Just a couple of quick questions

1 do you feel you have a better quality of life in oz

2 are you better off in oz than you were in the uk

3 do you feel you made the right decision moving to oz

4 do you regret moving to oz

5 are you working longer hours or fined you have to work

6 do you feel you have been miss sold oz

7 did you do a recce before you went to oz

it would be intresting to see what some of your views are cos when we were over there we were unable to see what all the fuss was about

mick

Guest Guzzler&Sas

it would be intresting to see what some of your views are cos when we were over there we were unable to see what all the fuss was about

mick

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No

5. No

6. No

7. No

Guzzler

Here are my views so far:-

1. Yes

2. just the same

3. Yes

4. NO!!!

5. No/Yes

5. No

7. Yes

The fuss for us was about our kids getting out into the fresh air, without the fear of rain, cold etc. We wanted them to enjoy things ie sports without obstacles in the way (my kids were told they couldn't run around in the playground playing tig or hide and seek, as it caused too much of a fuss!!! and were only allowed on the astroturf if they were Primary 5 or above!) and they wonder why there are more children overweight now than at any other time!!

Guest donna T

1 do you feel you have a better quality of life in oz - yes definitely

2 are you better off in oz than you were in the uk - not financially but yes emotionally

3 do you feel you made the right decision moving to oz - yes

4 do you regret moving to oz - not at all

5 are you working longer hours or fined you have to work - hubby does but not me

6 do you feel you have been miss sold oz - no, didn't feel anyone 'sold' me anything

7 did you do a recce before you went to oz - no

Guest Diane

*mick

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yeh no sometimes (that's an aussie answer!)*

5. No

6. No

7. No

*I reckon the kids have a far better life here, and can be kids for a lot longer, just sometimes resent the fact that my life now revolves totally around the kids, whereas in the UK they did far less, so I had time to do far more 'me' stuff! Certainly I prefer my work here 100% more than I did in England - partly because I have lovely employers now! I think you ought to maybe have a question in there though too about how long people have been here - with exchange rates, house prices rising here, and house prices falling in the UK, I take my hat off to people just starting out on the journey as we definitely had a lot less hassles and stresses then than people do now.

1 do you feel you have a better quality of life inoz........

Yes definitely, it would have been harder to get where we are now in the UK .Our kids have the self confidence and knowledge that they can do whatever they set their minds to and nowhere is too far away. It is common for kids here to do the big round the world trip before they settle down. t

2 are you better off in oz than you were in the uk........

Yes when we lived in London our flat cost us 125 pounds a week, was 6 flights of stairs up and the 2nd bedroom was tiny. On top of this there was bills and food. We moved here and our rent for a 2 br unit was $125 a week. I studied nursing, getting assisted childcare payments and we bought our 1st house (very modest house, but good nuff) on 1 wage while I studied. Of course everything has gone up so much, but if youare able to come witheven a little bit of money you can make a good start. We came with $10000.

Yes there is just so much more space here and a healthier life for the kids if you take advantage of it. Sure it was hard sometimes that our kids didn't know their cousins in UK or their aunts n uncles, but we took them over last year when they were of an age to get a lot out of it. Things were a bit bleak in the UK when we left in the early 90s and we would have had to move out of London up to Liverpool to afford a place big enuff and the employment situation then in Liverpool was not good.

No. There are some things about London that I still miss, but there is a lot that was good to leave behind. Plus it was easier for me cos I had some roots here already.It was like starting again in a way when we got here as I'd been away nearly 5 years and the people I had known had moved on or didn't have kids.

It is true that to buy a house now a lot of people need a second income of some sort coming into the house, but quite often the 2nd earner only needs to work part time. Tradies start work early and finish around 4 or 5, sometimes later in the summer. Office people work 9 - 5, teachers work roughly 8-4-5. Of course if you run your own business you may work longer hours. I work full time as a nurse, but I do this to fund private school fees and my daughter's dancing tuition as she does it everyday just about.

No but then I knew what I was coming back to. Most people accept it is not going to be a glorious lifelong holiday and it is hard to start from scratch again, even if you have funds to buy property. The weather, beaches and lifestyle are all there, but you wont get handed them on a plate.

When my family moved here when I was 10 no one did reccies. You emigrated and that was it, you made the most of your opportunities when you got here. For a start you had to stay 2 years at least or pay the government back your assisted fares.

My hubby came out on a holiday visa when I came back to have my son here, but it took him 2 years to decide that he would emigrate here.

Where I lived in England as a child I had a very good lifestyle, it was a country town with a river, and fields not far off. It was safe to walk around and was a good place to grow up. However we weren't wealthy, had a big old house that needed renovations to modernise it and my father had studied for 3 years to get a masters in education. He wanted to be able to use it and Adelaide gave him a job.

When you went back after your reccie you decided it wasn't for you, but you are obviously still turning it over or you wouldn't be asking questions like this. It is a very big decision to move to another country away from family, friends and security, you just have to look at what your reasons for considering it are or were.

Guest Libby1971

mick

Yes

Yes much better. We both worked full time in UK to make ends meet and we did, jut. Here only one of us needs to work for a better life.

Yes, for us.

Only when I miss my sister.

Shorter hours, better pay and more family time. It's why I came.

I didn't find Oz as fascinating a place to be as my OH but it gave us everything that we wanted, as a family. I didn't have children so I could pay someone else who sees them more than I do. And I didn't want to be the mum who was always tired for children.

No, except that my OH came on holiday 25 years ago and loved it.

If you aren't sure what all the fuss is about, are you still wanting to come? Nothing anyone on here says should be able to change your mind. If you have doubts from the UK, they are going to be massive here especially when you have been on a reccie!!!!

Libby

Libby

Guest leemi1

Hi

One of the main reasons I have asked the questions is because I loved oz but my wife says she is not keen because she feels its like going back in time and with some things it is

Over here we are mortgage free if we move to oz we would have to get a mortgage and with the interest rates as they are we feel that its going back when we are just working to pay off the bills so no time for us like we have in the uk I went for two interviews and got offered both jobs but on less money and more stress than I have now

Like I said i loved the place but the wife didn’t so its not fair for me to say yes we are moving if toni is not keen because I will be the one out all day working and if toni is unable to find a job she is the one stuck in the house all day miserable

mick

Guest dinawayneandkids

hi my names dina we are moving to aus sometime this year really want to go but have very mixed emotions we too are morgage free here and when we move will have to both get jobs to pay for morgage so feel we will be going back but some things are worth the gamble i haven't worked for 2 years due to children and am unsure about going back to work but you just have to put yourself out there it will all work out in the end there are loads of ways to make new friends and keep in touch with old ones dina

The only way you would know if its right for you both is to give it a go. And by that, you have to say be there for 2 years at least. If its not for you, then you can always return. The world is getting smaller all the time. Look at it as a chapter of your life. Nothing ventured nothing gained! You could always rent out your house (so you can return to it if Oz is not for you) and rent in Oz. What have you got to loose!

Guest graandjac

1 do you feel you have a better quality of life in oz........................YES

2 are you better off in oz than you were in the uk......................... Not sure yet

3 do you feel you made the right decision moving to oz................YES

4 do you regret moving to oz.....................................................NO

5 are you working longer hours or fined you have to work ...........Not yet

6 do you feel you have been miss sold oz...................................NO

7 did you do a recce before you went to oz................................YES

mick

Cheers Graham