Scottish butcher looking for work

navybob

Hi I'm a 45yr old Scottish butcher looking for employment in Australia within meat industry have experience of retail and commercial both at management level currently have own butchers, have young family looking to give them different life,

Have nvq and haccp, been at it for 26yrs can make small goods, speed bone, etc if any one can help drop me a line cheers

Hello and welcome to the forum :) You won't have access to the PM system for a little while as new accounts dont kick in with these for a few posts.

I'm figuring you are not in Aus at present and don't have a visa? So looking for sponsorship? Have you checked to see if your profession/trade is on the current list?

Hi there...welcome!

The big supermarket chains (Coles, Woolworths) are always looking for butchers but that probably wouldn't be a position that you would like too much..production line butchery! It could maybe get you in though. There are many small independent butchers throughout the city and that may be more to your liking. Barossa Fine Foods and Standhope have different outlets throughout the city. There are plenty of butchers around that do smallgoods.

As mentioned above a bit of investigation as to visa and also whether it would be necessary to do a short TAFE course.

My son has 1 more year to go with his butchery apprenticeship!

I fully understand your desire for a change. If the visa conditions work out it would be a great idea to have a reccie here...a holiday and an opportunity to explore options.

Best of luck...

Welcome to the forum. If you don't have one yet your first step would be to look to see if you were eligable for a visa. Given your age you would need to get on with this pretty quickly as once you hit 50 it's almost impossible to get a visa unless you have an Australian partner. There are a number of different visas and I don't really know much about any of them but I would avoid the 457 as this is a temporary work visa that gives you the right to work in Australia for 4 years and does not automatically lead to permanent residency.

One of our neighbours is a butcher- he seems to have had a fairly tough time of it in the year we've been here, having twice had to look for a new job as he's been casual and his hours have been dropped and he just wouldn't have been earning enough. He has found work both times within a couple of weeks but again on a casual basis. He literally drove round to every butcher with his cv and spoke to the guys in the shop.

The real money is owning your own place. Despite the supermarkets and bigger butchery chains there are still opportunities. A mate of mine has a shop and they supply goods to loads of places. Age is against you mate. Find out if you qualify and get the application in as soon as pos.