you can search for routes on adelaidemetro.com.au. Or google maps (you can get directions on google maps and select public transport as an option).

As for things to do I always loved visiting Cleland wildlife park while here on holidays. And the zoo. You could also check out the aquatic centre at North Adelaide (indoor pool).

Sorry, my error as I meant to say north east/east...north west seems more affordable and is perhaps more what we are looking for but I guess job prospects will largely dictate. Thanks again for he input.

Hi Sarah

This is a posting I put on another thread related to HR/training roles, just in case you haven't seen it...

I work in HR/Recruitment/Training roles. HR is difficult to get into and there is a lot of competition for the roles. I know of 3 HR professionals at a senior level (previous colleagues) that are struggling to gain work and have only managed to pick up short term contracts or ad-hoc part-time work. The Adelaide job market can be a strange one and I could give you all sorts of examples of someone being in the right place at the right time and securing work, so nothing is out of the question. I have moved into a training role as there is less competition for the roles compared to HR/Recruitment in the current economic climate.

Thanks for the input Jessica. I did see this post before and I certainly don't expect it to be easy. Persistence and networking are going to be key as is flexibility. Thankfully having moved around so frequently and lived in many different countries I realise how hard it can be to break through those barriers, and if I don't end up in an hr career, then all is not lost (less stress for a start!). Interesting that you state there is less competition for training roles? I have my CIPD diploma in L&D but I am assuming I will have to complete my TAFE Certificate in order to practice in oz or do you know if the qualification is transferable?

regards

Sarah

Hi Sarah and Jessica, am an HR Manager too .. planning to land to SA end of 2014 on 489 visa. Everyone says how difficult to find a job in HR due to competition.. Am intending to strive in finding a job in my career.. of course ; will be hard at begining ..maybe will look for a job in administration too.. I don't want my fear of staying jobless to conquer my will to establish a life in this lovely new continent along with my family.. will be a challenge but I don't have an option but to make it up :-) would love to keep in touch with you ..maybe have a cup of coffee in adelaide :-) cheers,

Thanks for the input Jessica. I did see this post before and I certainly don't expect it to be easy. Persistence and networking are going to be key as is flexibility. Thankfully having moved around so frequently and lived in many different countries I realise how hard it can be to break through those barriers, and if I don't end up in an hr career, then all is not lost (less stress for a start!). Interesting that you state there is less competition for training roles? I have my CIPD diploma in L&D but I am assuming I will have to complete my TAFE Certificate in order to practice in oz or do you know if the qualification is transferable?

regards

Sarah

The industry minimum standard within a training environment is a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. This doesn't just have to be studied at a TAFE, you can also go to privately run RTO's (Registered Training Organisations). My personal feeling is that you want to pay for a quality product at a reputable organisation rather than a 'tick and flick' exercise. While RPL can have its place (and you may be able to get RPL for some of your L&D Diploma) I personally believe that as a new migrant to the training system you would gain a much better learning experience/understanding by attending all the sessions/units (as opposed to an online version as well), it is also a great opportunity to network and make contacts, which could prove invaluable in Adelaide and also make some friends.

As you will appreciate, just as the same with HR, there are many areas of training. The skill set I have leans towards a particular role which tends to have less competition in terms of applicants, but this may not apply to all training roles, but I would generally estimate companies would get less applicants than HR/Recruitment roles.

Hi Sarah and Jessica, am an HR Manager too .. planning to land to SA end of 2014 on 489 visa. Everyone says how difficult to find a job in HR due to competition.. Am intending to strive in finding a job in my career.. of course ; will be hard at begining ..maybe will look for a job in administration too.. I don't want my fear of staying jobless to conquer my will to establish a life in this lovely new continent along with my family.. will be a challenge but I don't have an option but to make it up :-) would love to keep in touch with you ..maybe have a cup of coffee in adelaide :-) cheers,

I am not sure if Adelaide has a requirement for this many HR Managers, due to the size of the companies based here. The obstacles you may face at that level (and at lower levels) is not having the understanding and knowledge of Australian legislation for example and understanding the way Adelaide 'does business'. However, I would never say never and I do know of migrants that have secured HR/recruitment roles as their first jobs over here.

I am not sure if Adelaide has a requirement for this many HR Managers, due to the size of the companies based here. The obstacles you may face at that level (and at lower levels) is not having the understanding and knowledge of Australian legislation for example and understanding the way Adelaide 'does business'. However, I would never say never and I do know of migrants that have secured HR/recruitment roles as their first jobs over here.

Thank you Jessica for your comment.. am sure it won't be easy at all.. definitely if will work in HR career will have to go through courses to get the required knowledge of local and labor laws/legislations. Actually, I used to be an executive assistant for many years before had a career shift to HR years ago. My only wish now is finding an averave office job until settling down. The idea of leaving our decent jobs in our home country and migrate to spend our savings (which will hardly cover few months considering Oz cost of living) is dreadful.. but the whole journey and objective worth trying and be stubborn to achieve it :-)

Hi Sarah and Jessica, am an HR Manager too .. planning to land to SA end of 2014 on 489 visa.

Hedy - Just in case you haven't seen my numerous posts about arriving at the end of the year, as a general rule Nov/Dec/Jan will be the slowest/more difficult times to gain work, so I always advise that if people are arriving leading up to this timeframe it may take them longer to secure work and to take this into consideration.

Hedy - Just in case you haven't seen my numerous posts about arriving at the end of the year, as a general rule Nov/Dec/Jan will be the slowest/more difficult times to gain work, so I always advise that if people are arriving leading up to this timeframe it may take them longer to secure work and to take this into consideration.

Dear Jessica,

It is true..I came by your post before and I completely agree with u.. but as am engaged to work until end of october 2014.. I can not come before.. based on ur recommendation, I guess that this will let with the option of coming early jan 2015, to settle down and look to enroll the kids in school as well! So actually will start looking for a job as of Feb2015.. what do u think?

Dear Jessica,

It is true..I came by your post before and I completely agree with u.. but as am engaged to work until end of october 2014.. I can not come before.. based on ur recommendation, I guess that this will let with the option of coming early jan 2015, to settle down and look to enroll the kids in school as well! So actually will start looking for a job as of Feb2015.. what do u think?

You need to do whatever suits your circumstances. It is just something to take into consideration.

Dear Jessica,

Another thing to keep in mind is that schools are out on summer holidays till the end of January. Sure the office is open from earlier in Jan to go visit etc but no kids in school till the very end of the month.