Need Help, Please!

akshay7

Hello All! First, I would like to thank all of you for your support and time. I have been granted PR on 10 December 2015 (189 visa). The letter says that I have been granted restricted-free entry for 5 years. My last date to enter Australia is in August 2016.

My question is when this 5 year period will start, the day I have been granted visa or the date I will enter Australia. I have not been to Australia before.

Please answer my question. All your time and suggestions are really appreciated.

Sincerely.

Congratulations on the visa!

According to the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection:

"If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is the date of your first arrival in Australia on this visa."

Here is the link to the official site: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/How-to-apply/Migrant-with-permanent-residence

I was under the impression it was from

the date the visa was issued.

Agree with Blossom. The length of the travel part of your visa, ie the five years referred to above, is from the date of your visa grant. Your permanent residency starts when you first enter Australia but this is not what the OP asked.

Agree with Blossom. The length of the travel part of your visa, ie the five years referred to above, is from the date of your visa grant. Your permanent residency starts when you first enter Australia but this is not what the OP asked.

Well picked up. I didn't notice in my heat addled brain that the quote was about when pr started, not the travel part.

The visa grant should have a must enter before date and a must not enter after date. The first is the validation date usually before your medical or police check expires ( normally they are valid for one year). The second is usually 5 years from the visa grant date,if you need to enter or re enter Australia after this date you will need either a resident return visa or citizenship, even if you just leave for a holiday.