Another Newbie! (With some info requests thrown in)

Guest IanS

Hi guys, after many visits to the site gathering information this is my 1st post on this wonderful forum! :smile:

As well as an introduction I was also hoping to get a bit of info/some opinions on a couple of topics...

My wife and I have got a visa agent all ready to sort a 189 visa out but before we 'press the button' we would like to be sure on our intentions to move.

This leads me to my questions...as a young (ish) couple, i.e. 31 and 26, we were considering city centre living as a good option that would give us easy access to work areas and bars/restaurants, possibly negating the need for a car. So with this in mind does anybody have any thoughts on this plan? any obvious flaws? or perhaps live in the city themselves and can give us some feedback or good/bad points.

Any comments would be gratefully received, and sorry for waffling on!:chatterbox:

Go for it. Sounds like a great plan to me. I'd love to live in the city but with two kids it's not really practical at the moment. I was just talking with a friend at work about this the other day and we were both saying how we would love to live in the city, with everything close by and being able to get walk everywhere you needed to. You can get pretty much anywhere on a bus, tram or train from the CBD if you want to go anywhere else.

My hubby lived in the CBD in his twenties. A few blocks from the Central Market and within walking distance of the parklands on that side. Was fab. He loved it there, I did too.

We used to walk pretty much everywhere in the city from there. Or wander to Vic square and catch the tram to Rundle Mall or wherever else we wanted to be close to. Cinemas, restaurants, cafes, market on hand for pretty much daily shopping. And could take the tram out to Glenelg with ease if we wanted the beach or an evening out down there. Plus bus and train not far to pretty much anywhere else.

If we were just the two of us I'd happily live in the city again, at least for a little while.

Would suggest getting push bikes if you want to get around with ease and to make use of to cycle the parklands and so on as they are pretty big to get round.

I agree with NicF & Snifter. If there are only 2 of you then you won't need a big place and the rent is likely to be more affordable. Also agree about the push bike idea. I had some friends (with children) move to the city fringe area of East Terrace a few years ago and they loved it. Easy walk to Universities and North Terrace. They all got a bit fitter and they also downsized to one car. (East Terrace is generally an expensive area though). Hutt Street area is also nice, not right in the city but about a 15 minute walk and very sociable on weekends with great cafes and restaurants. Lots of people about. South Terrace sometimes has some one bedroom places for rent and that's not far from Central Market and has a tram nearby.

Yep I think that's a great plan! definitely agree on getting bikes. I would love to be able to walk/cycle to do all my grocery shopping at the Central Markets. Lots of choice too on styles of accommodation - lots of different apartments, townhouses and some super cute old terraced cottages in the south west corner of the city especially (and I'm guessing elsewhere).

Thanks for the feedback guys, all positive as well!

Bikes sound like a great idea and we were also thinking of hiring a car occasionally on the weekends if we want to venture into the hills/along the coast.

All good so far, now to just find an apartment, job etc!!