10 most important things to stock up on and pack in your container?

GLDUBYA

Hi All,

We have just had our visa approved and coming across in Nov for a visit/recce (for a month) and then look at relocation next year...I have no doubt my question has already been asked but I suppose it is a good one to do again..

I have read numerous threads about cost of particular items in Adelaide and stuff unable to obtain or wont be allowed by customs... Just some of the things i know/hope will be stashed!!

1. Marmite!!! tried Vegomite... just not the same

2. Decent tea bags

3. Twiglets.. do they have these in Aus?

any further suggestions? got a 20' container to fill :confused:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Claire-n-tel

We've been out of uk for 8 years and I have to say I still don't do vegemite, if we have uk visitors the b&b 'payment' is a jar of marmite!....I love it when I have it but don't crave it any more.

we visited the uk for 6 weeks 18 months ago and I have to say there were things I missed from here!

Having said that if you want to bring a few hundred bags of revels I will happily cook you dinner!:biggrin:

c&t

They sell Marmite in most Coles supermarkets I go in. Have not had a problem buying it here at all.

Tea bags - I find there is plenty of choice. Just a case of finding a brand you like IMHO.

Twiglets - don't like them so never looked for them here.

Tbh in the long term you adapt and there are lots of new things to try and often a good alternative is found. Plus there is always those online Brit food shops if you get really desperate. Not used them yet ;)

My local coles sells marmite, twiglets, pg tips, bisto, robinsons orange squash. A fair amount really.

A guy I work with is going to the uk in a couple of weeks and I can't actually think of anything I want him to bring back that I can't get here (except bacon, but that's not allowed lol).

Guest Claire-n-tel
My local coles sells marmite, twiglets, pg tips, bisto, robinsons orange squash. A fair amount really.

A guy I work with is going to the uk in a couple of weeks and I can't actually think of anything I want him to bring back that I can't get here (except bacon, but that's not allowed lol).

Blossom our coles sells packs of "English style" bacon that is pretty good, it actually looks like raw bacon in the packet!

Get here, adjust, change. You won't need any supplies! Sure things taste a bit different. Give it a while and you forget what UK stuff is like. My folks are headed back for a visit tomorrow - we have no requests for any food stuffs on their return. Only thing I've asked for is No7 day cream from Boots - and that's because I know I get on with it. But if they weren't going back and I ran out, I'd have to find an equivalent here!

Guest Guest75

I'd be looking at more practical stuff like electric blankets , if you good linen ( called Manchester here) , if you have good quilts ( Doona's) bring them!!!

Australia isn't that backward. We do have food and most of it is rather good. As already mentioned, move here and embrace whats new rather than looking at what you left behind and can't get here. Rant over. I do miss Ready Brek though!

BACON - people have mentioned that they miss UK bacon. Then come to the Barossa Farmers Market on Saturday mornings and get Sasha Beer's Black Pig Bacon. Expensive but you'll soon forget the cost when you eat it.

I don't eat any kind of 'mite' but my husband does and he prefers Aussiemite (not the Dick Smiths stuff) to Vegemite and it's made in Strathalbyn.

Cream Crackers, bourbons and custard creams are probably the food items I miss most (although I did post recently about M&S walnut whips) and the children miss the choice of crisps (quavers, hula hoops etc) but we're not starving on an Australian diet! and the fresh fruit and veg imo is far better especially if you stick to seasonal.

Like someone else said fill your container with useful items - underwear, shoes, socks, swimmers, bedding that fits your bed, a new hoover - things like that and of course as much furniture as you can fit; chuck it at this end if it really won't fit in your new home but we definitely sold/gave away far too much that we could have used here (thinking especially of our long heavy winter curtains just at the moment).

Non food stuff as has been said.

Personally if bringing your own beds then bring extra decent bedding and linen to fit (beds here are different sizes). Decent duck down duvets if you have them are also good. I have the ones that are in 2 parts and you clip together to increase the warmth and heaviness. Use the thin one when its warmer and the thick one in colder weather. Have not yet needed to use them both at the same time but have thought about it.

Also towels, decent quality ones. In all sizes.

Curtains it can depend. I found many Aus houses have much bigger wider windows than we do in the UK, so none of my curtains from the UK would fit many houses here. Either not wide enough to go all the way over or not enough pairs or not long enough if its a tall ceiling house as the windows are much longer. The house we bought has lovely curtains already fitted so we've not had to buy any. However, the set I did bring will only fit the guest room as way to small for our bedroom window.

I think decent clothes, shoes and so on are worth stocking up on. I find decent kids trainers and shoes very pricey here and am glad I stocked up in the next few sizes up for my son before we came over. Been worthwhile shipping those for sure. Same with clothes. Winter and summer stuff.

