Introduction and question about Henley Beach

Guest M1cha3la

Guest M1cha3la

Hey everyone,

This post has a duel purpose. Firstly hello :wubclub: I am a regular on PIO, but a newbie here. DH and I got our visa grant the beginning of May and are hoping to move to Oz mid 2015. We are focusing on Perth and Adelaide as where we would like to settle but it will come down to work ect ect :rolleyes:

Then, we have a reccie/validation trip booked for September with a week in each, so I was hoping you could maybe advise me on some good places to stay in Adelaide? I have been focusing in on Henley Beach, everything online sounds good about it, but it would be fab to hear some first hand reviews/recommendations.

Thanks xx

Hi Michaela,

Welcome to the forum - Henley Beach would be as good a place as any to check out Adelaide. It has good access to the beach and the city and has a good vibe. Just make sure you also go visit what's around the city on your reccie. The Adelaide Hills, Barossa and McLaren Vale are all an hour(ish) or so away from Henley beach and are well worth a visit. Depending on your budget for when you do move out here you may also want to check out the southern suburbs (Christies Beach, Noarlunga etc) where property prices/rentals are cheaper than places like Henley and with the new rail link and expressway, the city is (or will be) an easy commute. Anyway - whatever you decide, enjoy your stay, Adelaide is an amazing city!

NWM

We lived just back from Henley Beach in Lockleys and the area is fantastic in that it's near the CBD and right there on the beach.....we rented there for a year and had good time. The linear park also snakes through that area as is a lovely place for a cycle. We didn't settle there though because house prices are very high and we decided that being semi-rural was actually what we wanted. Check out Semaphore as well - older part of the city also on the coast and really nice.

Guest M1cha3la

Thats brilliant thanks NWM and Zebedee. I must admit, I have not read a bad thing about it, but your posts make me feel much better about it. I literally can not wait to get over and see it all for myself :cute:

Personally I prefer Grange (quieter) or Glenelg (bigger and more to it) to Henley Beach, but that is just my preference. It is a nice suburb and as a place to stay for a reccie it is a good location. If you are keen to live near the beach then it's worth checking out all the beach side areas from Semaphore right down to Moana - some very different places with very different price ranges.

Guest mikeplanb

We arrived four weeks ago, living temporarily in Grange, but focusing on Henley Beach. We've seen about 10 properties so far and we're hoping to nail one of them this weekend. Henley is pricey by Adelaide standards, but for good reasons. It's got a great vibe, right by the sea and pretty happening by Adelaide standards. Semaphore feels a wee bit rougher but it's got lovely older property. Grange is nice but too quiet for us. When you first arrive especially, we wanted to be close to lots of nightlife etc. Grange only has the Jetty cafe which closes early and the Henley Beach Hotel which is ok, but doesn't quite cut it if you're looking for a night out. Glenelg is the closest we have to Bondi...I guess! It's a great place, but Henley has got just about the right balance, in our opinion.

Guest Guest12727

For a reccie and for an initial base, Henley is a great location. You may also consider North Adelaide, there may be more accommodation choice for short term.