opportunities in South Australia

Guest jason321

Guest jason321

Hello

My name is jason, hoping to make the big move out to Australia some time this year, does any body know the best areas for construction work at this present time as I will be looking for a role as a Site Manager/Supervisor. My trade back ground is a bricklayer/stone mason.

I have a family, a wife and two of my children whom will be coming to Australia with me. My daughter is 13 and really doesn't want to go, so would appreciate any help in us settling into Australia meeting other families with children of similar ages. My son is 5 and is keen on football and swimming.

Any comments on anything that will help us in emigrating would be much appreciated.

We are coming from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Jason

Guest jason321
Hi Jason

Have you spotted this thread? If not, I would suggest having a read as the information is related to the construction industry.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/41402-construction-companies-sponsor-qs-estimator-project-manager.html

Thanks jessica i have already sorted my visa so dont need a sponser but do need a job when i get there i will be able to work anyware in south australia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason,

My OH is from Batley! His father is a brickie / stonemason and he still lives in Carlinghow, Batley.

My OH's brother is also a bricklayer and has been going through a very rough time. There are so many Yorkshire people that have made the move...

It's normal for teenagers to be reluctant about the move. At least at 13 years old she will meet loads of new friends at school and this will help the settling in process. My own kids were late teens and a regret is that we didn't move a few years earlier.

A lot of people are wondering what the construction industry is going to do. There has been a downturn for the past couple of years and the recent "upswing" in the property market and new construction is dependant upon so many factors.

Our state government will likely change in the next few weeks so best to keep an eye on what's happening.

Tamara

Guest jason321

cheers Tamara construction is picking up here and is tipped to be a bit of a boom this year and especially next year with the housing market so i hope this will be the same in south Australia . I have been sponsored by the south australian goverment for my visa so there must be a demand for my role there just wanting to find the best suberb/areas to move to in south Aus

cheers

jase

Hi Jason, Adelaide and the surrounds are not really all that big and a 1hr drive from the CBD will get cover a vast area. What type of construction do you have supervisory experience on? The way they do things here are very different from the UK, house building for example, you could be building one on a northern development and across to five on a southern development, and then across to two somewhere else. I my self have worked on Multi mil$ airport aprons and taxiways, to hockey pitches and at present a carpark.

Any specific questions regarding construction please ask and I will answer the best I can.

Keith

Guest Claire-n-tel
I have been sponsored by the south australian goverment for my visa so there must be a demand for my role there

Unfortunatly Jase that does not always translate. Also bear in mind that south australia is a big place and there may well be a need for a particular profession in some of the outback places maybe 1000km away from Adelaide but not much actually in or around Adelaide itself ....

Good luck c&t

Guest jason321

Thanks Keith most of my experiance is in the commercial side schools,supermarkets etc but since the down turn its been the social housing whats been the main employer in the construction in the uk up north anyway so thats what i have been in ,but much prefer the larger commercial projects

Thanks

Jase

I have been sponsored by the south australian goverment for my visa so there must be a demand for my role there just wanting to find the best suberb/areas to move to in south Aus

I would agree with Claire regarding the above statement. In my opinion being sponsored for a visa does not mean your job is in demand, it means you meet the criteria to gain a visa.

I recommend you read the link below that I started some time ago...

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/jobs-careers/37844-sa-migration-website-no-guarantee-employment.html

The link I posted previously on this thread also gives a picture of the construction industry. I understand you have the visa and are not looking for sponsorship, but the information contained in the thread will be useful.

Thanks Keith most of my experiance is in the commercial side schools,supermarkets etc but since the down turn its been the social housing whats been the main employer in the construction in the uk up north anyway so thats what i have been in ,but much prefer the larger commercial projects

Thanks

Jase

With that type of work then for continuity you are talking more of working around the bigger towns/cities, whether Adelaide and surrounds has an abundance of work in that type varies all the time but things do look as though they are picking-up at present. I would suggest you drive around everywhere looking for active sites call in to see the site manager, foreman, supervisor (you can be called all those) to get some contact names and addresses of companies, also a sneaky look at how they do things.

Good luck Jase

Keith.