Bridgewater, Adelaide Hills

mac

Guest Claire-n-tel
Hi. we are moving to Adelaide next year and we were looking at moving to Bridgewater in Adelaide Hills. Has anyone been here before or knows what the area is like? Many thanks:smile:

Can i ask why you are thinking of moving to that particular town?.....i've not been there just passed by the junction lots of times, but just wondering? (aka nosey!) :rolleyes:

We (wife and two kids) have been in Bridgewater 'Bridgey' just over 2 years moving from east lothian in Scotland. Bridgewater has a supermarket, butcher, pharmacy, GP surgery, organic shop, dentist, laundry, nice pub. Adjacent village of Aldgate and nearest town Stirling are both trendier (lots of restaurants, coffee shops) but more expensive to rent or buy. Stirling has a brilliant library.

2minutes from Bridgewater to freeway, then 10 minutes to edge of city. We like visiting beaches along adelaide city coast and they are all about 30-40 minutes drive.

We picked Bridgewater as it has a good primary school and also the hills are a bit cooler (2-4C) in summer so a bit gentler on our pale blue scottish skin. Also easy to get to know people in the hills as it is small community.

All in all very happy here and will hopefully be buying a house in the area in the next couple of months.

Anything else just ask.

Good luck mac from,

Graham, Eilidh, Rowan (10), Fergus (12)

We have been doing some research on the internet and came across Bridgewater and other surrounding suburbs and Bridgewater seemed the sort of area we wanted to live in and raise our 3 children. The schools had an excellent write-up, it's not too far from Adelaide (but far enough away) There is reasonable house prices to rent, it has all the amenities we need. Overall it just seems like a really nice picturesque area to start out new life!

We don't live in Bridegwater but do live up in the hills. It's a very nice place and an easy drive to other nice places - Stirling, Crafers, Aldgate, Hahndorf etc - and easy into Mount Barker and (relatively) easy to the city (at busy times from the bottom of the freeway into the city easily account for most of the journey time - getting down the freeway itself is the easy bit).

For us, that part of the hills is just a bit too full of trees and bush for us to feel comfortable on those hot, dry, windy days ... everywhere up there carries a heightened fire risk, but some places seem a bit too much of a risk. Plenty of others don't see that as a major factor, though!

Do you get issues with millipedes? I remember visiting a friends house in the hills and wondering what all these creatures were crawling along their walls and then suddenly the wife grabbed the hoover and started sucking them up! We live fairly close to the city and it wasn't something I had seen before. We have had a millipede invasion at work this week and it has been driving the poor cleaner mad as there are squashed bits of millipedes all over the floor!!!

Do you get issues with millipedes? I remember visiting a friends house in the hills and wondering what all these creatures were crawling along their walls and then suddenly the wife grabbed the hoover and started sucking them up! We live fairly close to the city and it wasn't something I had seen before. We have had a millipede invasion at work this week and it has been driving the poor cleaner mad as there are squashed bits of millipedes all over the floor!!!

Not sure if you're asking me but if so no we don't. We see the odd one outside but none inside and certainly nowhere near as many as when we lived down on the plains (Northgate), where several times a day (at least that's how it seemed) we'd be sweeping them up in the hallway.

Laughing at Blossoms comment. yep never imagined the need to chop firewood when we arrived in Oz but had the stove going alot during the winter - no double glazing or wall insulation in our rental and had a couple of mornings just above 0c.

piccie outside our front door after rain this week when loads of portugese millipedes appeared from nowhere. In our rental we have also had two small scorpions in the house. Pretty big redback spiders in the garden. In the reserve backing onto the house our kids have spotted a red bellied black snake. We also all spotted a brown snake sunning itself on the creek rocks next to Bridgewater oval. And I often find huntsman spiders washing the car. But that's all we've found in 2 years and might not be typical of wildlife in Bridgewater.

Our bush fire plan is to leave on catastrophic days and we have taken our caravan down into town for the night for two catastrohic days now. No stress for us and we are not equipped like alot of locals are to stay and defend.

Also a plug for bush bash event at our kids school on Friday 4th April http://www.bridgeps.sa.edu.au/docs/BBBB%20Flyer.pdf

Good fun, lots of kids games, great band playing and some great Adelaide Hills wines from the bar.

portugese millipedes.jpg

car washing danger.jpg

redback spider.jpg