Teachers relocating

Emma

Hi all!

We've just moved to Adelaide from the UK and are loving it! We're currently renting in Craigburn Farm near the hills and can't believe how beautiful it is up here. Both my husband and I are primary school teachers and have just completed the rather long winded Registration process!! We're now on the look out for relief teaching jobs which we are finding rather hard to find! Would love any advice on the best way to proceed, we've just joined 2 cluster schemes and have dropped our resumes into schools in the area. It all seems a little daunting at the moment!

Hello and welcome.

Its probably a tough time of year to be searching for relief work tbh. Most schools will have their regular go to teachers, built up over the course of the school year so far and so if a teacher needs some cover, they'll usually go to the people they know and have had fill in for them in the past. I know our school has a pile of supply teachers on file, its like a door stop its so thick. I think they tend to use the same people over and over who they know and are familiar with. My childs teacher gets the same lady in each time to cover when she is off and only once this year can I think there has been someone different.

I'd broaden your scope with the area. Craigburn Farm gives you lots of options for schools within a 20-30 minute drive so I'd perhaps expand out a bit. Venture down the hill to the flat metro area, across into Belair and over that way and also toward Hallet Cove, Trott Park and so on.

I'm not sure how the permanent or contract posts are going for next year. You may have missed those. If so, just work on getting your CV out to as many schools as possible and following up on them where you can.

Its a lovely area. Glad you are liking it so far. We live around the same area and love it up here.

Hi, thanks for the reply. We did think it's probably the time of year that's a problem. We're open to traveling a bit so hopefully we'll get a break soon! Just a bit worrying at the start. We don't regret however moving here. Lots of space, lovely weather and lots to do compared with the suburbs of London!

Hi, I am a relief teacher too :-) I used to teach at a variety of schools, but now it is just one or two, as you get known to the school after a while!

i know that Aberfoyle Hub Primary School on Jeanette Crs is desperately looking for casuals, not far from where u are at all. Def go and put your details in with them. Good Luck!

• 2 months later...