Wonderful Adelaide... but I thought it was easier!

Guest laLara

Guest laLara

Hello everyone!

I and my OH have finally arrived in our dreamplace that is Adelaide! Everything is more beautiful than we expected: great nature, wonderful food, nice and kind people, sun....

We've just moved in a house that is for us a paradise: lots of space, garden, view on the city and on the sea....

It's been a long way to this part of the goal that is getting the permanent resident visa and start settling here. I must admit that it surprised me to find out that Adelaide has really a lot in common with Italy: I expected a completely different environment, society, habits and attitudes, as I experienced in USA and Canada (starting from the coffee! :biggrin: ). Instead so many times I and my OH say: "weren't we flying to Australia?". We're happy every corner is so familiar that we felt at ease from the very first moment!

Should I find a negative aspect: I expected that getting a job was definitely easier and quicker. This is frustrating at the moment, actually, and keeps this Paradise still a little detached. Is it for the damned "crisis", is it because we're migrants, is it for who knows the reason.... I just hope this (apparent) lack of offers will disappear asap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to share with you experiences and advices! Thanks!

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Sounds like you're settling in well which is one hurdle to tick off. Have to agree with Blossom do your research, make contact and positive things will happen to your already positive first experiences.

Good luck to you both and keep us posted....let's share the positives vibes folks xxx

Guest laLara

Thank you all for the wishes!! Hope there will be occasions in which to meet and share our stories in front of a nice glass of wine! :wubclub:

@DougM: I am a designer (exhibition, display, interior, retail....), while my husband is a mechanical designer/draftsperson. I found some good contacts I hope will lead to some job (or casual consultancies, to start?). My Husband is experiencing the bigger difficulties. Mine is a creative sector, so it is quite common to write "gobsmacking" messages, invite for a coffee catch up. His is an engineering sector, so we don't know how to go beyond the cold job advertisements...

Hello its hard for everyone I think re getting a job unless you are very lucky how long have you been here ? You mention Italy and City views it sounds very much like the area we used to live good luck with finding something what do you do ?

Hello everyone!

I and my OH have finally arrived in our dreamplace that is Adelaide! Everything is more beautiful than we expected: great nature, wonderful food, nice and kind people, sun....

We've just moved in a house that is for us a paradise: lots of space, garden, view on the city and on the sea....

It's been a long way to this part of the goal that is getting the permanent resident visa and start settling here. I must admit that it surprised me to find out that Adelaide has really a lot in common with Italy: I expected a completely different environment, society, habits and attitudes, as I experienced in USA and Canada (starting from the coffee! :biggrin: ). Instead so many times I and my OH say: "weren't we flying to Australia?". We're happy every corner is so familiar that we felt at ease from the very first moment!

Should I find a negative aspect: I expected that getting a job was definitely easier and quicker. This is frustrating at the moment, actually, and keeps this Paradise still a little detached. Is it for the damned "crisis", is it because we're migrants, is it for who knows the reason.... I just hope this (apparent) lack of offers will disappear asap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to share with you experiences and advices! Thanks!

oh just googled where that is, we were in Athelstone, but still very much like italy there, lots of Italians and we had city views and you could see the sea on a really good day, I even worked for an italian company in the city ;) so I really did think I was in italy every day x

Hi Kadina. We're in Panorama.

Guest laLara

We have some friends in Rostrevor, quite close to Athelstone. Almost all houses there "contain" Italian families! :-D

(but actually wherever you go there's at least and Italian name for a cafè!)

Yes Rostrevor I know it well, I loved it over that way ;)

We have some friends in Rostrevor, quite close to Athelstone. Almost all houses there "contain" Italian families! :-D

(but actually wherever you go there's at least and Italian name for a cafè!)

FWIW, when I arrived back in the 80's, I sent out 49 (odd figure) copies of my CV to all engineering companies I could find in the papers and yellow pages. I receive one phone call the following day and was in work the following week. As for the other 48 companies, no they didn't answer either, their loss.

Take the initiative and sell yourselves(in the nicest way), fortune will smile on you eventually.

good on you Doug ;)

FWIW, when I arrived back in the 80's, I sent out 49 (odd figure) copies of my CV to all engineering companies I could find in the papers and yellow pages. I receive one phone call the following day and was in work the following week. As for the other 48 companies, no they didn't answer either, their loss.

Take the initiative and sell yourselves(in the nicest way), fortune will smile on you eventually.