Hello

Mazza227

Hi, I've been advised to come on to this site by a friend who relocated to Adelaide earlier this year. We are just thinking seriously (after years of thinking about it!) about moving to Adelaide area. We filled in the form to work out points, but there was not a section for filling in regarding self employed people. My husband is a painter/decorator which is on the skills list but he is self employed. I am a part time office worker and do the school runs for our 2 girls!

My husband is 42 so we need to get moving pretty quickly before he gets to 44 or I believe it becomes much harder.

So if anybody has any advise regarding self employed people coming over, then it will be very welcome. He is actually thinking of trying to find a job for a company to start with as it's hard to build up clients in a new area etc.

I will go now and have a look at the other forums to see what info I can find out:huh:

Look up the code for his job and it should tell you who the assessing body is. They have different requirements for each body. It will probably be trades recognition australia. They should be able to tell you if they need a qualification.

Abn and white cards don't come in until you get here.

I can out to Australia being self employed in the UK and I had to prove my company by the means of statuatory declarations, references from several customers and enclose my tax returns for several years prior to moving out !!

I have several friends out here that are Painter and Decorators so could point you in there direction for help and advise.

I noticed the other day an advert on here for Painters.

Thank you, he will only have 3 years tax returns as he was employed before that, but getting those is not a problem, references also will be fine.

Did you carry on being self employed when you went out there, or did you work for someone to start with? I think that is what he is thinking of doing whilst we get the hang of how things work out there etc.

Any help from your friends though would be much appreciated though please, we are very new to it so need to get as much advise as possible :smile: