Advice please

Kerriandcarl

Hi all

we have a few questions which we would like some advice on if possible:

1) once we arrive in adelaide, how easy is it to take out a car on finance or mobile phone contracts etc (if we haven't got jobs at this point) . Can we just show a bank statement showing we have money in the bank or bring over references from the uk. Or will they just refuse until we are earning etc?

2) Does anyone know if there Is a limit on how much cash we can bring through the airports to adelaide?

3) Is it easy enough to sign up to long term rentals? What will help us be accepted?

Thanks- xx

Guest Guest75

Hi Guys.

I doubt if you would be able to get finance until you can show some form of income.

You can bring $10,000 maximum in cash through Australian airports.

It's very easy to sign up for a long term rental - finding the right one is harder!!

There is no limit on the amount of cash you can bring in, only on the amount at which you must declare it. Which is AUD $10,000.

Currency

There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring in or out of Australia. However, you must declare amounts of AUD10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent.

You must disclose any promissory notes, travellers’ cheques, personal cheques, money orders, postal orders or other bearer negotiable instruments, regardless of value, if requested by one of our officers or a police officer.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4351.asp#items

I agree with Tyke on the car finance. Without work, I doubt you'll secure it.

Consider buying a cheaper car as a run around for the early months and pay cash for it? Look after it and sell it on when the time comes and you can get finance or buy something better. Or spend a mid range amount cash wise if you have it and get something that will last a few years. That's the option we went for and got a low mileage FSH car for $6,000. Was about 7/8 years old at the time but it was very well looked after and still is. The only thing is we've racked up almost as much mileage in it since we've been here than it did in all its years before that! It just ticked over 100K. But now we've bought a house and are not driving all over house hunting every weekend or checking our areas and other delights our mileage is dropping again. Oh and we took a few longish road trips in it so that clocked up a fair bit.

We had to get pay as you go mobiles as we couldn't get contract ones so if you have decent mobiles in the uk it's worth getting them unlocked and bring them over so you can just buy a sim.

My husband applied for a contract after a couple of months and got one, I haven't bothered to apply for one yet.

We also bought our car and the work van with cash - we went with the option that we paid enough for them for them to last a few years but we asked about how long you'd have to be here working to get finance and I think they said ideally about 6 months - but different garages may have different timescales and I guess it depends how expensive a car you're thinking of.

You can get a bank account set up here before you arrive, transfer money and then you just have to go in to activate the account once you arrive - which is quick and easy. We did this and so just brought a £1000 or so in cash.

xxx

For rentals it may help to sort out your 100 points of id as soon as possible.

Bank cards, Medicare and drivers licence all count towards the 100 points.

It can all be sorted within a few hours as the Service SA and Medicare offices are nearby.

You should have everything done within a few hours.

You can also apply for your tax file number online at http://www.ato.gov.au

If you are selling your house and will have equity I would suggest opening a bank account with the NAB, ANZ or Comm Bank whilst in the UK. You can then transfer your money to that account using MoneyCorp. Once the account is setup you can arrange to pick up your cards with your personal advisor once you are in Oz.