To Go or Not To Go

Guest madster

Guest madster

Hi everyone,My name is Andy and as a new member to this site i hope some of you can help with my predicament.I have been told i can apply for a temporary visa in adelaide with my wife and two kids(13 and 9) and we are desperate to get going but with the cost being very expensive to emigrate we were thinking of not visiting and just going for it as it would save a lot of money (which we dont have) and could be spent on the fees.Has anyone done this and did it work out ?? or is this a complete no no?Hope someone has some good news WE ARE DESPERATE TO GO

:unsure::confused:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We didnt bother with having a lookie, although we had been to Sydney and Cairns. Not that you compare the 3!

Now this is my personnal opinion ...I think its not worth the recci because even though you wont be doing "holiday" things you will only be here for a couple of weeks and this wont give you an ides of what it is like to live here, which is what you will ultimatly be doing.

Its all very well coming with your english earned wage as everything will look cheap, but once you are earning ozzie dollars it will look different, unless you are one of the lucky ones who will earn the same in dollars as they did in pounds.

If you want to come to see what it looks like then go for it, because I have heard of lots of people who dont like what it looks like when they get here! High hopes of utopia and all that!

sarah

Hi,

We're in a similar position to you - we can't do a reccie, the money could be put to far better use elsewhere at the moment, so we're just gonna go for it when the time comes.

I know lots of people on PIA have been on reccies and have found it invaluable - I suppose its all down to a personal choice and how far you can stretch those £'s. I'm sure there's plenty of people on here who haven't been over before, I'm bet they post soon.

Lots of people at work think we're mad seeing as we've never been to Oz before, but we just don't have the resources at this moment in time.

Hope it all works out for you. :D

Guest Nick11

We didn't visit adelaide before, but went to brisbane - as in our niavity we thought we could get a permanent visa!

As it is - I'm glad we came here.

Much nicer - more of a family feel.

Personally if money is an issue - I would forget the reccie and just emigrate sight unseen.

Guest donna T

We didn;t do a reccie - not enough money in the pot!

Glad we didn;t though because Adelaide sort of grows on you after a while whilst it may not have that instant wow factor of the more tropical parts of Australia. We love it here.

In for a penny, I always say:huh:

Donna x

Guest mOZzy

we haven't done a reccie and won't before we actually go - just like you, the money is better used somewhere else!

i'd say if you all are 100% up for it just go! if someone needs conviencing then a reccie might be in order ... after all everyone needs to be fully comitted or it won't work (at least that's what i think)

i think in all the time i've 'talked' to my online friends during this long process i know of 1 who went for a reccie and decided it was not for them...

do your research online, through friends, via meetups - that should help you in your decision. it helped us :D

Guest madster

Thanks everyone who has written a post .its reassuring to know we are not the only ones .I think we will just go for it the money will be better spent on everything else.My wife is the worrier i am more just do it, dont know if this is a man thing but here we come

And I'll just add here that most of the last waves of migrants didn't reccie, they came with whatever they had and worked hard, saving every penny they could spare to build their life here. I looked at a house recently where the family had built a two roomed shed to live in in the bottom of the garden, while they paid for their house to be built bit by bit.( This was in the 50s when people probably didn't expect so much). Some of these migrants paid for cement weekly to gradually pave round their house. Now these migrants are prosperous and their children have reaped the benefits.

Guest janice davidson

hi andy , we are in the same predicament as you where the costs are concerned, we would like to no how much it all costs from beginning to end. we visited adelaide in2004 for 3 weeks and we fell in love with the place. there seemed to be alot of work and the people were very friendly, the beaches are ace especially glenelg, transport was good and there is plenty to do. could you reply back and let us no what you have been quoted... dad, mum and 2 daughters 13 and 2 thanks janice.:arghh:

Guest janice davidson

hi andy , we are in the same predicament as you where the costs are concerned, we would like to no how much it all costs from beginning to end. we visited adelaide in2004 for 3 weeks and we fell in love with the place. there seemed to be alot of work and the people were very friendly, the beaches are ace especially glenelg, transport was good and there is plenty to do. could you reply back and let us no what you have been quoted... dad, mum and 2 daughters 13 and 2 thanks janice.:arghh:

Guest angiestaff
Hi everyone,My name is Andy and as a new member to this site i hope some of you can help with my predicament.I have been told i can apply for a temporary visa in adelaide with my wife and two kids(13 and 9) and we are desperate to get going but with the cost being very expensive to emigrate we were thinking of not visiting and just going for it as it would save a lot of money (which we dont have) and could be spent on the fees.Has anyone done this and did it work out ?? or is this a complete no no?Hope someone has some good news WE ARE DESPERATE TO GO

:unsure::confused:

hi andy,

my mate and her husband planned on moving to new zealand and went on hols but HATED it so decided on aus (adelaide) and never visted and now they have been there 2 years and LOVE IT!!!!... it's risky but hey u don't know till u try do u??

angie

Guest madster
hi andy,

my mate and her husband planned on moving to new zealand and went on hols but HATED it so decided on aus (adelaide) and never visted and now they have been there 2 years and LOVE IT!!!!... it's risky but hey u don't know till u try do u??

angie

Thanks Angie,Thats exactly what i have been telling my wife