Thinking of moving to Adalaide form Perth. Anxious and worried about it all .......

Guest Lancashire lass

Guest Lancashire lass

Hi people, love this forum. We currently live in perth and have been here for 2 years. Settled ok with a few ups and downs and spending lots of cash on stuff we hadn't budgeted for. Husband found work in IT no problem, he has a rare useful skill that seems to be in need!. I am a nurse and have struggled to bet work due to a long career break and looking after 3 kids and a no new contract policy at all the local state hospitals.With perseverance I am now working so things are looking up. We struggle to make enough money to live. We stupidly but the kids in a private school when we arrived not totally undderstanding this over here and now have a massive education bill each month. Oh why did we get sucked into it and I now know the state school are just as good. Anyway we don't feel we are in the right place. Perth is soooo expensive and we would never be able to buy any property for a good few years while saving for a deposit. We also feel we are to far from perth right down south. This has meant we are isolated from the city and have only been 3 times. I would like a smaller city that was accessible and able to become involved. In .Also , I was born a small village country girl and would love a small rural community that was near the city.

We love the sound of adalaide and the hills and the properties are more affordable in our range and the chance to get one with a good view and a bit of space and a rural feel.

i know jobs are hard to get and the thought of all the upheaval again scares me but I just feel I would like to try it. Perth is great if you work on the mines and get paid a fortune to buy your big toys.

i have explored some suberbs and Blackwood, athelstone and tee tree gully look nice . Kids are 13 12 and 6 but not discussed it with them yet.

i fell a bit like we have failed in perth which I know we haven't. We have had some great expereinecs and love it very much but it doesn't feel quite right.

do we stay and plod on and hope we can earn more money one day or jump on to somewhere I think would suit us all better as a family.

i know no one can tell us what to do but others experience of adalaide would be great to here . Anyone else moved from perth?

hope,someone has some words of wisdom.

thanks

lancashire lass

Guest BurgessFamily

Defo needs a LOT of thought and consideration. You need to determine what is different, what is the same, what you'd be getting that you don't get now, and what you will be giving up.

The property prices are lower in SA, but so can be the wages. It can be expensive living close to the city, but there are some nice suburbs all over.

Why not take your kids out of private and put them in public? sell the uniforms and get second hand ones for the new school if necessary - many do it. Sometimes the smallest changes can have the greatest impact.

Good luck though :)

Edited by BurgessFamily

Hi there. I would definitely research IT jobs for your husband before going any further. The IT market in Adelaide is small. My husband works in IT and his employer is laying people off right now. (Yes very worried!). I totally agree with the suggestion to make small changes where you are, changing schools etc. You've put in a lot of work and money to get where you are now so don't throw all that away.

I hope everything improves for you.

We stupidly but the kids in a private school when we arrived not totally undderstanding this over here and now have a massive education bill each month. Oh why did we get sucked into it and I now know the state school are just as good.

Obviously if you were to move here the kids would have to go through the turmoil of changing school, so why not tick that one off the list and get them in a state school where you are now and remove that expense?

As already advised, I'd visit first and think carefully before you both give up jobs to make the move.

Perth house prices are high, but wages are generally higher than in Adelaide. Whereabouts are you currently? It must be some distance if you've only been to Perth itself three times! Are you on the coast or inland? Prices can drop quite a bit once you travel inland a bit. Somewhere like Bridgetown (not commuting distance to Perth, I know!) has prices similar to what you'd find in Adelaide - would moving somewhere like that be feasible, rather than changing state?

Have you also taken into consideration the heavy removal costs involved from Perth to Adelaide? Or do you want to sell your cars (2700 km distance between those 2 cities with 3 children in a car) and furniture and start from scratch again? I'm referring to what you've mentioned about a lot of stuff you hadn't budgeted for...

In my opinion Perth has more opportunities jobwise than Adelaide and your hubby still has a job.