Struggling registered nurse in Adelaide!

Guest danbrown162

Guest danbrown162

Hi all!

I'm Dan, a 23 year old nurse from the UK on a working holiday visa currently residing in Adelaide. I have been desperately looking to try and find a way of obtaining a 457 visa with the intention of applying for PR further down the line however I just cannot seem to find any hospitals that are taking on staff!

I am currently with an agency for which I am lucky to get one shift per week. Same scenario in Sydney. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places?

I am hoping someone is in the know and can help me out as I just don't know where to turn now! Do agencies even sponsor anymore?

Kind regards,

Dan Brown

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

Try recruitment agency, I came over 5years ago with PROFCO professional connections. They found me a hospital organised interviews and sorted all the visa paperwork. I got PR within 6 months and am now a citizen. I think there are less job opportunities at the moment but hopefully you will find something. Good luck.

Sue

Guest danbrown162

Really in an ideal world I'd want to stay in Adelaide CBD...But I have a car and am willing to drive 40 minutes give or take to work!

Back home I worked in Neuro (trauma/rehab) which I was pretty confident in however since being in Australia the agencies have had barely any work thus I have probably de-skilled.

My american friend suggested PROFCO, going to apply to that now! I really wanted to get into the Royal Adelaide public hospital but I haven't seen a job advertised in over a month!

I really wanted to get into the Royal Adelaide public hospital but I haven't seen a job advertised in over a month!

Have you approached the hospital(s) direct? Sometimes it may pay to leave your resume at the Hospital(s) and check in with HR staff regularly.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Dan!.....how much experience do you have in neuro?.....do you have a post grad qualification in it?

Edited by Claire-n-tel

Guest danbrown162

I tried the direct route however the receptionist was adamant they didn't have an hr department anymore and that it was all done online. Thinking this was odd I did quiz her a bit more but she didn't budge.

No post grad qualification, just the experience!

Guest Claire-n-tel
No post grad qualification, just the experience!

How much full time experience do you have? and when did you last hold a full time post?

Guest danbrown162

I've signed up to the SA job site. Currently from what I can see there is nothing on there. I had one year post grad experience on the neuro surg ward and then a further 3 months agency in the UK and a further 5 months here in Australia (Agency). I left my neuro job sept 2013

My daughter worked in several Nursing Homes whiles she was studying her Nursing Degree and she always appiied directly to each one. They were always on the look out for registered nurses as there was a fair turnover, but that was about 8 years ago

Try these: http://www.padman.com.au/occupations.php and these: https://www.southerncrosscare.com.au/careers and these: http://www.helpinghand.org.au/careers/career-vacancies or even this: http://jobs.sahealthcareers.com.au/jobDetails.asp?sJobIDs=535498&lLocationID=&lWorkTypeID=&lCategoryID=&stp=AW&sLanguage=en. Any of them may lead to another. Or why not send your resume directly to the hospitals, especially the Repat,(RGH) where your experience may be useful.

Guest ac2213

As a nurse, I recommend you keep an eye for jobs on Seek (mainly private hospitals etc) or for jobs in the public sector check jobs.sahealthcareers.com.au

When I returned from the UK I was advised to apply for a casual position at the RAH in order to gain access to the internal positions being posted. Having worked in SA Health recently (in the country as no positions I wanted were available in metropolitan areas) I can say that most positions are only being advertised internally. I would recommend you contact the RAH if you are keen to work there and find out the name of the neuro ward and nurse manager and apply directly. It used to be R7 but think that may have changed. Previous friends and colleagues have found jobs from contacting the managers directly as even though they may not be advertising, they are generally always looking for staff. I would try the private hospitals - Burnside, Ashford, Calvary and St Andrews too. The private system is probably easier to get into at the moment.

Guest Sarah1986

Hi Dan :) my mum also had trouble finding work as a registered nurse, I have some info for you but not sure if they can help you but try them anyway as they are always hiring nurses, first one is Home Support Services on Fullerton road Parkside, you can also try Southern Cross Care, Anglicare and Hendercare :) all based either in or just outside the city, I hope this helps in some way :)

You should take your CV into every hospital, clinic and nursing home directly. I know at Noarlunga Hospital you could take it to the Nursing Admin dept and sell yourself to them.... I assume you are prepared to give any area a shot???? Check the sa health careers website as well. Can't you still apply for an independent visa?? Used to be the 175 I think. Good luck

Guest danbrown162

Hi guys, thanks for all the useful info!

Just going through it all now! As for going in direct to wards, I thought this may seem a little over keen but desperate times... And I would apply for the independent visa (this would be a much better/flexible option) however, I'd need to score 8 across board on the IELTS and I am told this is rather difficult. I don't fancy spending $$$ on something that may not get me any closer to staying in Oz. This is something I'd consider doing from the UK when I am earning more though.

In the UK if there was a job available, 99% of the time it would be listed direct via the hospital website or NHSjobs. In Australia though, it seems that most jobs are filled by word of mouth... I will get there though!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danbrown162
Hi

i work in the RAH and I know a ward manager who rates British nurses but recently when recruiting she was advised she wouldn't be allowed to sponsor anyone so they would need their own visa. Things change all the time though!

IELTS isn't as bad as it seems :)

good luck!

Oh no!! I really have come at the worse possible time it would seem! RAH is where I kinda pictured myself working.... The plan is to get my second year and continue applying to everywhere with the hope of something coming through.