I'm not so sure about large electrical goods if buying new before leaving. I'd say for the most part they work out price wise to buy new here when you arrive and also then you'll get the warrenty with them. Also things like fridge freezers tend to be bigger and wider than the UK ones. If you like Dyson vaccum cleaners they are expensive here. Luckily for me I don't and I found a fab Miele vaccum cleaner on sale half price for $200 a few weeks ago :cute: Having used Miele in the UK for years it is my preferred brand so all good.

If you already have decent large electrical items, ship them if you have room. Never write off shipping a tumble dryer if you have one. Its the one thing the past month or so I wish I had in my laundry. Of course, 9 months of the year it won't see any use but for these winter months it would come in handy. I've found line drying not great as without wind it just stays wet and does not really dry off enough. And drying indoors is far from ideal. Windy days its fab drying weather though, but they rarely happen the days I need to do laundry :nah:

I wish I had shipped more of my small kitchen appliances but am slowly replacing them. Most of that stuff in the UK before we left was getting old or well worn so would have been replaced over the next year or two. So doing that here.

Everyone is going to have different lists and what works for one won't for another. You'll manage I am sure :) If you have a sole use 20ft container it'll fit the contents of an average 3 bed house so you should be fine. Start sifting through and weeding out the things you are not taking and also sorting out to throw away stuff that is just sat unsused and all the clutter. Its amazing how much you can actually ditch and streamline down.

Thanks for some great suggestions...I suppose my OP was a tad tongue in cheek wrt to marmite and twiglets and I am sure we would survive...(as I know you can get maltesers in Aus!!)

We have been numerous times to various places in Australia over the years: Sydney, Perth, Taz, but never quite managed Adelaide...(the only place kind enough to sponsor us)

The message we have heard from natives and non natives alike, that its a great place for families...so we are very much looking forward to giving it a bash..

Will take heed to the advice for non food items.. trusty dyson.. decent quilts.. towels etc

Cheers

Guest Claire-n-tel
Thanks for some great suggestions...I suppose my OP was a tad tongue in cheek wrt to marmite and twiglets and I am sure we would survive...(as I know you can get maltesers in Aus!!)

We have been numerous times to various places in Australia over the years: Sydney, Perth, Taz, but never quite managed Adelaide...(the only place kind enough to sponsor us)

The message we have heard from natives and non natives alike, that its a great place for families...so we are very much looking forward to giving it a bash..

Will take heed to the advice for non food items.. trusty dyson.. decent quilts.. towels etc

Cheers

Um.....and my Revels right?!:biggrin:

Weirdly, to me, Maltesers are nothing like they are in the UK. The centre is different. I don't eat them here as not keen. My waistline has plenty of other things to keep it busy though ;)

I think it's a lovely place to live in many respects. For us and the little one it's proved a good move :) Not without a few downsides but overall for us, good.

KathCats.... you know you could not live without those 3 flying ducks on the wall!....LOL

Snifter.. agree wrt to matesers... I think they make them different for the warmer climates - but after a long time in (scientific research) tasting in warmer climes...Thailand . dubai.. I still manage to hoover a family bag no bother!!!

Claire - Revels are OK - but thos toffee ones annoying... and also we have to think of the weight (into the container)... maltesers much lighter!! :smile:

@Claire\-n\-tel have you tried Fruchocs? I don't like revels or Fruchocs but I am told they are quite similar, but less flavours in the Fruchocs.

@flossybeth, you can buy custard creams here. Arnotts do them. They taste like the UK ones to me and no complaints from the nine year old. Haven't found anything like bourbons though.

Guest Claire-n-tel

NOOOOOOO NicF!.......fruchocs are nothing like revels! I hate fruchocs.....I think those things have real fruit in......I'm talking about that real fake stuff you get in proppa sweets!

NOOOOOOO NicF!.......fruchocs are nothing like revels! I hate fruchocs.....I think those things have real fruit in......I'm talking about that real fake stuff you get in proppa sweets!

Agreed. Revels good. Fruchocs not good. But the toffee revels are the best! It's the annoying orange ones that I hate!

Yes, in terms of household items, bring your appliances. We cleaned our vaccum (dyson) and got it through customs. I wouldn't buy one in UK and ship it though - you have to change the plugs anyway and you won't get your warranty out of it. I am glad I bought my tumble dryer.

Again, I wouldn't buy clothes etc. You never know what will be in fashion or fit in a few years - particularly with kids. If you really like a few brands, they can be shipped over for a reasonable price. Much better to do that than waste money on items that won't get used. Ditto curtains and household furnishings. I would brings quilts, bedding etc as they are expensive here - but you have to make sure you have the same size beds!

If you have pets, perhaps stock up on flea treatment - a friend of mine still orders hers from the UK!