Is Adelaide a good place to be

Guest aroundoz

Guest aroundoz

Having Migrated from the UK seven years ago and living in New Zealand and Queensland and having travelled a lot of OZ we found ourselves giving Adelaide a go!!!

We feel this has been a mistake in that the social deprivation and associated problems in Adelaide are far greater than other parts of OZ, it is not as clean and pristine as other areas, has youth culture problem and the level of violent crime is outstanding even on UK terms....a nice looking city in a nice settting but has serious problems at its core.

We are going back to the real Australia.

I feel that people need a balnced view and not the rosy view often posted on here.

And before the attacks begin....you cant deny that 12-15 guys running down a restaurant strip in the city shooting at each other isnt serious and even in the UK is not a common occurence!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thelincolns

Hi aroundoz,

pls tell us more. Can you be more specific about your observations please? Which areas do you know having crime problems-and where did you notice social deprivation? Also, how long have you been in Adelaide/where are you based?

Cheers- we all want and need to know what the reality of things is.

Guest aroundoz

Police have played down any suggestion that gang-related violence is on the rise in South Australia, in light of a gun fight involving bikie gangs in the heart of Adelaide early yesterday.

Assistant Commissioner Tony Harrison says the public should not be too worried about the potential for reprisal attacks.

Three men were taken into custody after the shoot-out in Gouger Street, but later released.

Police say the violence in the city restaurant strip involved up to a dozen people and 15 shots were fired from semi-automatic weapons.

The Assistant Commissioner has supported the need for the SA Government's anti-bikie bill which is currently before the parliament.

He says police need firm backing to deal with outlaw bikies.

"I think it's very, very typical of their total disregard for the law in general and I think it's very, very typical of their involvement in drugs, firearms and this gang-type mentality, so the proposed bill that's currently before the Upper House I believe will go a long way to providing the tools that police need in relation to breaking up the very strong associations that exist between gang members," he said.

THIS IS TAKEN FROM THE ADELAIDE ADVERTISER.....WE HAVE LIVED IN OTHER PARTS OF OZ AND VISITED A LOT OF PLACES AND WE HAVE TO SAY ADELAIDE IS UNIQUE IN ITS SOCIAL DEPRIVATION AND CRIME LEVELS>>>WE LIVE IN GLENELG SOUTH>>>ONE OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE SUBURBS OF ADELAIDE AND CANT WAIT TO GET OUT AND BACK TO THE REAL OZ

I think every area has a level of crime and trouble. Ive seen headlines on on line news papers from around oz and headlines jump out at you. I dont expect it to be crime free and am under no illusions it is.

Doubt There is no place in the world that is totally crime free.

Not sure of exact figures but in London this year how many stabbing and shooting deaths?? About 15-20!

Dont have any illusions that Adelaide is paradise its not. Just be realistic

Guest aroundoz

London has a population of 7 million and you can certainly feel safer there than in Adelaide.

Australia has a lot more to offer that Adelaide

We have no illusions that crime is everywhere...!! Adelaide is no different...since we have been here all we have seen on the news is stories of guns, crimes, and rising petrol prices!!

The stories are the same everywhere! We have walked round Adelaide after midnight and found it calm enough..hardly saw a soul!

I already feel safer here.... to the extent that underpasses are well lit where we are, we have seen no groups of kids at all and there is just a safer feeling IMO!!

Dan and Steph

Guest aroundoz

Scooterdan, im pleased for you but the statistics dont reflect that...Adelaide has higher crime rates than most parts of the UK its murder rate is higher than London's per capita....people need a balanced view.

when we was on reccie last august, covered a fair area and came across no problems, i know we was not walking the streets at 2 in the morning around night clubs chucking out but we went through both nice and bad looking areas. We walked round the city in the evening and perhaps we was lucky we never saw any sign of trouble.

May i ask then aroundoz wher in oz are you then?

I have seen massive social deprivation in Sydney, melbourne and Darwin. Look at what happened in Sydney with the racial tensions leading to gang rapes and violence. Melbourne has its massive crumbling state housing blocks that lok like those in Russia etc and a massive "underbelly" of gangs and crime. In Darwin there is a massive culture fuelled by heavy drinking and the aborigines live in what look like a group of toilet shacks on wasteland. Every capital city has its violence, its bikies, its varied racial tensions and sadly to say poorer areas of poorly educated people.

I have lived in Adelaide for 25 yrs in total and the number of massive big headlining crimes is about 5, 2 or 3 child abductions, the odd murder, usually domestically fuelled and the bikies. Adelaide is no small country town, nor a middle class development where every one has a nice job and can afford a nice house and everyone has the same values. Australia is so mixed I think what you are calling the "real Australia" is what you are looking for and what you like and it is not here. However lots of people love to call Adelaide home and are proud of SA and many migrants come here, like it and prosper. It wont suit everyone for sure, but for some it is the only place on offer and they need to keep positive about that. Adelaide is not the crime capital, nor the economically deprived backward place it sometimes gets labelled with. It is actually possible to live in Adelaide and not really see much of this crime and social deprivation if you don't, live, frequent or work in these areas., or it spills over into your nice suburb, schools , shopping centre etc. Just as it is possible to live in QLD NSW or even London and say what social deprivation?, what crime, there is none in this area, we are all nice peole here......

