Just got our grant! Newbie! Nurse looking to move to adelaide in Oct/Nov 2015

Guest Nursebucko

Guest Nursebucko

Hello everyone,

i have have been on the pomsinoz site mainly but thought I would head over here.....

As we have just received our 189 visa grant this week! So me & my family are absolutely thrilled!! ?

We are looking at moving to Adelaide, mainly due to the fact that we hear it is good for young families and the climate is good.

We are a family of four, me & my husband and 2 boys (7&8).

I am a nurse, and one of the reasons I am looking at coming here is I can hopefully do the nurse bridging course in adelaide as AHPRA are not taking my diploma anymore.

A few things I want to ask you lovely people, is the weather? What is the climate like in Adelaide really? We were looking at queensland originally as we do love our sun! But I am worried about the humidity there and both my boys suffer abit from asthma and have been recommended a more drier climate which might be more suitable for us.

Plus queensland don't do the bridging course I need.

Now in Adelaide, I love the look of the city, hills and the beach, and I have to say I am torn between the hills and the beach but still would need a reasonable distance to the city as I am thinking of possibly more job opportunities , more hospital work etc

i don't mind travelling much to work though, my priority is the kids and finding good schools.

So any recommendations for semi rural beach areas quite close to the city or up to 30 -40 mins drive to the city??

I really don't know where to start? Lol x

Thanks

Guest vikkiann

Congratulations on your grant!

The he first place to start is usually to have an idea of where you'll be working.

Personally, i the beach but lots of people love the hills, it's personal choice really

Hello there

I also love the beach and my favourite is Henley... way outside my price range though. I live in Hope Valley... best of both worlds... 20 minutes from the city and the Royal Adelaide Hospital about 40 from Flinders and about the same from Queen Elizabeth. Then Henley is about 40 minutes on a busy day. Hope Valley is quiet and semi rural. Pretty good base if you don't know where to start.

The weather is hot hot in the height of summer and not too cold in the winter. Not much humidity at anytime really.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any more questions.

Clare

I also prefer the beach suburbs.

I rent furnished properties in Port Noarlunga which is a beachside suburb 30 minutes drive from the city. I also live in Port Noarlunga!

There are some stunning but affordable suburbs along our southern coast.

Edited by Tamara (Homes Down Under)

Hello and welcome.

I am trying to think of semi rural beach areas that are close to the city or within a certain drive time. A lot will depend on where you are working of course with regard to travelling times.

I don't think of any of the southern suburbs along the coast as semi rural within the timeframe you are saying about. Its suburbia. Along the coast. Some parts lovely, some perhaps not quite as much, depends on the eye of the beholder.

Semi rural areas down that way I tend to think more Willunga, Mclaren Vale and other small towns a bit inland. You can drive to the beach with ease from these places in a matter of minutes, its not like its a 20-30 minute drive or anything. But its a longer commute to the city from those places. If you were heading to Flinders or a local southern suburbs hospital it wouldn't be as far.

I guess Aldinga on the coast could be classed of as semi rural also, but its a lot longer to the city from there. Some are very happy living down there but I freely admit its not for me. I do like Mclaren Vale and Willunga but still, too far south for our needs and wants. We live more inland in the foothills which suits us but is not for everyone.

I'd have a study of google maps of Adelaide to get an idea of the suburbs along the coast. Within the timeframe you mention they are built up and in some expanding at a fair lick with new builds. And there is little in the way of semi rural till you are much further down the coast. Around the city its really city or surburban living.

Climate wise, its a dry heat thats for sure. And make no mistake, the sun is harsh (as it is all over Aus) with the UV ratings needing watching and sun cream, shade and so on all being important. In the heat of the day we don't really venture out doing anything overly active, well, unless you are my husband wanting a quick 45 minute spin of the legs up the hills to break up the working day. Doesn't really stop us doing stuff but its not pleasant being out in the middle of the day sun if its beating down on you without respite in the middle of summer.

I'd study this site for schools

http://myschool.edu.au/

and use this one to refer to also if you want to know how they rank. If a school isn't in the top 150 you can find it using the search feature there. Will at least give you a starting point.

http://primary-school-ranking-adelaide-south-australia.street-directory.com.au/#top_schools

A big part of where we chose to settle was schools based and also we didn't really want to live along the coast as not drawn to those suburbs at all, but school was a huge factor and I spent many hours researching. I am sure you'll find something to suit your wants/needs once you are here :)

Are you intending to work at one place, or do agency work all over? If the latter, do check out the locations of all the major hospitals - there is the Womens and Childrens which is in North Adelaide, The Royal Adelaide which is in the City, the Queen Elizabeth which is sort of North West, Modbury which is North East, the Lyell McEwin which is North, Flinders which is South, just off the top of my head, then various private places as well.

Don't try and fix on one particular place till you get here and check places out. What looks easily do-able on the map may not be quite so attractive when you do it for real, and an area that you think you might like might not appeal when you see it for yourself.

Try and find a short term rental as centrally located as you can, and check out job prospects first. Once you know where you will be working, it will be easier to narrow down your options.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

i have have been on the pomsinoz site mainly but thought I would head over here.....

As we have just received our 189 visa grant this week! So me & my family are absolutely thrilled!! 

We are looking at moving to Adelaide, mainly due to the fact that we hear it is good for young families and the climate is good.

We are a family of four, me & my husband and 2 boys (7&8).

I am a nurse, and one of the reasons I am looking at coming here is I can hopefully do the nurse bridging course in adelaide as AHPRA are not taking my diploma anymore.

A few things I want to ask you lovely people, is the weather? What is the climate like in Adelaide really? We were looking at queensland originally as we do love our sun! But I am worried about the humidity there and both my boys suffer abit from asthma and have been recommended a more drier climate which might be more suitable for us.

Plus queensland don't do the bridging course I need.

Now in Adelaide, I love the look of the city, hills and the beach, and I have to say I am torn between the hills and the beach but still would need a reasonable distance to the city as I am thinking of possibly more job opportunities , more hospital work etc

i don't mind travelling much to work though, my priority is the kids and finding good schools.

So any recommendations for semi rural beach areas quite close to the city or up to 30 -40 mins drive to the city??

I really don't know where to start? Lol x

Thanks

Hi, im a nurse aswell and waiting for ahpra to get back to me with regards to registration. I applied in april and still waiting! I think my application was forgot about for a while.I have a diploma but I have also completed post reg modules and qualified ten years so I hope they will take that into account when reviewing my application. Have you applied to them for registration?

Im in seaford rise and i have met two nurses, both travel to flinders to work, i dont think its too far to travel.

Now that the expressway is fixed its less than 20 minutes to Flinders medical centre from where we live in Christies. Noarlunga is our small local hospital and thats just minutes away. Just pick somewhere short term and have a look around. you will get a fee for a place.

Guest Nursebucko

Hey all, and happy new year!!

Thanks so much for all of your help and advice, I will go and have a look at the hospitals and areas that you all have mentioned. I must admit, port noerlunga is taking our fancy atm, so we shall see...anyone got any reports about the local port noerlunga primary school? X

My eldest grandson went to Port Noarlunga primary and loved it there. The school received $4.5 million for an upgrade as part of the nation building stimulus programme and has new facilities. My other grandson went to Freda Corpe which is the Port Noarlunga primary school kindy. Another grandchild will be going there this year!

I am biased! Others people who send their kids there need to let you know what they think...

Guest Nursebucko

Thanks tamara,

i have just sent you an enquiry for a potential booking of one of your properties on your website. Your homes look lovely x I so cannot wait til we do this, looks like it is going to be a long 9 months!!! Lol