Should we relocate from Melbourne?

Guest Tea4two

Guest Tea4two

Hi thereMy situation is a bit complicated so bear with me but we would appreciate some advice from those who live in Adelaide currently. We moved to Melbourne 2.5 years ago and recently had our daughter (6mo). We are currently in the UK on a visit making the most of my maternity leave. My hubby doesn't particularly enjoy his job in Melbourne and was hoping for a change of career (currently a Plumber). Whilst in the UK he's been offered two jobs - one offshore working out of Aberdeen for £60K and one in Adelaide working for an oil company for $73K (while he trains). With both options I wouldn't be working. We love being back in the UK with family and friends and seeing our baby girl with them is priceless. We could be very comfortable here on that wage. We don't know much about Adelaide but know things would be tight on 73K and with no family or friends and at home all day with a baby, would I go mad? I just don't know. We don't particularly love Melbourne, it's too big for us and it's gloomy for most of the winter.Can anyone give any advice on Adelaide and family friendly suburbs maybe with lots of Brits? Thanks :)

Funnily enough we are relocating from Melbourne to Adelaide this week. We have been here 18 months but have always loved Adelaide and never really felt a connection to Melbourne. Like you with like the smaller cities with the dance to be out of the city very quickly. We also wanted to live near the beach and found Melbourne areas too expensive and built up. We now have a lovely house one road from the beach in Adelaide with a 20 min commute to the CBD. My husband found a job surprisingly easily and loves it. We don't know anyone there but fancy giving it a go....quite expensive to relocate though! The summers are hotter but the winter can get pretty much like Melbourne although probably snaps out if it a bit quicker, I think it has rained in Adelaide most days over that past month!

Good luck with your decision

Jx

$73k a year will see you surviving in Adelaide as a family of 3, depending on where you rent or what your home loan is, but its no match for a salary of 60k pounds in the UK as you know. That's about double in real terms. As far as Adelaide goes, there are lots of suburbs that will fit the bill, and the winter is cold but has a good share of sunny days. The rough weather seems to blow out quite quickly. I was down on the beach in my shorts yesterday :)

I mostly like Adelaide, though we live just outside the city as we prefer being a bit rural.

From your post though, and with that salary in mind, it sounds like you are leaning towards staying in the UK.

What was it about Melbourne that didn't do it for you? Might be able to give you a bit more of an idea if Adelaide is different enough.

Depends how much you want to see your hubby :-) if he's working off shore in Aberdeen then he will be away from home a lot I'm guessing?

We very recently moved over to Adelaide and it's lovely even though it is winter. It feels like home already. The starting salary your hubby has been offered here isn't bad either.

Most people move back because they miss family so that's the choice you need to make IMO because choosing between Aberdeen or Adelaide is a no brainer lol

• 2 weeks later...

Do your research, £60k in Aberdeen is not very much as I believe it is very expensive to live there and house prices are rocketing. Aberdeen is not typical of the rest of Scotland.

Just as an example, myself and my wife earn circa 20% more than £60k and still find ourselves spending all of our wages each month living in the SE. UK is no longer a cheap place to live.

S

$73K isn't a lot and you might struggle but remember, it's only whilst he trains for his new position. What will his permanent wage be? How far away is that? As previously said, Adelaide and surrounding areas are by far the better choice than Melbourne. You certainly won't be a home alone mum, there are too many friends here you haven't yet met. Go for it guys, you'll never, ever, regret it.