Hello everyone!

Guest Lisarobinson

Guest Lisarobinson

Hello there.

Ive looked for work but honestly if I did get an interview I wouldn't know what to do. I am very nervous to travel a bout here and on my own is even worse :( my sister tries to help me out but she is at work full time and can only help once or twice a week. Its so frustrating I want to go home already and family think I am mad and so on..

Hello :)

Can I ask what part of travelling about you are struggling with? Driving, public transport? Driving wise it's not bad to navigate or use sat nav/google maps to get round.

What visa are you here on? What sort of work are you seeking? Others may be able to give suggestions or pointers if they know.

Guest Lisarobinson

Hey and I dont drive but I am learning while I am here. Public transport is rare where I am which is north haven. when I was in England I had transport coming out of my ears so it was very easy to navigate where as here I feel stuck. :(

I am on a year working holiday visa. Work I am looking for is to work with animals like a wildlife part or cleaning, some retail.

North Haven is an awkward spot but there appears to be a train route running from it and from that you should be able to change for bus options (or there are buses from there also heading different directions).

TBH where you are without a car is probably not going to be much good for casual WHV type work. Animal parks are all further away up in the hills and I doubt they have much casual work going. You could probably pick up some cleaning if you advertise or reply to ads on Gumtree and local paper.

Honestly, on a WHV I'd be looking to head into the city to stay for a couple of weeks at a YH or one of the more lively suburbs where they have YH or backpacker accommodation and get to meet others on a WHV and travelling. They often have tips for finding work, can pass contacts along and hostels sometimes take you on doing casual work. And consider broadening your employment seeking options and being prepared to turn your hand to whatver. I don't know if there is any regional work around atm that would get you your second year WHV if you do it for the 3 months required. But worth looking into as the whole of SA is classed as regional and if you do the work that is listed for the second year purposes its good.

Horse wise if you have worked with them I'd keep an eye open for the Morphettville racecourse or stables there listing stable hand jobs, usually on Gumtree in the Work section or Animals or some such. Anti social start times being a racing yard, usually a 5am roll call or thereabouts. Or check Gumtree for jobs. Go via Jobs-Farming and Vetinary and you should see a fair few listed. Often the places further out list with accommodation of some sort and could well count as your regional work. I just looked on there and an Alpaca herdsperson casual was wanted in Balhannah a few days ago. Or list yourself on there as looking and hope people contact you. But check it daily and refine your search to cover all sorts of things.

Try not to be too down. It sounds to me like where you are currently based, without driving or getting round on public transport, the WHV isn't really going to work for you. You need to be prepared to move elsewhere perhaps, get yourself out there a bit more and get familiar with things, find your feet a little and go enjoy what Aus has to offer. The WHV can be a great experience and a fab way to travel and see Aus or parts of Aus. Make the most of it if you can :) There are lots of people over here doing the same and you can easily meet others, but you need to be elsewhere for it to really happen.

. Public transport is rare where I am which is north haven. .

Trains leave North Haven station every 30 mins on the hour, and half past the hour seven days a week. It's 34 minutes to the city.

We drive but always get the train to the city, it costs less than parking the car and is way less stressful.

Regards

Steve