Nursing jobs in perth but desperate to move to adelaide!

Guest Suzie1

Guest Suzie1

Hi all, I am a registered nurse (8years) and have completed my skills assessment , we have just submitted our EOI for the 189 visa, we are a family 4.

Although having never been to anywhere in Australia, South Australia appeals to me more than any other states as the one that best fits our family the most. I just seem to have more of a pull to here and its where we really want to move to.

We have friends in Adelaide whom we keep in regular contact with which will also help on arrival.

I have been looking into nursing jobs a lot in and around Adelaide and it's not been looking too great! There is jobs but not many and being the main (only earner to start off) I would much rather prefer a permanent full time post or be pretty confident that I would get full time hours by working causal.

Perth on the other hand seems to have many more jobs and I've had a lot of interest from various hospitals and it's very possible I may even be able to secure a job before arriving.

I am fully aware that there is no point in moving somewhere were I won't get any work but I feel It may be harder to settle if we go to perth only for the work as I really don't have a 'pull' towards it.

Not sure on the point of this thread, possibly just looking for opinions, go with the guaranteed work or risk going to Adelaide, be open minded not fussy with areas and cross everything that I am able to secure work?

I am experienced in acute medical nursing and respiratory but will be open to all areas.

Thankyou.

Hi Suzie. I'm a nurse also Adelaide bound and seem to be at the same stage as you. Just put in EOI and we are a family of 4 also. I know what you are saying re job availability but they are building a big new hospital in Adelaide and with your experience as a medical nurse I wouldn't have thought you would struggle too much for work. Feel free to PM me. :)

It's certainly a difficult situation at the moment. The recent budget impacted health enormously (public sector) but I believe they are opposing this. Remember too it's the end of the financial year too so managers are probably quite financially tied until July. There is also a large private sector too. I don't know of any experienced British nurses who have been without jobs or out of work for very long. Get a good Christmas out there, follow up with phone calls too and good luck. What area do you work in. I'll keep my eyes open. I work in the public sector, my hubby who is also an RN works in private ICU

Guest Suzie1

Thankyou for the replies. Kelbert, I am starting Ahpra now I have asked ANMAC to forward my documents and I'm gathering all other info that is needed. How are you getting on? Which area of nursing do you work in?

Hi Andy/Lindsey, it's encouraging to know that you do not know of any British nurses who struggled or are struggling to find work, I guess it's a bit like here, scotland has very little nursing jobs and the majority of students qualifying are having a really hard time trying to secure work, I know of one student who qualified in September who still has no work and not through lack of applying, so many applicants to very few posts, however experienced nursing are able to find bank/casual work with no issues, the nurse bank will only take on nurses with 6 months experience now which is obviously difficult for the newly qualified but for an experienced nurse despite lack of posts there is plenty of casual work available if you are not fussy with regards to areas and hours worked.

I have 2 years acute medical/A&E experience and 6 years respiratory where I currently am, I love it and certainly plan on staying within respiratory in the future however I'm fully open to starting work in all areas at first and going from there.

Thanks again or the replies.

Hi

i arrived this February. I was really concerned about finding a job. I left my band 6 job in the community in the UK having been there for 10 years. You don't do it easily, even freezing my pension was a big concern. With the help of a friend on here I spent days writing my cv and covering letter. I applied for one job a couple of weeks before I left but got a rejection email straight away. I was terrified and one of my biggest concerns was interviews as I am hopeless at them. I left my job on the Thursday and we flew on the Sunday and I was still being paid for a month as I had saved my annual leave. We sorted out our long term rental and I then applied for a job that sounded perfect. It is in the community private sector. The interview went well and I was offered the job. I started 3 weeks after we arrived. Yes it is casual but a lot are. I have now been there 2 months. I love it. I work full time, for more money and no weekends. I have now been told they are offering me a permanent contract. It's the best move I have ever made. I don't think I could go back to my old stressful job within the NHS. Oh and we came as 3 adults, as my daughter is 23 and last week was the first week since we have been here when all 3 of us got paid!!!

Good luck and can I add we love Adelaide.

Guest Suzie1
Hi

i arrived this February. I was really concerned about finding a job. I left my band 6 job in the community in the UK having been there for 10 years. You don't do it easily, even freezing my pension was a big concern. With the help of a friend on here I spent days writing my cv and covering letter. I applied for one job a couple of weeks before I left but got a rejection email straight away. I was terrified and one of my biggest concerns was interviews as I am hopeless at them. I left my job on the Thursday and we flew on the Sunday and I was still being paid for a month as I had saved my annual leave. We sorted out our long term rental and I then applied for a job that sounded perfect. It is in the community private sector. The interview went well and I was offered the job. I started 3 weeks after we arrived. Yes it is casual but a lot are. I have now been there 2 months. I love it. I work full time, for more money and no weekends. I have now been told they are offering me a permanent contract. It's the best move I have ever made. I don't think I could go back to my old stressful job within the NHS. Oh and we came as 3 adults, as my daughter is 23 and last week was the first week since we have been here when all 3 of us got paid!!!

Good luck and can I add we love Adelaide.

What a great start you have had! Do you mind me asking if it's RDNS you got your post through? I've seen them mentioned quite a lot.

congratulations on such a lovely start to your new life and even better that your loving Adelaide :)