• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Moving Jan 15

958 times
      I came out to Australia on my own back in the 90's on a working holiday visa and was here for just over a year and had a great time. I didn't find being on my own a problem and enjoyed the experience. In fact, I enjoyed my time here so much I emigrated with my OH 10 years later to Adelaide.

We are a similar age to yourself with no children. When we arrived after an initial 2 week stay at temporary accommodation, we rented in Goodwood. We didn't really know any of the suburbs, just some to avoid! We went to look at an apartment in the city and the real estate agent said to us "I have the perfect place for you" and told us to meet her there the next day and showed us the unit in Goodwood (which was furnished as well, which we were looking for as we sold up our property and contents before we came and just brought out our suitcases mainly full of clothes!). We didn't have any idea about the suburb, but it was close to the city and OH could catch the tram into the city where he had secured a job and I could take the car to my job so we didn't need to buy a second car, it was close to the shops, we only had to sign a 6 month lease (often they are 12 months) and we got a good 'feel' for the area so we rented it!

When we were looking to buy a house, we looked at many areas, but ended up buying a house around the same area. If you look around the Unley area and the surrounding suburbs there are some good areas. We find it a safe, friendly area. There are plenty of coffee shops and restaurants around, we can drive into the city within 10-15 minutes, have access to buses, trains and the tram and drive to a variety of beaches within 15-20 minutes, we are close to the airport and when we go away we just catch a taxi to the airport and it only costs around $20. I used to work in the South and I didn't have an issue driving South as I was going the opposite way to the traffic. In fact, I have worked all over Adelaide and I find it is a pretty useful starting point to go in any direction for work and I usually find I am going in the opposite direction to the heavy traffic.

Of course what is suitable for one person, might not be right for another, it is all down to personal preference.
      Last edited by Jessica Berry; 11-07-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Retired Member
      Highbury, SA
      441 times
      Quote Originally Posted by tim1974 View Post
      Hi All
      Just a quick intro post. My nameís Tim and Iím planning on moving out next Jan. Iím a 39 year old GP very disillusioned with work here in the NHS and when the opportunity arose to work in Oz I jumped at it. I have a job lined up in Mclaren Vale starting early next year. I came out for 6 days last month to do a quick reccie for places to live and really liked Henley Beach and Brighton. I will be coming out on my own which is a bit daunting but also exciting at the same time. I did look around Aldinga and up the coast from there but I feel it may be a bit quiet. I think it will be much better for me to be in a vibrant community rather than semi rural or rural. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to live near the beach but itís not essential. I think I will be better placed where I can get out and about and hopefully meet people.

Have any other people moved out alone and found it easy to make friends and integrate? Families and couples for that matter? Are there groups like running groups etc than I can join again to meet people?

I am expecting to go through a roller coaster of emotions when I move I just hope I am making the right decision.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Hi Tim,
      I saw this about running and remembered you asking about running groups in Adelaide. It may be of interest to you.

3 times
      Sorry for the delay, haven’t managed to log on for a while but thank you for the very useful information :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12