Willunga and surrounding areas...

Kooky

Any views on willunga, port willunga or other nearby areas? My husband has already gone over looking for areas for us to live and likes willunga. Anyone able to tell me anything (good or bad) about it and about living there? We are a family of 4 (2 kids ages 4&6). Don't like areas with masses of houses close together. Like country, quiet etc. it's really wierd being here and not being able to look myself!

Guest Guest75

Willunga is lovely- I'd live there if circumstances were different.

It has a lovely village/community feel.

Schools are good from what I hear.

Plus three pubs!!

One or two members on here live there and one I know is buying a house there so I know they are really happy.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

It's a horrible place! :wink:

We landed in Willunga when we arrived and fell in love with the place. Two and a half years on and we wouldn't live anywhere else and have just bought our own house here. The community here is awesome and we feel it is a great, safe place to bring up the kids. It's only small but there is so much goes on here it's amazing. There is the farmers market every Saturday, the Quarry market once a month. We have the Almond Blossom festival in July, the Tour Down Under... and lots more going on throughout the year. Good schools and kindy, and a lovely library and there are lots of sports and activities for the children too and lots of nice coffee, wine and food for us adults (and within walking distance too!)

Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them :smile:

Willunga is a great place. I wish that I could retire there! Both Willunga and Mclaren vale are two areas that I would really consider living in.

We have friends in Port Willunga and they have been there for 8 years and are happy.

The only negative you may hear is distance from the city but if you are like us and your work doesn't mean a commute into the city...go for it!

We are just up the road in McLaren Vale.....area is fantastic, lovely countryside, great beaches and not that far out of the city - the area is protected from urban sprawl too. I commute to the city 3 days a week, work from home 2 days because the areas has NBN broadband. I'd have been very tempted with Willunga but with work in the city, just being that bit closer to Seaford train station helps.

I honestly don't think you can find a better area in and around Adelaide that has both easy access to the beach and a rural setting, and still be within an hour of the CBD.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate this. sounds up our street especially with us being near to retirement at 40 Adelaide now :biggrin:

Am also in my 40's....but Willunga is not just for us "Oldies'! It's a great place to bring up kids. I don't live there but I want to!

On this forumn you will get many opinions from people who stay all over Adelaide. Sometimes they are an informed opinion from real people who live in the areas that you ask about and at other times they are an opinion from people in distant suburbs who type to get a response.

When you are half a world away it's sometimes difficult to sort out what's fact and what's not. I wouldn't know whether Colonnades is the worst shopping centre for low class people in Adelaide as we have some very mixed socio economic suburbs throughout the city. Maybe just when I shop there in my trackies and thongs!:biglaugh:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Tyke, Bon jovi, George and Mildred..

All older people or names of older 'celebrities'. Must be good for pensioners :-)

(I had a good holiday there, couldn't see any appeal for living, but had a great holiday.

Just cos Tyke's ancient doesn't mean you have to tar us all with the same brush!! I'm just a spring chicken :biggrin:

Guest Guest75
Just cos Tyke's ancient doesn't mean you have to tar us all with the same brush!! I'm just a spring chicken :biggrin:

Yeah,yeah,yeah.................. pay no attention to the "Kids"

With age comes wisdom.............

Just waiting to catch up.........:tongue::tongue:

On this forumn you will get many opinions from people who stay all over Adelaide. Sometimes they are an informed opinion from real people who live in the areas that you ask about and at other times they are an opinion from people in distant suburbs who type to get a response.

When you are half a world away it's sometimes difficult to sort out what's fact and what's not. I wouldn't know whether Colonnades is the worst shopping centre for low class people in Adelaide as we have some very mixed socio economic suburbs throughout the city. Maybe just when I shop there in my trackies and thongs!:biglaugh:

And there are some people who think there is nothing north of Hallett Cove and others who always recommend the suburb they live in regardless of what the person asking wants from an area or where they are going to be living. Very little on here is fact, most of it is opinion but some of us try and give advice based on what people want rather than what we think is best.

