Hi All

We are moving to adelaide mid Jan, so far we have organised

Container arranged for 25th Sept

Flights booked for Jan

Temporary accommodation booked for first 2 weeks

Bank sorted: collect cards on arrival

Moneycorp account set up: still to transfer funds

Dog booked to arrive in March

We have still to arrange a hire car for first week or so & we know we will have to wait till arrival to organise medicare, tax numbers, longterm rental, cars etc, but is there anything else we should be doing now? Just feel there must be something ive missed??

Thanks

On the UK side think about who you need to notify and when. Some won't let you notify to cancel till the day or so before you leave, others want a few weeks notice and some in writing. Everything from TV licence to tax, gas to council tax (and you may get a rebate there so ensure you have an account a cheque or credit can be paid in to and an address for them to send said cheque to). Leave UK bank account open perhaps? If you don't have a joint one, perhaps change one to this so you can both use it and access it. Banks are fine with you moving overseas. Just notify them of your new address etc and its good. Also handy for trips back, transferring money and so on. And should you ever return, account there waiting.

Just checking, containers usually take about 12 weeks, give or take. Sometimes less. Sometimes more. Have you allowed for it sitting waiting to be delivered/collected if it arrives early (or even on time) and fees that may be charged if its there and not collected? As in it arrives the end of Dec or before and you don't arrive till Jan sometime.

Hi Snifter

They have advised us of about 14 weeks, we are using a shared container. I did think it was a bit early myself, but I suppose they don't ship the stuff straight away from the house? We have however requested storage untill we get a long term rental although we will collect my partners tools earlier so he can start work. Its quite a small shipment no furniture. Hopefully storage isnt too costly but maybe I should just check the costs of this now thanks!!

2 weeks then you thinks too short a time, we are arriving into brisbane for 2 weeks before we get to adelaide so I was hoping we could get most things like banks/ tax numbers etc sorted there and arrange house viewings straight away on arrival. There are only the 2 of us so we could check into a hostel if we cant extend our rental if we needed. Or would we be better extended the rental for 4 weeks now, maybe im being a bit too optimistic lol!

Most rental viewings are open viewings at set times (usually for half an hour to 45 minutes) during the day and sometimes evenings or weekends. Private viewings don't really happen. Its a bit of a bun fight if there are numerous applicants and you may well have to be quick or offer extra bond or some such to snag one if you really like it.

Check realestate.com.au for rentals listed once you arrive in Adelaide and plan your viewings. It can help if you are concentrating on a smaller area as if you are looking all over you'll spend ages travelling, a small fortune in fuel and it'll eat into your viewing times.

2 weeks then you thinks too short a time, we are arriving into brisbane for 2 weeks before we get to adelaide so I was hoping we could get most things like banks/ tax numbers etc sorted there and arrange house viewings straight away on arrival.

House viewings to rent or to buy? Big difference. If you're thinking of a rental you need to be aware there will most likely be several people viewing the same property at the same time and an application form will need to be submitted to the agent who will then submit them to the owner of the property who in turn will sift through them and pick out the application they like the look of. References may be required and if you have none from a previous Australian landlord that might put them off renting to you. It's not like you will go and see a property and agree it there and then unless you are extremely lucky or you know someone who knows someone.

House viewing to rent! I guess I have under estimated the processes with renting, Kind of thought it would be a quick process. Would renting directly of a landlord, say like of the likes of gumtree be quicker or would they have the same processes, like viewing days?

Thanks for the advice, think I’ll definitely get our short term rental extended a bit longer then, don’t really fancy the thought of the added stress and pressure if we can’t find somewhere so soon. Our dog is joining us in March so that will probably rule alot of properties as well!

House viewing to rent! I guess I have under estimated the processes with renting, Kind of thought it would be a quick process. Would renting directly of a landlord, say like of the likes of gumtree be quicker or would they have the same processes, like viewing days?

Thanks for the advice, think I’ll definitely get our short term rental extended a bit longer then, don’t really fancy the thought of the added stress and pressure if we can’t find somewhere so soon. Our dog is joining us in March so that will probably rule alot of properties as well!

Well, it can be if you snag a property from your first viewing of your first open ;) But there are a lot of dud houses out there and what may look decent in pics is actually horrible. Many of the pics they use for rentals are old pics from when it was first let 6 years ago or something. And so it looked nicer then. Also depending on what areas you are considering you may have a lot of other interested parties willing to stump up more bond or offer an extra few $$ a week rent or some such to secure.

I'd definately not rush into renting as more often than not leases are for a year here and so if it ends up you hate the area or the house/landlord turns out to be awful you can be stuck there till you find someone else to take on the lease or it ends.

I'd not go via Gumtree but that is me. Plenty of dodgy people out there for new arrivals to get ripped off. Sure you get some decent ones but honestly, going via an agent for your first rental is probably not a bad idea. At least you know what is what and the process is all there for you to walk through.

Also look out on here for people breaking their leases (usually as moving into own house or moving areas) as they will hopefully vouch for the house and landlord.

And don't be put off about pets. If a property states 'No Pets' then I'd cross it off and not bother looking. If it doesn't say anything either way, its worth a punt but be prepared to pay extra bond to help seal the deal. If its Pets Allowed then the house may well show signs of previous pets or the garden may not be great if dog has lived outside. But you'd be fine for keeping your dog there.

We moved out last August, got a holiday rental for 2 weeks in Semaphore it wasn't the best but it was the cheapest we could find, as they say you get what you pay for, we managed to find a long term rent within the two weeks with 1 day to spare, but Snifter and Sidestep are right we viewed a few properties and there were a number of other potential applicants at the arranged viewing too. Yes one of the snags we hit was there were fewer rentals that would accept pets, but they are about. Also we got a letter of good standing from our UK mortgage company which we submitted when we applied, not sure if this actually helped or not but just an idea.

Also have a look into Ambulance cover for when you arrive:

http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx

Cheers