I'm sorry you have not enjoyed your Adelaide experience, but there you go its not for everyone.

Guest aroundoz

FAO Ian B we currently live in Glenelg South and is a move we wish we had not made after experiencing other parts of australia.

I will leave it all at that as we will be moving on

FAO Ian B we currently live in Glenelg South and is a move we wish we had not made after experiencing other parts of australia.

I will leave it all at that as we will be moving on

Well good luck wherever you end up and hope you find what it is your looking for.

All places you go on holiday tend to look good its another thing to actually live there

Guest Guest75
London has a population of 7 million and you can certainly feel safer there than in Adelaide.

Australia has a lot more to offer that Adelaide

I've lived in Adelaide for nearly 8 years now.

I feel MUCH safer here than I did in the UK.

Granted we live in the very outer suburbs.

You are living in a densely populated area that will have more crime.

I lived in Leeds previously which had a crime scene all of it's own I can tell you.

I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon to defend Adelaide BTW.

Guest hel&sam

so where would you consider to be the best bits of australia to live, in your opinion, and why?

never been yet so all opinions gratefully received.

:v_SPIN:

Guest thelincolns

Thank you aroundoz-pls don't be too put off by negative comments, or take them personally. IMO some people develop a sense of belonging to SA (even the ones not yet there :unsure:) that seems to put them on a defensive stance... but other people will want to know about the not so nice aspects, even if, agreed, it is not pleasant to talk about them.

I understand that for everyone migrating to Oz there is an element of "dream" about the move, and many don't want the pragmatic ones to burst their bubble, but pls let everyone have a fair go.

Rachel is right, there is an element of needing to keep positive about it, but that should not be to the detriment of factual information.

After all forums should have fact-finding value, shouldn't they?

I would like to know why you moved to Adelaide in the first place- what are you looking for? And what is the "real Australia" for you?

Maybe you felt dissatisfied about places you now praise?

Guest aroundoz

Well we were not dissatisfied in other parts of OZ more so moved to Adelaide as we wished to try a few different places to live prior to making a longer term decision....i agree there are positives to Adelaide.. but the negatives that are here and yes in other states are far more pronounced...social depriavtion...crime....gang and youth culture. When people talk about a boom for individuals that only means inflated house prices...South Australia as a state has only been recently taken out of bankruptcy as a state...economically it is a poor relation in comparison to ther areas and i think that is reflected in a struggling infrastructure. As much their is migration into Adelaide and South Australia from overseas there is massive interstate migration out of the state...figures in the thousands leave the state every year for better opportunities and i have been told for a better quality of life from people who were raised here.

People move for a reason normally for a better life for their families....as all on here are looking for...thats why South Australians move out and continue to do so in large numbers.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Just my two pence worth. I agree there is definatly crime here and I think probably as much as in a similar size area/population of Uk.

There have been 2 murders alone this week in the brighton area! One was a bashing at a house party, which I heard about on the news and the other I heard about today (not on the news) about a young lad who was a victim of road rage, He had his dad in the car with him who was blind.

There is also a young boy that has gone missing in the outback (father more than likly involved...........but the point I am making here is that crime is not so highly reported on. It was a week after that boy went missing I first heard of it on the news, the road rage one I have not even heard on the news. I listen to the radio all day so you would have thought I would have heard it once. They seem to tell a story on the news just the once after that it is sport sport sport ( at least we wont be hearing the Roos injuries this year!)

sarah

Guest donny

Bikie gangs, Shootings, Drugs, Hoons driving around all night in their cars...... I've had a great idea why not film a new Mad Max film in Adelaide.

Guest daveyboy

Blimey, just about to sign the form of my visa agent to start the process of emigrating to Adelaide on a 475 visa but it sounds like we could be moving to a ghetto full of drug dealers, gangs and rednecks. Has anyone got anything positive to say about the place or would it be easier to do a course in firearms in England or wait till we get to Mossside Oz style??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest daveyboy

hi aroundoz

could you explain what you mean by social deprivation, is it that there is no one to mix with or there are not enough concerts etc... or is it that the people are'nt very nice?

Dave and family

Guest kevscotoz
I've lived in Adelaide for nearly 8 years now.

I feel MUCH safer here than I did in the UK.

Granted we live in the very outer suburbs.

You are living in a densely populated area that will have more crime.

I lived in Leeds previously which had a crime scene all of it's own I can tell you.

I'm not just jumping on the bandwagon to defend Adelaide BTW.

Which bit of leeds r u from? I lived in crossgates, farnley & headingly & used to go out drinking every week in town & dont remember loads of trouble or crime (or am I just looking back throu rose tinted glasses)

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Blimey, just about to sign the form of my visa agent to start the process of emigrating to Adelaide on a 475 visa but it sounds like we could be moving to a ghetto full of drug dealers, gangs and rednecks. Has anyone got anything positive to say about the place or would it be easier to do a course in firearms in England or wait till we get to Mossside Oz style??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You just need to remember that yoy are moving to another country that has human beings living there who are free to make choices.........unfortunatly some of them make the wrong choice and choose a criminals life. That would be the down side of living in free to choose country. If we want crime free, then I guess we would have to live choice free too!

sarah

Guest jill wright

You come out with some real pearls of wisdom Sarah I can see where you get your name from and I mean that in a nice way believe you me your posts make good reading and good sense

Jill