OP I don't know Willunga so can't comment on what it is like. It is quite far out, which would kill me, but is probably exactly the kind of thing you are after. The only thing to be wary of is where you and/or your OH will be working and if you can cope with the commute. If you will be working in the CBD have a look at zebedee's past posts on commuting from Mclaren Vale for a view from someone who does a similar commute already. Have a look at realestate.com.au at properties for sale and rent in the area to get a feel for what the housing is like. Take a walk around on google maps to try and get a feel for what the streets are like. For the schools have a look on myschool.com.edu for info on the local schools and check out the schools own websites.

Guest Guest12727
A

I wouldn't know whether Colonnades is the worst shopping centre for low class people in Adelaide as we have some very mixed socio economic suburbs throughout the city. Maybe just when I shop there in my trackies and thongs!:biglaugh:

I have worked in several shopping centres around Adelaide with my business. The only one I won't return to is Colonnades.

The Willunga region is lovely, and I am sure it would be a great place to live but do consider where work is likely to be as it isn't a suburb of Adelaide. It is a regional town.

You can get a rural feel in places much closer to the city like Coromandel Valley or One Tree Hill for a couple of examples. Many of the Hills towns also fit the bill.

Collanades is pure entertainment! There's a man dressed as superman & a screaming women but i always look at the positive & Jamie Oliver is setting up a kitchen there to address the obesity problems in the area & perhaps a soup kitchen for the down & outs !!

Guest Guest12727
Collanades is pure entertainment! There's a man dressed as superman & a screaming women but i always look at the positive & Jamie Oliver is setting up a kitchen there to address the obesity problems in the area & perhaps a soup kitchen for the down & outs !!

Rest my case

PS I have never come across so many rude shoppers in one place

Thanks everyone. So I will know to avoid collanades if we live there then ;-) sounds like it may be our type of place (not the shopping centre!) and it's ok being outside the CBD as we are teachers so don't need to work in the city. DH has had some interest from some of the schools nearby so hopefully he will manage to secure some work at one and then we will make a decision on living - for the time being we are renting in flagstaff hill so will just stay there until work is sorted.

Cant to wait to actually be there so I can decide if I agree with DH or not!

Thanks all x

Guest Watkinsfamily

We live in Aldinga Beach and love it. Wouldn't live anywhere else now been here almost a year. Have 2 small children and can't find any negatives for us. Can get the train to the CBD from Seaford easily and the drive is not that bad - off peak I can get to the airport in 45 minutes. I am also a teacher - good luck with deciding where to live if you are in the area feel free to drop me a line happy to meet up once you are settled. (In the year I have been here I have only been to the Colonades about 3 times you can get everything you need elsewhere locally or head to Marion)

@Tamara, how bloody condescending.

Willunga, to me and many others is a holiday place, due it's location. It's not really even an Adelaide suburb it so far out. but that's not taking anything away from it. It's a fact.

Maybe you should actually visit more suburbs and see there is life away from where you are, but maybe you love promoting the south so you can entice people to get into your rentals.

You see to have taken offence that I dared say anything negative near your homes for rent.

And what am if I am not a real person? I travel all around Adelaide, watching sport, making deliveries etc, I think I have a good idea of many areas.

Edited by adelaidenow

Guest jorose

Just for the record...not all shoppers at Collonades are down and outs, bogans etc etc. Last time I checked my credentials I found that I work full time, don't claim unwarranted benefits and believe it or not I actually have manners and etiquette. Regards.

Guest Guest75
Just for the record...not all shoppers at Collonades are down and outs, bogans etc etc. Last time I checked my credentials I found that I work full time, don't claim unwarranted benefits and believe it or not I actually have manners and etiquette. Regards.

I dare not even tell Mrs Tyke about this subject - she shops in "The Killing Fields" as we affectionately call it and yes there are a few ferals in there but it's not a major problem.

Quite often at the boat ramp there is a very scary looking bloke fishing off the pontoons. To look at him you would not like to be in the same room as him..........................but always as a boat is pulling in he grabs the rope, helps steady the boat while you get off and asked how the trip has been and stuff. You could not wish to meet a nicer or genuine bloke.

Sadly I hear he has terminal cancer and won't be around for much longer.:sad:

Just don't always judge the book by it's cover.:cute:

Edited by Guest75

Guest Guest12727

My dislike was purely based on the rudeness of so many of the shoppers, noticeable compared with other centres, nothing to do with appearance. Give me Elizabeth Shopping centre any day.