Nervous, scared, excited.....

Guest Angelface0406

Guest Angelface0406

Hello everyone,

Im Charley, my young family and I have been given the opportunity to move out to Adelaide due to recent new family connections through my partners father and siblings in aus. Weve discovered that my partner Ben is actually half Australian so we are in the process of applying for his citizenship in order for us to all go over in sept/oct time. Everything seems to be moving pretty fast and weve also had a offer on our flat that weve accepted. I am excited but i cant help but feel really scared. Ive researched Adelaide inside out including schools for our 2 year old daughter and rental properties. We are going to be staying with my partners father for a while and he is going to be working in the family business so we have got a good foundation to go to.

We haven't got much family here other than my mum whom im really close to. She is currently studying a nursing degree at uni, and is planning to come join us when she is finished her degree in a couple of years. Im my mums only child and i have her only grandchild. She is not married either, can anyone give my any advice on how easy it will be for me to get my mum over to us when she finishes. Ive looked at different visas on the aus gov website but I keep finding things that state it could be a 13 year wait!??? This is something that really effects how i feel about going to Aus.

I am also having trouble looking for potential work in Adelaide, i will be unable to work for the first 12 months due to my partner visa, however i wanted to start investigating potential employers. I currently work as a teaching assistant in a special needs/ autistic school there doesnt seem to be a great deal of these in Adelaide? Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I just hope we are making the right decision as a family it seems so difficult to be sure, one day i wake up and im full of excitement the next day i wake up and i cry all-day. Please tell me this is normal, i feel like a crazy woman :)

Many thanks

Charley

First of all, if you come over on a three month tourist visa (without having anything in your luggage making it look like you are moving) then you can apply for a partner visa on shore. Then when the three month tourist visa runs out you would go onto bridging visa a. When you apply for a partner visa you are then given full work rights on the bridging visa.

Have you visited before?

Guest Angelface0406

Yes our immigration lawyer has informed us of that but he said i wouldnt be able to work? Maybe because my daughter is 2?

My family live in Perth, so have only visited there never to Adelaide!!!

The rules changed a year or so ago. You have to apply onshore, but once your current visa runs out you can indeed work (which is why it's better to get the three month one than the year one).

Personally I'd be looking at getting another agent if yours doesn't know something that basic.

Guest Angelface0406
The rules changed a year or so ago. You have to apply onshore, but once your current visa runs out you can indeed work (which is why it's better to get the three month one than the year one).

Personally I'd be looking at getting another agent if yours doesn't know something that basic.

Thanks for your reply, have you got any other advice regarding the rest of my post?

The whole scenario has confused me, I know things change but I was able to work from the day I arrived in Aus on a partner visa, and the website below seems to say the same?

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/309-100.aspx

Guest Guest12727

For teaching assistant here you need to look at School Services Officer (SSO) positions. Each school only has a few, not in every classroom - so few jobs about. However your experience may give an edge. There are some Special schools, but often they try to integrate into mainstream.

Guest Claire-n-tel
The whole scenario has confused me, I know things change but I was able to work from the day I arrived in Aus on a partner visa

I think because you arrived on a partner visa Blossom is talking about arriving on a tourist visa and then applying onshore for the partner visa

How old is your mum? Will she be able to apply for a state sponsored visa given she will be a nurse (or a different visa based on her career)? If she meets the requirements (I am not sure what they are in relation to age and career experience but it cant hurt to look into it) then that is definitely a lot less of a waiting period than 13 years! I vaguely recall there is an option where your mum could get a visa for a 6 month period every year so she could look at doing that for a while (not sure if it would allow her to work or not).

Have a look at this link - it gives you the visa options based on certain criteria

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/Find-a-visa.aspx

I think you might need to speak to a different migration agent though as partner visas (once granted) give you the right to work from the moment you hit Aussie shores (if you can find employment) and it would be your decision as to whether or not you would want to work given your daughters age and childcare availability/affordability. Temporary partner visas (the first 2 years of your visa) dont allow you to claim unemployment benefits from the government but you can work if you chose to.

Perhaps your immigration agent meant you cannot work if you go over on a tourist visa - you should be able to work if you apply for a partner visa onshore and get a bridging visa in the meantime (I think). Although from what other posters have said on other threads onshore applications take about 13 months for approval whereas offshore ones are currently running at about 8-9 months (so it may be quicker to apply offshore as it also gives you the chance to spend more time with your mother before leaving).

And dont worry, the vascillating emotions is COMPLETELY normal! I am Aussie and my partner is British and we hope to get approval by Aug this year and move back to Adelaide shortly thereafter. He is very gung ho about moving but also has days where he isnt so sure (family arent much of an issue as he doesnt have a lot to do with them - their choice) and even I have a few days where I think is uprooting his whole life and our 2 kids lives the right thing to do but then I realise that Adelaide is where we both want to raise our kids (1 and 2 years old) and we have more family (mine) there for support than we do here. It is always going to seem like a huge decision and you will always worry about its effect on you and your family and every day will bring new feelings of yes or no but if you can say the decision to move is the best one for your family in general then the ups and downs will sort themselves out eventually and you will be happy with your decision.

Guest ColinOz

how common is to get a "no further stay" condition in a tourist visa?

The OP is on a partner visa though, not sure why Blossom added the other option?

No, her husband is currently applying for citizenship. After he gets that they need to apply for the partner visa, which takes a lot longer than the time they want to come in. So the only option for the time frame is to come in on a tourist visa and then apply for the partner visa. It would be SO much easier if they already had the partner visa. ;)

Guest Guest12727
No, her husband is currently applying for citizenship. After he gets that they need to apply for the partner visa, which takes a lot longer than the time they want to come in. So the only option for the time frame is to come in on a tourist visa and then apply for the partner visa. It would be SO much easier if they already had the partner visa. ;)

Does it take that long to get Citizenship through birth these days? When we applied for my son it came through in about 6weeks, but that was over 10yrs ago.

I applied in September for a partner visa in Sept and moved in January. I reckon if the OP's citzenship comes through in time, they can get the partner visa as well and move together.

Also, if you are applying for citizenship you can't then get another visa can you? So if his citizenship hasn't come through, he wont be coming either?

Edited by adelaidenow

The estimated processing time for an offshore partner visa at the moment is 6 months

Off shore has been running at about 8-9 months for a long time now. The website seems very out of date. On shore is around 13 months atm tho some come in quicker but it's not a certainty.