Adelaide or Brisbane

Guest sprayer

Guest sprayer

Hello everyone

We have applied for a PR 175 visa. We have always thought we would move to Adelaide. However we now seem to be interested in Brisbane.

On the Brisbane site there are a few threads asking Adelaide or Brisbane. They all seem to be saying Brisbane.

Did or does anyone else feel torn with the 2.

If so please could you tell me what made you decide on Adelaide or Brisbane.

Thanks

These are just a couple of pros and cons straight off the top of my head

Brissie is more what you perceive Aus to be

Adelaide gets pretty cold in the Winter

More places to go and see in Brissie, e.g Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Sydney only 60 minute flight. Don’t feel quite so isolated in Brissie - once you've been to the local places in Adelaide umpteen times you have to travel interstate to go anywhere different

Brissie more laid back

Brissie can get v humid, Adelaide v dry

Gold Coast very commercial

Gets dark early all year round in Brissie, not quite so in Adelaide

Found to be more mozzies in Adelaide

Brissie doesn’t feel so parochial

Who you know not what you know in Adelaide

Guest Django

Funny that they all said Brissie on the Brissie site. :biglaugh:

My first chioce was Brisbane. Still is if I'm honest. However, Tracey feels that Brissie would be too hot for her and then there is summer. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Once we had compromised and she said lets go to Adelaide the more I looked at it the more I found that Adelaide had more of what we wanted as a family. I also think having it colder in the winter is a good thing as you will get a bit of a break from the heat. Humidity could also be a problem and I guess the lighter evenings would be a bonus.

So Adelaide for us. And if I can say this without being accused of being PC :rolleyes: you, like us, won't really know until you get there.

Pete

Guest Rossetti's

I dont know a great deal about Brisbane, my dad has just gone there to live its meant to be lovely but property more expensive sorry thats all i really know. keri xx

Guest SunSeekers

Hi

We were just the same always dead cert Adelaide and about a month ago we had a wobble towards Brisbane!!! Don't know where this has come from but it seems to be very common - I haven't yet read anyone stuck between any other cities except Adelaide & Brisbane. :arghh:

To add fuel to the fire our agent asked us why we were going to Adelaide as in her words it was "dead" and there were not many jobs for OH. She did a search and for his occupation Adelaide turned up 0 jobs while Brisbane had over 80 jobs available!!!! :arghh::arghh:

We then sent a few e-mails to some building firms in Adelaide area, not asking for job offers, just asking them for info on demand for builders. Only one response so far and they recommended that we try Perth!!!! Don't know why they would do that as everyone is clearly stating that there is very little construction work for those already there never mind newcommers!!!! :skeptical:

So we are just going to wait until the visa comes, get agent to do another search and wherever the best job prospects are then thats where we are going.

It is sooo hard though cos we have spent so much time researching Adelaide it would be a shame to have to go elsewere and we have two kids so we really don't want to be moving them around every couple of months.

Good luck wherever you land

All the best

Paul, Sharon, Ben(6) & Helen(4)

Guest Rob and Clare

Having never been to Brisbane on our reccie it was never really an option for us. But after visiting there in December for a week, i was really impressed, much more modern and sophisticated than what we had been led to believe and certainly more than Adelaide.

It has positives and negatives though.

Positives

Winters are Warmer than Adelaide

Summers are cooler than Adelaide

Possible to drive around without 100 sets of traffic lights to cross

Better airport / flight options for visiters and holdiays

More concerts and activities

Much more to see there in the surrounding areas, Adelaide is Isolated.

Lower Unemployment

All the parks are green, not the dusty wasteland that exists here.

Negatives:

Summers are wet

ironically even with extra rain (more than double that of London's) it has massive water shortages, even water rationing

Can still get cool away from the coast in winter

Traffic Jams.....

Depending on your skills jobs can be hard to come by, lots of tourism jobs and less industry.

Cane Toads......

