How quickly life can change!

DebbieG

Hi all ...

from being happy here in Lincolnshire, with 2 boys (22 & 24), my own therapy business of 18 years ... my singing & teaching - my Hubby was headhunted for a job a month ago to work in South Austailia. We were both flown out last week & had a whirlwind tour of Whyalla, Adelaide & Melbourne. I can't quite believe that I'm back in the UK, severely jet lagged, with contracts being drawn up & visas being applied for.

I now face selling our home, getting rid of years of 'stuff', informing all my patients & the school I teach in, & the worst of all ... leaving my boys behind .

I guess the next few months are going to be tough ... hence I found this site & thought I'd seek help & advice from people who I'm sure have 'been there & done it' so to speak.

I welcome any advice, support & guidance you can offer ...

Debbie x

Wow! How exciting! And scary ;)

I think, for me, it would be leaving my kids behind which would hurt the most, but at 22 and 24 I'm guessing that they are 'grown up' and away from home?

Our kids aren't quite that old yet, but already they have their own life plans. My OH and I are at that point where we seem to be thinking more about what we want, and less about what they need. They, and kids we know, seem ready and able to live their own lives including travelling / living in other states /countries. You could stay where you are, and in a few years find they decide to move away.

I think the point I am trying to make is, your life is yours. Moving sounds a huge upheaval, but also a huge adventure. How exciting to move as people, rather than parents!

Good luck!

:cool: LC

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. We are coming out on a 457 visa? All new to me, but hey ... we have decided together to embrace this amazing opportunity. Emotions are coming over us both in waves - sometimes tears, sometimes disbelief, but sometimes childlike excitement at our new adventure together!

Rich will be working in Whyalla, but we are unsure at the moment where we will be living. Either Port Lincoln or Adelaide? Or??? He will commute to me at weekends, so I need somewhere I can enjoy living and making friends.

I have had a business for 18 years as a therapist, doing various treatments such as, massage, reflexology, Indian head massage, waxing etc. I work in homes for the elderly, and have patients with dementia and mental health problems. I am singer and teach at schools. I also teach crafting ... the rest for a while at least will do me good. Your comments and support will, I'm sure, keep me going through the next few months.

Thank you again xxx

Just a thought about the 457, being a temp visa, is it definite you want to sell your house before you move? I ask as sometimes people only do the 4 years or less, lose their job or don't get sponsored for PR for whatever reason down the track, no longer on list, too old or something else.

Have you looked into renting it out as an interim or longer term option till you know you are going to remain in Aus long term.

With regards to where to live, Whyalla and Port Lincoln are not places I would choose to live as a long way from anywhere of substance but some do settle up that way. I personally would choose to live nearer Adelaide or one of the smaller towns much nearer it but that is me. Plus work does not mean that is where my focus would lie. It's along drive for your husband to head down every weekend that's for sure.

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Debbie! It is worth your hubby approaching his employer to ask about paying for him to fly to Adelaide at weekends, there are several flights a day with Rex air. The flights are 50 minutes as apposed to 4-6 hours driving. It sounds as though the employer really wants him working there if he has been head hunted and they have flown you both out to look around.

It is not that unusual here for people to "fly in fly out" and don't feel like you shouldn't ask, it is just as important for his employer to encourage him to want to stay as to get him here in the first place. :smile:

Guest Claire-n-tel
Yes, thank you. His contract is being drawn up now, so that was one of our questions for the 'fine tuning' before he signs ... that and health care. There's just so much to think about, take in and do??!!

If they came looking for him then I would think you are in a great position for getting a package that you are both happy with.

Yes, thank you. His contract is being drawn up now, so that was one of our questions for the 'fine tuning' before he signs ... that and health care. There's just so much to think about, take in and do??!!

I would also be asking if they can give you a PR visa from the start .If you don't ask you won't get.

Guest Sarah Bradley

I am a music teacher and singer we live on the south side of the city near Marion which I find gives me easy access to schools (for work) and public transport (for travel to shows and events in town). I currently direct a couple of singing groups and sing in a couple of quartet's which keeps me out and about and performing regularly. There are lots of great music events here as well as a good range of singing groups of various styles, everything from Gilbert and Sullivan to barbershop! I also teach private pupils from home one evening a week. They love their bits of paper here so be prepared to jump hoops to get approved for working in schools. The process can take a while and you will need to attend a couple of training courses as well as the usual police and qualifications check. Best of luck enjoy the ride :)

The visa will be either temporary, TR or permanent, PR. Which one it is can make a huge difference. If it's temporary I'd be pushing for PR asap as you have far more rights and able to remain in Aus should the job end rather than having to find another sponsor. What visa number is it you are applying for?

Yes 457 - he has just received his full job offer/contract and all the info regarding our relocation package etc yesterday.

There are a few things we need clarifying and possibly 'tweaking' but looks like it's all happening. We have to set up a bank account too ... another thing we haven't a clue with?

So, location for living will either be Adelaide with him commuting from Whyalla each week or maybe Port Loncoln? We've seen parts of Adelaide when we had 1 day to ourselves on our visit, but not Port Lincoln?

Has anyone been to give me any more advice on it?

So many questions sorry ... oh. and our house should be going on the market in the next week hopefully!

At the risk of offending anyone on the West Coast, I think Port Lincoln is a lovely place for a holiday, but you have to be a local to enjoy living there.

Having said that, I have friends who wanted to get away from "the rat race" in Adelaide and live there happily. It is a large town, a long way to drive from Adelaide and flights are expensive.

I also know some people who enjoy living in Whyalla, and have made a career move there. If you don't want to live in a large city, then maybe look there.

It is all very exciting for you at the moment, but are you sure you want to sell your house, especially with adult children still in UK?

• 1 month later...

Well an update ... looks like it's Whyalla for me for a while and not Adelaide yet.

House went on the market 2 weeks ago and has sold straight away to cash buyers, so looks like I'm gonna be moving with my Hubby now early Feb.

Its mad here ...

Can anyone help re Medical Records? Do we have to request and bring them?

Not sure what to do re the records ... may ask my Dr just in case I think.

So much to do in such a short space of time ... where are you moving to?

We don't have a place yet, but the comany will put us up for 6 weeks or so, then we just have to wait for all our belongings to arrive!

It's all a bit scary right now!

Not sure what to do re the records ... may ask my Dr just in case I think.

So much to do in such a short space of time ... where are you moving to?

We don't have a place yet, but the comany will put us up for 6 weeks or so, then we just have to wait for all our belongings to arrive!

It's all a bit scary right now!

There really is no need to bring any medical paperwork unless you have an ongoing condition or perhaps were treated for something serious recently. Your general medical history isn't needed as any doctor you see here will ask you background stuff as and when. I'd honestly not worry about it. The system works very differrently here and you can go to any GP you wish, unlike in the UK where you register with a GP practice and go to them each time.

I brought some medical notes and paperwork with me for an ongoing condition but for anything else I've needed to see a GP for, I've not needed anything. Just whatever is relavent to the situation at the time, which I tell them myself.