Moving in February

Alexsnell10

Hi there

me and my partner are heading over there in February I have a job to start when we arrive but my girlfriend doesn't at the moment. she is a Lettings Negotiator with an estate agents over here with 3 years experience and would be looking to continue that in Adelaide.... Is there a good chance of her landing a job fairly easily?

We are also looking at renting a 2 bed furnished apartment or house closer to the beach than the CBD... Any preferred areas we should be looking at?

any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks Steve!

Guest Guest75

Just saying hello and welcome to the forum!!

Good news that one of you has a job to start with!!!

Work can be a bit hard to find in some area and skill areas at the moment though.

Well nice beach suburbs for people without kids I always think Glenelg is a good bet. Lots of units and stuff around there. Know of one currently looking for a new tennant (think it may have found one now) and its 2 mins walk to the beach, just one street away. And Jetty Road is about a 5 minute walk. Small, 2 beds, first floor but its great for a couple starting out. I'd go for as close to Jetty road and all that as possible rather than a unit further out in the north or south say. Otherwise its like living in any other suburb round there tbh.

Also I suppose Brighton, Henley beach and the like. I'm not so taken with Brighton as like Jetty road and Mosely Sq in Glenelg and all the cafes and so on round the area. But its still nice. Will depend on what you want.

Also I loved when my hubby had a place in the CBD. Was small, had a little back yard but was 2 streets away from the Central market and everything else from there on out was an easy walk. Loved it there. Only a few minutes from the tram also so about 30 mins to Glenelg if we wanted the beach.

Guest JAKJAK

I don't think she will have too much trouble. It really depends what suburb of Adelaide you settle in and how much of a journey she wants to and from work. Getting around in the early morning traffic can take time. You could try contacting a few estate agents in the meantime. Google... L J hooker, Smallacombe, Raine & Horne, Brock, Elders to name a few. This is useful to find real estate (and the agent) www.realestate.com.au Good luck. :smile:

I can't comment on the job front sorry but other than Glenelg, I'd say West Beach up to Semaphore and even as far north as Port Adelaide (although there's not much beach, but imo it's a pretty funky place). Glenelg does have the tram into the City, but some of the more northern west beach suburbs have train links in.

Hi I asked the girl there this morning - she says the property management module is only about three days in a much longer Real Estate course (I think she said 7 weeks?), so probably your experience would count in your favour and you'd be able to get a job without doing the course first. Some agents might then support you if you wanted to do the course anyway. She wasn't sure about what differences, if any, there were between the British and Australian system though. I hope that helps, and good luck :-)

Thanks a lot Diane that's very good to know she's going to email different agents this weekend and see what replies we have!!

Don't mind you asking at all.... A friend of mine moved out there 4 years ago and he's now in a good position at Austral trees and he's told me there's a job waiting for me! But yes February is a while away so I'll be in constant contact with him!

I have been a gardener and landscaper for 10 years

Austral Trees seem to have their head office at Para Hills (although obviously you'd be going wherever the trees were - but presumably have to drop into the office regularly!) so have a look at the areas around Semaphore and West Beach as opposed to any further south for somewhere to live. Would not be fun commuting from the far south to Para Hills - ever, let alone on a regular basis!!

You mention in another post that you are coming over on a working holiday visa. I think the ruling is that you can only work for one employer for 6 months, so is your intention to work for Austral Trees for 6 months then continue your travels around Australia? If so, you may be better looking at perhaps a shared house for the 6 month period as a lot of leases require you to sign up for 12 months.