If i was to decide again I couldn't honestly say which is best... They are both nice places.... The deciding factor maybe is just to decide which area offers better employment for you....

Guest Sharron & Andrew

Hi,

We too are now looking towards brisbane due to the fact that there is more work for Andrew there. A friend of ours lives on gold coast and she said that brisbane would be heaven to Andrew as it is a building site, so we are looking to live in a suburb about an hour out of the city, this way he can commute and I can go to the beach with the kids!!

Sharron, Andrew (Bricklayer), Matty (12), Kenan (9)

Guest fieldinthesun

think its about what you want out of life, brisbane much bigger and commercial, you see me coming from not so sunny carlisle in the uk preferred small ( although i thought adelaide was like london when i first got here)

weathers good here most of the year and i like that bit of winter, ready for summer tho after a couple of months.

jobs are an issue, again being a nurse i hsd no probs

good luck

Guest Sharron & Andrew

Carlisle not sunny, what do you mean, it's glourious sunshine today.....well once you get above the clouds it is!!!!

Our agent thinks we are slightly nuts as we have explained to him that we don't want to live in the city and would prefer a small town at least an hour away. He can't get his head round the fact that we have to drive for an hour to even get to the M6 motorway, (you were much more urbanised in Carlisle)! and it takes 2 hours at least to get to the nearest airport.

Our agents are based down south and thought that I was joking when I said we would need a weekend if we were to go to their office for a face to face consultation, when I told him we lived in the North of England he thought we lived near Manchester!

I would be interested to hear how you found the move coming originally from our area. We get fed up in the traffic when we go shopping to Carlisle so I don't know how we will cope, although I don't mind driving in the US so maybe I'll be okay??!

Guest Diane

The people are much, much friendlier in Adelaide. And it's a lot drier here - Brisbane had nothing but rain all summer!!

So Adelaide for me, but then I'm not a 'bright lights big city' type of gal. In my opinion, Sydney is the big blonde suntanned sporty type of girl, in your face and confident, Brisbane the busty, loud, party girl, always up for a good time, and Melbourne the attractive brunette with very visible charms and a reputation for shopping till she drops. Adelaide is the slightly plainer, quieter little sister, whose beauty may not hit you immediately, but once you've seen it, you notice it more and more, and if you're looking for a girl to settle down and raise a family with, she's your girl!

Each to his own though, and I'd rather people went to Brisbane instead of coming to Adelaide and feeling they've missed out on something bigger and 'better' and then constantly whinged about it, making those of us that feel Adelaide is best feel the need to defend our fair city!

Diane

Guest kfoley0681

hi we have never been to either but have opinions from friends over there. adelaide is a more relax 20 years ago life style where as brisbane is built up busy and coast is commercaialist. jobs dont seem to be aproblem any where over there and i read something yesterday that said skilled workers are going to be offered higher salarys as many people going to the mines. what do you want out of life laid back or busy? visit both and see. we are waiting on visas anyday and have bought a winnebago in cairns and are travellingdown the east coast and around south to adeladie to set up home. in a few years we may move on our own thoughts of our experiences.

Guest kfoley0681

hi now i have family in perth and it is meant to be a beautlful place and there is a huge mine there im told but not a lot else! could be peaceful although i did read somewhere on the net that it has the highest crime rate in oz!? but hey until you visit you dont know!

Hi - all i can say from our experience during a month's go - see two years ago was that we saw a few cities [Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane/Adelaide] and Adelaide really stood out for us as where we'd like our family to grow up. I can remember the air hostess on an internal flight we made from Brisbane to Adelaide instructing us passengers that we were about to descend into Adelaide airport and would we like to re-wind our watches back twenty years?! [hee hee]. Funny thing is - everyone on board sniggered at this but that is exactly what appealed to us!!! I like 'backward'!!!! There's a lot to be said for living twenty years behind the times me thinks!!! Having said that.... out of of all the other possible cities we were considering to apply to live in - Brisbane would've been next on the list. It is gorgeous but i'm afraid the humidity would've done my head in i'm sure... so Adelaide it is for us!!!!!! [That is if we can sell our flamin' house:arghh:!] Jacinta

Hi Diane, cant figure out how to do a private message. Just wondered how you were getting on in the finance job, with different tax laws etc. Was it easy to get a job.I am in finance and there seems to be loads on jobs on seek.com but wondered what there attitude was if you dont have experience with the aussie system.

