Moving from Brisbane to Adelaide

SpongeBob

Hi there,

What aspect of the weather would you be wanting to get away from? Adelaide has extremes in summer and it does get quite cold in winter (3 degrees where I live occasionally).

What I would like is to spend the summers in Adelaide and the winters in Queensland.

I have been to Melbourne many times (take a brolly!) but not in winter and It's cooler there than Adelaide. I do get many interstate families stay with me. I have a family from Perth who are moving here next month. It's all job related though and not about the weather. Am curious about Brisbane weather?

It will be interesting to see other peoples comments /viewpoint.

Hi SpongeBob,

I've lived in both Brisi and Adelaide and I can honestly say that I prefer Brisi in the 'winter' as Adelaide is blinkin' freezing then!! ha ha

Having said that, I really love Adelaide the rest of the time but the summer can get too hot at times (40 degrees plus) and at those times I find the humidity of Brisi much more bearable (believe it or not).

As anyone moved from another state to Adelaide?

We are trying to escape the weather here in Brissy and think Melbourne or Adelaide would be a better option.

No we did it the other way round, packed the house here and drove over to Qld intending to stay. We left our house contents in Adelaide in a storage container, which could be shipped interstate if required. After 2 weeks I said to the OH, that container is staying exactly where it is, after 6 weeks we were on our way back to Adelaide. Why? At that point, we were still searching for the dream, that we now know doesn't exist. Various friends of ours have moved around a fair bit also, one did move Brisbane - Gold Coast - Adelaide, but didn't like it, so moved onto Sydney. It's all just like one giant game of musical chairs really, you just have to hope you end up with the prize you were after. Maybe if you post direct questions, it'll allow people to voice their comparisons. Good luck if you go for it.

No we did it the other way round, packed the house here and drove over to Qld intending to stay. We left our house contents in Adelaide in a storage container, which could be shipped interstate if required. After 2 weeks I said to the OH, that container is staying exactly where it is, after 6 weeks we were on our way back to Adelaide. Why? At that point, we were still searching for the dream, that we now know doesn't exist. Various friends of ours have moved around a fair bit also, one did move Brisbane - Gold Coast - Adelaide, but didn't like it, so moved onto Sydney. It's all just like one giant game of musical chairs really, you just have to hope you end up with the prize you were after. Maybe if you post direct questions, it'll allow people to voice their comparisons. Good luck if you go for it.

OMG you really have seen plenty of the country.

And after all your travels does Adelaide suit you more than the rest of the places? I still need to reply to your Adelaide / Perth thread! Of all the places that i've visited (a lot different than living there for a while) I prefer Adelaide, but my OH prefers Perth. I have friends who moved here from West Yorkshire and have been here for nearly 2 years. They recently took their son to Sydney for his birthday but their comments upon return were that they wouldn't have settled in Australia if Sydney had been their arrival city. Strange isn't it. I guess different places for different people.

OMG you really have seen plenty of the country.

And after all your travels does Adelaide suit you more than the rest of the places? I still need to reply to your Adelaide / Perth thread! Of all the places that i've visited (a lot different than living there for a while) I prefer Adelaide, but my OH prefers Perth. I have friends who moved here from West Yorkshire and have been here for nearly 2 years. They recently took their son to Sydney for his birthday but their comments upon return were that they wouldn't have settled in Australia if Sydney had been their arrival city. Strange isn't it. I guess different places for different people.

Hey Tamara, yes we have been out and about a fair bit, it's all about ticking off the bucket list for us, although we just keep adding to it, lol. If your looking for sound financial planning for the future, give us a wide berth, only premature death or the lottery can save us now. On balance, every place has merit and demerit points. We've always felt very comfortable in Adelaide, lets face it even if you walk round in the nude with an inflatable pink elephant under your arm, you'll fit in here. As to other cities such as Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, we've loved them all as a tourist, but had we landed in them straight from the UK we'd be back in UK now. Perth we liked, but we must be getting older, more recce visits needed for that one.

In answer to your question about Adelaide suiting us more than other places, yes it's a million miles from the dream, whatever that was, but we do fit in nicely. After all our travels, we've been in a reflective mood recently and have decided to reinvent our reasons for being here. Sometimes the answers are closer than you first think. If our new idea goes down faster than a lead balloon full of bricks, stuff it we'll try Perth.

Edited by keldaz

• 2 weeks later...
So if I walk round Adelaide doing the elephant trick I will fit in haha.

I don't like the heat or humidity

If you walk around dressed as superman you will fit in. There's a bloke who walks around the local centre dressed as the superhero. He greets everyone. He asked us how we were the other day and my OH said he was ok but would be better if he had his super powers. That's the first time I have ever heard superman swear!

Can I ask what you mean when you say it's a million times from the dream Keldaz? Just curious! We are arriving in Adelaide on a 189 visa in October!! Getting so close now....

Hey Joe and Carrie, of course you can ask, my comment 'it's a million miles from the dream' simply means that Australia has not met our own personal expectations. I could go onto write a huge page of drivel to explain why, but then you come across as a moaner, and truthfully we've accepted reality and it's more of a question of what's next.

October is a great time of year to arrive in Adelaide. All the Best:smile:

Had a little think, must need some mad pills, we love Australia, moving here has still been the best thing ever, it's the Australian cities that haven't lived up to expectation. And really that's not an awful surprise as we're not city people, and by the look of things not that bright. All better now:biggrin: