8 days left, what to cram in the suitcase???????

Fotherespie

Hello everyone,

So its almost time for me, the hubby and little one to start our new life in Adelaide. I'm pretty frantic still with my to do list. But I'm wondering.. with hindsight what do I you wish you'd packed? I'm really wondering about warm clothing, footware? But also those little things that make a difference?? Any suggestions?

Guest Guest12727

Gumtree is the best bet for cheap / free items gumtree.com.au. Or garage sales in your area, where people sell stuff from their garage/carport. These are advertised on the roadside or in the paper.they no longer need A good way to pick up some toys for a bargain.

Guest Guest12727

I suggest clothes for layering and something waterproof. Good closed shoes / boots as winter is coming and it can be wet. I wouldn't waste suitcase space with electric blankets (sorry Tyke). I have not used one (and didn't in UK). If you really need something a hot water bottle will do and you can buy for a few dollars. It really depends on the heating in the house you will be in initially. My OH still prefers Marmite to vegemite, so that is one thing he would always bring. My view is that we are in Australia and we can get anything here we need and can adapt. Just make sure you have plenty to keep little one occupied while you are settling in and waiting for your gear to arrive, enough warm clothes for you all and anything that you use all the time for the little one and your personal items which will make life easy for you all.

Enjoy your journey.

Oh just a little add on.. Does free cycle or something similar operate in Adelaide?

Yes, and here is a link:

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/freecycle_adelaide/description

And yes, Claire, you are right (had to happen sooner or later lol! :wubclub: ) Freecycle gives people a chance to replace things they no longer want for things they possibly don't need! All for free! A bit like hard waste, but without the need to rummage through stuff left on the nature strip lol!

I wouldn't bring electric blankets simply because the plug won't fit, but I LOVE my blanket!! So much so, I even have one of those small electric blankets made for rugging up in the lounge :wink:. I obviously shop at way cheaper stores than Tyke 'cos all our electric blankets were cheap - $20 for the single, to maybe $40 for the kingsize?

What I would (and did) bring would be those little things that make it feel like home. I don't know how old your littlie is, but I brought the kids' 'special' cups and plates, some photos, games etc.

LC

Don't forget your travel plugs. I thought I was super organised and bought loads from the pound shop and packed them in my movecube. When we arrived I had forgotten we would need them for things like phone chargers etc. Spent a day trawling the shops for them and they cost a fortune here!!