Thanks. Carole n Andrew

The people are much, much friendlier in Adelaide. And it's a lot drier here - Brisbane had nothing but rain all summer!!

So Adelaide for me, but then I'm not a 'bright lights big city' type of gal. In my opinion, Sydney is the big blonde suntanned sporty type of girl, in your face and confident, Brisbane the busty, loud, party girl, always up for a good time, and Melbourne the attractive brunette with very visible charms and a reputation for shopping till she drops. Adelaide is the slightly plainer, quieter little sister, whose beauty may not hit you immediately, but once you've seen it, you notice it more and more, and if you're looking for a girl to settle down and raise a family with, she's your girl!

Each to his own though, and I'd rather people went to Brisbane instead of coming to Adelaide and feeling they've missed out on something bigger and 'better' and then constantly whinged about it, making those of us that feel Adelaide is best feel the need to defend our fair city!

Diane

Guest Diane

Hi Carole

The best thing I did when I got here was do a two day course at the WEA (Adult Education Centre) on MYOB which is the accounting system most places use here. Apparently it is very similar to Quickbooks but I've not used that so can't confirm or deny that! I just do the finances for a small company, payroll, invoicing etc - we have a chartered accountant that does the complicated stuff, but certainly things don't seem all that complicated - GST is the equivalent of VAT and is charged on most things, apart from certain foods - it's 10% so pretty easy to work out, and then there's stuff like Workcover and Medicare Levy but really, nothing too tough. The tax office does run free courses on various aspects - I've been to a couple of these and they've very useful. Experience always helps get a job, but I started off doing temping work and found that a great way to get to know people, and start building up a network, which to be honest, is how a lot of jobs here are filled and found. Good luck anyway, but definitely consider the MYOB course.

Diane

Perth, well.... there are a lot of things going for it, there is big money there, lots of mansions. The beaches are on the Ocean, rather than protected by the Gulf waters as in Adelaide. It has an excellent transport system, fast well thought out. Good schools/universities. Airfares are cheaper for overseas flights cos you are just that much closer to where you are going.

However Perth shuts at Midday on Saturday and reopens Monday morning. This may be difficult for people who are used to shops etc that stay open 7 days a week.

I live in Adelaide because work brought us here ! But if I had a choice would go to Brisbane 1st as I believe more opportunities for the future, also milder winters as so cold here in Adelaide !! I have been to Brisbane and all other states in Oz.

Guest Lulujim
milder winters as so cold here in Adelaide !!

Hi - HOW cold are the winters in Adelaide?? How many layers are we talking? Gloves, scarves and hat?? Am worried now......

Well outside at the mo (night time) its pretty cold, but then I was just wearing my short sleeved work shirt. Now I'm home I have chucked on a non fleecy hoody and am fine. We are not heating our house at the present and winter starts next month. You wont need gloves scarves and hat, except maybe gloves early in the morning if you are watching sport. Hats n scarves are for oldies or fashion, not truly necessary. Little kids wear hats in winter. If you are outdoors on a very cold day you would need a shirt and a thickfleece,plus maybe a light coat if wet. Or a shirt , thin jumper and a jacket.

In Melbourne last night it went down to 2 degrees here it was 10 degrees.

Guest paul smith

That does not sound too bad. I can manage a bit of winter for a few months ( as opposed to over half the year in the UK) if I get a bit of heat in the summer. But do not like the hot stickyness, looks like it is Adelaide still for me. And also I am up for more daylight hours, which I think Adelaide has?