2 Weeks in (Well nearly)....... My thoughts

richard300

Ok, so having survived the long and arduous journey - with two young children and no sleep (not even a nap) for 49 hours (thank god for the rooftop pool @ Singapore Airport)..... I awoke on the 2nd April with excitement and a list of things I wanted to do before the Easter weekend kicked in.

We had already been to the Collonades on our 1st day here (we are based in Christies Beach) and activated our bank Accounts and had the bank fill in our green forms (for drivers licences) ....... Anyway, without making this into a 'diary' type post, we were able to enjoy the Easter weekend, having purchased a car (Holden Berlina) sorted our Medicare and our drivers licences.

The weekend was spent exploring the local area (christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Seaford etc) on the Friday we went to Glenelg - weather was perfect and it's a beautiful place. on the Sunday (it was raining) we went to a farmers market inland (Meadows) which was nice, and a great drive through the countryside!

The remainder of our time has been equally productive, with our Daughter enrolled in School, our Son enrolled in Kindy (and done a morning session before they broke for the holidays) plenty of Job hunting and leads generated for work etc

We've enjoyed plenty of leasure time too - we bought new bikes and I've been on daily cycle rides along the coast, everyday we've been to the beach for a walk or a paddle (i even had a swim @ Port Noarlunga two days ago). Went to a really great evening @ Christies Beach Sailing Club yesterday (Sunday) to watch a band called 'The mighty Night Owls'...... That was really good and I even has a few Corona's (I don't usually drink).

We are staying at one Tamara's fully furnished homes (Christies cottage) for our first 3 months - I'd really recommend this to anyone planning their journey to the area! Being able to take a (cold) dip in the pool and BBQ dinner and breakfast several times has been a bonus.

There are great facilities close to the beaches of Christies Beach and Port Noarlunga and I definitely thingk we will stay close to the beach (we lived opposite the beach back in the UK) in either Christies or (ideally) Port Noarlunga......

So far, everything has exceeded expectation - we have yet to start work, have the kids going to school/Kindie etc, but I'm looking forward to all that real world stuff and some structure and order to my days/weeks.

One thing I will mention is just how friendly everyone has been.... for example. On our second day here I had to drop our hire car at Morphett Vale. I worked out it was a simple drive and the route looked like it would be serviced by public transport for the journey home - It was, but I found myself having to run for the bus (which I missed) this was witnessed by a passer by walking their dog, who asked "where you heading to? I see you missed your bus" I replied "Christies Beach, just off Beach Road" which, to my surprise, they responded with "Come with me, I'll drop the dog off and give you a lift home"

Amazing!!!!

Edited by richard300

Glad you are settling in nicely, you might want to change the location in your profile though as it still says Worthing!

lots of people like it down there, great if you don't have to commute to the city. Alas too far out for us although the house prices are tempting compared to the Eastern Suburbs close to the city!

Location updated :wink:

There is every chance I might wind up commuting to the city, but we just can't afford to buy/rent the type of propery we would want, with close proximity to the beach in those suburbs - I guess it's the trade off.

Ideall location would be Brighton I think, in a perfect world.... But I do really like Port Noarlunga and the Westerly parts of Christies Beach

Ok, so having survived the long and arduous journey - with two young children and no sleep (not even a nap) for 49 hours (thank god for the rooftop pool @ Singapore Airport)..... I awoke on the 2nd April with excitement and a list of things I wanted to do before the Easter weekend kicked in.

We had already been to the Collonades on our 1st day here (we are based in Christies Beach) and activated our bank Accounts and had the bank fill in our green forms (for drivers licences) ....... Anyway, without making this into a 'diary' type post, we were able to enjoy the Easter weekend, having purchased a car (Holden Berlina) sorted our Medicare and our drivers licences.

The weekend was spent exploring the local area (christies Beach, Port Noarlunga, Seaford etc) on the Friday we went to Glenelg - weather was perfect and it's a beautiful place. on the Sunday (it was raining) we went to a farmers market inland (Meadows) which was nice, and a great drive through the countryside!

The remainder of our time has been equally productive, with our Daughter enrolled in School, our Son enrolled in Kindy (and done a morning session before they broke for the holidays) plenty of Job hunting and leads generated for work etc

We've enjoyed plenty of leasure time too - we bought new bikes and I've been on daily cycle rides along the coast, everyday we've been to the beach for a walk or a paddle (i even had a swim @ Port Noarlunga two days ago). Went to a really great evening @ Christies Beach Sailing Club yesterday (Sunday) to watch a band called 'The mighty Night Owls'...... That was really good and I even has a few Corona's (I don't usually drink).

