New member.. Just to say Hi

ARose

Hi All,

I'm a new member to this forum.

I'm over here on a Working Holiday visa to be with family. 4 weeks in and I'm enjoying it so far, hoping to make it a permanent move.

I'm a qualified accountant from the UK and just starting the job search, although I think this could take a while. Any advice would be appreciated.

My only advice is to be patient.

That may be very good advice.

Welcome!

If you are enjoying your time here at this time of year you will love the warmer weather.

You are in a great part of the world but there's plenty to see and do throughout the city.

I would use your time here to try and network and meet people. A job would likely come through this route from someone in that field opening a door....

Hi, Ive recently moved to Adelaide from the UK too. I agree with the 'be patient' advice. Ive been searching for a job for 6 weeks now and havent found anything...yet. Trying not to let it get to me and making the most of city whilst I can. Good luck with the job search and have fun. Em

On a WHV it may be harder to secure employment in your chosen line of work. Mainly as a WHV is more intended for casual work, short term (the longest with one employer is 6 months) and not permanent. Yes some do manage to secure a job that leads to sponsorship but the WHV will have its limits for many. Its a short term visa, to work and travel in Aus.

I'm not sure if your profession is on the list, quite possibly, in which case you could be sponsored potentially, but that may not be plain sailing. If its not on the list you may be thwarted in trying to secure a different visa here on shore.

If I were you, I'd consider doing your 3 months regional work (all of SA is classed as regional iirc but you need to do specific types of work to meet the other requirements) and getting it in asap to enable you to have your second year WHV if you need/want it. At least you'll have gotten it out the way, will have had a bit of work and hopefully gotten to make a few friends and all that with it. Much of the seasonal fruit picking work has passed but there will hopefully be other work options to meet the requirements. Of course, apply for other jobs alongside this sort of work and hopefully one of those will come good for you, but keep in mind if you want the extra time here or think you'll need it to get on to a different visa, I'd try to do the regional if you can.

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I was thinking of trying to get the second year visa, but I've just been offered some contract work after sending my CV to some local firms which will hopefully turn into a permanent job. I just need to get working on a permanent visa! I'm on the skilled list, so hopefully it will all work out ok.