new member needing some advice

Guest kezza01

Guest kezza01

Hi all, we are a family of 5 and have only just started the ball rolling towards the big move to Oz. We are all so excited but I know we have a long, long way to go. I have booked my husband In to do the general English test on the 15th march. can anyone give some tips on getting through the test please?

we are looking at moving to Adelaide but not sure which area for primary school and high school? we will be renting a furnished house (holiday let) to start of with so quite flexible with areas. Are there any areas to avoid?

I have been doing lots of homework but have noticed that a lot of what I read is from 2007 which is not very helpful as we all know things change. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kerry

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Kerry :smile: welcome!.....

what visa are you applying for tbh it is probably far to early to be thinking about areas and schools, there is so much that happens before that....

If you really want to look at areas start with what your/partners job is and where that would be likely to be based......

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi, You can get sample questions for the IELTS online I think. We made the move last year and I had to sit the test when applying for our visa and it is worth doing the practice questions. Good luck it is worth all the trouble in the end especially when you spend quality family time outdoors in this wonderful country.

Hi Kerry,

The test consists of writting, listening ,reading and oral test. The reading consists of reading a piece of text and extracting information from it to answer some questions. The listening exam, you listen to a tape recording then answer some multiple choice questions based on what you just heard. For the reading part, I would swat up on punctuation, spelling, and how to correctly set out a letter. I think I had to write a letter to my local council complaining about the rubbish, I also had to write a short essay on my thoughts for and against children being left home alone. They are looking for you to display good reasoning skills and a good range of vocabulary so plenty of big words!! For the oral test, I had to talk about myself, where I lived, any local issues and about my personal views on issues such as climate change and the global economy etc. the exams are pretty much like when you were at school, no talking or looking around the room, put your pen down when told etc. The oral test was easy and the assessors are really nice and will put you at ease.

Do you have any preferences on which suburbs you would like to live in? North or South of Adelaide etc? My daughter was 16 when we arrived in January so I don't know much about primary schools etc, but others will be able to help more if you have an idea of where you would to settle.

Guest kezza01

hi all, I know it is very early days but I just want to gather all the info I can get because my husband works long hours so I am on my own with the research side of things. currently I have filled out about 20 pages lol

we are looking at southern Adelaide and been told to avoid Elizabeth, Woodville, port Adelaide, some parts of morphette vale, christies beach, hackham in the south, Noarlunga area in the south (huntsfield heights), Mansfield park, Kilkenny and Lonsdale. is that correct?

we have never visited Australia before so getting the area right is so important. we are applying for a skilled independent permanent visa so it will be a oneway journey and no going back. we are not scared of leaving the uk but scared of getting the area wrong as we know there is good and bad wherever you go.

@ Rhonda - is that the general English test? wow! my husband best get prepared if it is lol

kerry