We are staying at one Tamara's fully furnished homes (Christies cottage) for our first 3 months - I'd really recommend this to anyone planning their journey to the area! Being able to take a (cold) dip in the pool and BBQ dinner and breakfast several times has been a bonus.

There are great facilities close to the beaches of Christies Beach and Port Noarlunga and I definitely thingk we will stay close to the beach (we lived opposite the beach back in the UK) in either Christies or (ideally) Port Noarlunga......

So far, everything has exceeded expectation - we have yet to start work, have the kids going to school/Kindie etc, but I'm looking forward to all that real world stuff and some structure and order to my days/weeks.

One thing I will mention is just how friendly everyone has been.... for example. On our second day here I had to drop our hire car at Morphett Vale. I worked out it was a simple drive and the route looked like it would be serviced by public transport for the journey home - It was, but I found myself having to run for the bus (which I missed) this was witnessed by a passer by walking their dog, who asked "where you heading to? I see you missed your bus" I replied "Christies Beach, just off Beach Road" which, to my surprise, they responded with "Come with me, I'll drop the dog off and give you a lift home"

Amazing!!!!

Brilliant!:smile:

So pleased that you are enjoying the local area and the cottage. It is the right side of Beach road isn't it! I wasn't telling fibs when I said everything is on your doorstep!

We called around a couple of times but have missed you. pool was looking great..thank you!

Am away for a few days with the grandkids but if you need anything when I get back just give me a shout. Two local places that do good food at reasonable prices (they have specials every day) are Jimmy Deans which is at the Panthers footy club...and at the Colonnades Tavern. Look out for events at the local RSL too.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks folks.... apologies for the late response.

Still very much enjoying things - Hoping that a couple of job leads come to something and looking forward to the kids starting school and Kindy on the 27th!!

Tamara, you were absolutely right, the cottage is an excellent place to be based whilst finding our feet! As for the pool - I like getting up in the morning and giving it a clean as part of a daily routine and its being used (almost) daily - The trick is to jump in, catch my breath and once numb its really very nice :-) I bet its a dream on a 40+ degree day, though!!

Been doing a little more exploring of the area, both local and a little further a field, with Hahndorf being a lovely little place and Clelands Wildlife Park was a great experience.

Thanks folks.... apologies for the late response.

Still very much enjoying things - Hoping that a couple of job leads come to something and looking forward to the kids starting school and Kindy on the 27th!!

Tamara, you were absolutely right, the cottage is an excellent place to be based whilst finding our feet! As for the pool - I like getting up in the morning and giving it a clean as part of a daily routine and its being used (almost) daily - The trick is to jump in, catch my breath and once numb its really very nice :-) I bet its a dream on a 40+ degree day, though!!

Been doing a little more exploring of the area, both local and a little further a field, with Hahndorf being a lovely little place and Clelands Wildlife Park was a great experience.

Great Richard...thanks!

If you think it's chilly now just wait till the middle of winter!:biggrin:

3539958750.jpg

Well, Jean/James, If your experience is anything like ours - you will find it's the best decision you ever made. And starting off in one of these fully furnished properties is definitely the thing to do. I nearly made a rod for my own back by coming over strait into an unfurnished long term rental..... But thankfully i listened to the voice of the masses!!

We are here (i think) until the 27th June and would be more than happy to say hello and offer any advice that we may have. As you are probably aware - This site is a great resource for finding answers to questions. We wouldn't have been able to do things anywhere near as efficiently as we have done, if were not for the folk on this site!

Well, Jean/James, If your experience is anything like ours - you will find it's the best decision you ever made. And starting off in one of these fully furnished properties is definitely the thing to do. I nearly made a rod for my own back by coming over strait into an unfurnished long term rental..... But thankfully i listened to the voice of the masses!!

We are here (i think) until the 27th June and would be more than happy to say hello and offer any advice that we may have. As you are probably aware - This site is a great resource for finding answers to questions. We wouldn't have been able to do things anywhere near as efficiently as we have done, if were not for the folk on this site!

Pleased that you made the right decision mate. Sounds like another positive Pom whos going to make it work here. It does make a hell of a difference when you uproot your whole family. If you get feel settled and not have to stress for a few weeks it gives you a good platform to explore and get stuff done. Please let us know how you get along. All the best.