Hello and Farewell!

Shell

Hi Everyone

I've been lurking around the forum for years. I'd like to thank all for the valuable information you share.

We were granted our 176 visa in 2012 but only made the move from South Africa at the end of Jan 2015. The move went smoothly, we have settled in Mt Barker and everyone we meet have been very friendly and helpful. Here's the problem, work, for hubby (mech engineer) it's been impossible to find work in South Australia. So we thought no problem we'll apply out of state. Wrong! We've been told by numerous recruitment agencies that if we don't live in the state we won't be considered for the job. There's just too many unemployed engineers in Australia, the markets flooded! But all's not lost, hubby was contacted through LinkedIn about a job in the USA. Flew out for the interview, got the job. Just waiting for the visa's and will be leaving the beginning of July.

So we're off on our next adventure. All the best to all who are still going to be making the move we have been made to feel very welcome. But depending on what profession you are in work could be hard to find!

We have some things to sell. All bought new in Feb - car, fridge, wash machine. I'll post it later if anyone is interested.

Many Thanks

Shell

Good luck in the US - as the wife of another Mechanical Engineer, I feel your pain about South Australia, but have heard lots of good things about how things are taking off in the US so hopefully it will work out a lot better for you there. Keep in touch if you have the time, it would be interesting to hear your views about things over there (in case it comes to that for us too when my husband's current short term contract expires!)

Good luck with your move. I'm glad you finally decided to join and post, even if it was just to say hi and bye :) Its always good to hear other peoples experiences and how they found things. I'm glad you enjoyed Mt Barker and the area. The job front can be a real struggle and it sounds like the line of work your husband is in is perhaps not a good one to be job hunting in round here.

I wish you well in your next adventure. The US is vast and of course, where you end up may be vastly different to here. One major thing to ensure when you move there is to get good medical insurance. Let us know how you get on and who knows, you may be back in Aus at some point to live :)

Like Lazy Cow, I'd be interested in items you have to sell but if its a dryer, she has dibs before me :cute:

Thanks Snifter. We're heading to California, near San Francisco. I believe the company has a good medical plan, one thing less to worry about! I'll let you know what happens.

Boy what a great area, absolutely loads of things to see and do, surfing and snow skiing in the same day, lake Tahoe summer and winter, Yosemite the same, coastal road trips, Hearse castle, Napa and Samona wine areas, the 49er gold area's and so on & on & on. We were there for a couple of weeks last October, no way long enough, we need to live there to do it all.

Best wishes to you in your new venture/life.

Keith.

PS earthquakes come free too!

Thanks Keith.

I'm originally from Leeds. Lived in Barwick-in-elmet. Then Garforth, until folks decided we could have a better future in South Africa. Still not sure how they came to that conclusion!

Must admit lots to do in Northern California. Can't wait to see Yosemite. Kids are a bit disappointed Disneyland is a 6.5 hour road trip.

Lets hope the earthquakes aren't too bad!!

Thanks Keith.

I'm originally from Leeds. Lived in Barwick-in-elmet. Then Garforth, until folks decided we could have a better future in South Africa. Still not sure how they came to that conclusion!

Must admit lots to do in Northern California. Can't wait to see Yosemite. Kids are a bit disappointed Disneyland is a 6.5 hour road trip.

Lets hope the earthquakes aren't too bad!!

I worked in South Africa for a couple of years and actually met my wife to be in Botswana (she is a Wiltshire girl), both countries and my wife are beautiful.

Disney would only be a one time visit anyway. A lot of the natural things need to be seen in each season, like Yosemite, when the waterfalls are flowing in the spring, and in the summer when the high Tioga pass road is open, autumn too, so plenty within a couple of hours. Also the ghost towns and just into Nevada for the cowboy areas of Bonanza and High Chaparral fame along with silver city.

I worked in South Africa for a couple of years and actually met my wife to be in Botswana (she is a Wiltshire girl), both countries and my wife are beautiful.

Disney would only be a one time visit anyway. A lot of the natural things need to be seen in each season, like Yosemite, when the waterfalls are flowing in the spring, and in the summer when the high Tioga pass road is open, autumn too, so plenty within a couple of hours. Also the ghost towns and just into Nevada for the cowboy areas of Bonanza and High Chaparral fame along with silver city.

Sorry to butt in!

What a small world.

Where did you work in South Africa? We lived in Cape Town for many years.

Shell's story sounds so familiar. My OH's family emigrated there from Batley (near Leeds!) when he was a teenager. We met in a pub in Newlands near the rugby ground.

There are plenty of PIA members with South African links..especialy due to the exodus from that troubled land.

Sorry to butt in!

What a small world.

Where did you work in South Africa? We lived in Cape Town for many years.

Shell's story sounds so familiar. My OH's family emigrated there from Batley (near Leeds!) when he was a teenager. We met in a pub in Newlands near the rugby ground.

There are plenty of PIA members with South African links..especialy due to the exodus from that troubled land.

OK to but in we are used to you! Was mainly in Botswana, but Natal in South Africa near a place called Vryheid. I have done a round trip of South Africa, from Botswana across to the Fish river Canyon in SW Africa, down the coast to Cape Town (Christmas day there) up the Garden route to Durban, across to Pretoria then back to Gaborone. Also travelled Rhodesia a bit too, Victoria falls, Kariba dam, Wanke game reserve, all when they were free to enter.

Small world. better not say much more or we could all be related!!!

It really is a small world!

In South Africa we started off in Benoni, then Hout Bay, before finally settling in Durban. I even stayed for a few months in Vryheid!

I know Hout Bay really well. Used to go to the Hout Bay hotel for saturday jazz sessions! I lived just over Constantia Nek in a suburb called Bergvliet, just below Constantia.

OMG, Benoni and Vryheid!! A real boere meisie!:smile: