Older Mums!!!

Guest texas

Guest texas

Hi there,

I am fairly new to this!!! We have got our visas and we will be moving out to Adelaide in October with our (then 10 yr old son). I am a very much older mum (47), so siblings are out of the question!!! I am always arranging social visits here for my son as he is an only (very sociable) child. Are there any older mums out there in a similar situation??? A lot of my friends here are some ten years younger!! I have recently left my job of five years at an infant school, where I worked in the office and in the classroom. I am on the PTA at my sons' junior school, secretary for the Scouts etc etc..... I like to get involved and make friends.

My son loves LEGO, plays the keyboard, goes to drama class and is very artistic!!! He is not really into football or sports - only swimming and cycling. We are hoping to get him into tennis when we get there. We will be initially living in Glenelg for the first three months and Alfie will attend one of the nearby schools, we have not decided which yet. We are looking at Glenelg Primary, St Leonards and Brighton Primary. Possibly Glenelg Grammar, but we do not know where we are going to be living ultimately, so it will be difficult, as he may have to change school and he never has before!!

Is there anyone in a similar situation or already living out there and perhaps has a child attending one of these schools.

Any feedback would be fantastic!! We do have some relatives living in Glenelg and Marion, however they are older! Their children are even older than us!!!!

I have mixed feelings most days and wonder why I am leaving my lovely friends, the children at school, my lovely garden etc etc..... but it will be an adventure and hopefully I will make lots of new friends. My main concern is that my son is happy and settles. I think if he had siblings it would be easier.

Anyway, thanks for reading this. Look forward to hearing from someone.........

xx

Guest Missbabz

Hi Texas

Glad you joined PIA, I think you will find it very useful and will make lots of friends before you go to Adelaide and then when you arrive.

Kevin and I are flying tomorrow and will be in touch when we arrive in Adelaide.

Hope you find this site useful to you and very informative.

Guest donna T

Please don;t call yourself an older Mum - I will be 50 by the time Izzy is 10:arghh::biglaugh:

Anyway - welcome to PIA and I wish you all the best

Donna xx

Guest Guest75
Please don;t call yourself an older Mum - I will be 50 by the time Izzy is 10:arghh::biglaugh:

Anyway - welcome to PIA and I wish you all the best

Donna xx

That means you are.............. he says counting his fingers:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I agree with Donna! She's only a few months older than me (although I like to think she LOOKS much older...)!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Anyway, welcome to PIA, my children are much younger than your son but please feel free to get in touch once you're here. There are quite a few members on here with children around your son's age and I'm sure they'll reply to your thread soon.

Guest donna T
I agree with Donna! She's only a few months older than me (although I like to think she LOOKS much older...)!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

CHEEKY MONKEY:p

Donna x

Guest texas

Thanks guys, yes its' me!!!

I am finally on here!! Hope you have a safe and comfortable journey tommorrow and see you soon.

Love Carole, Edge & Alfie

Guest stufi1997

Hi Carole, Welcome, Our sons sound very similar, Aaron is 9 and not very sporty, although he likes the idea of it sometimes...The kids in his school all seem quite into football and things but he's managing to make friends with much more ease than us. We are in Victor Harbor at the moment but you never know if things change or you find yourselves down here for a visit you'll be very welcome. Hope it all goes smoothly, Fiona

Guest texas

HI Donna and thanks,

It was a little bit 'tongue in cheek' my older mums thread!! but it is nice to know I am not going to be the oldest!!!!!! Only joking! Nice to hear from you. We like the look of Hallett Cove, though our friends who live in Flagstaff Hill lived there intially and said it is very hilly!!!! I like the look of the school there, the principle Emailed me and he is very friendly and informative, we might take a look when we get there! I gather you have settled in very well and love it there?

We moved from the north to the south of england 18 years ago and that was hard leaving all my friends, and now I have made a whole new life here, I am leaving again to start a fresh somewhere else!!! Still, keeps me on my toes!!! My son wants me to have a baby so he can have a brother or sister - he is doing sex edcuation at school this week and wants me to use up the rest of my eggs!!! I explained that I probably haven't got many left now!!!!!

I do feel for him sometimes though, it is hard to explain to a nine year old that it wasn't from lack of trying to have a baby it took six years just to have him!!

Anyway, would be lovely to keep in touch, I am scared and excited at the moment, but I cannot convey this to Alfie, as I don't want to put him off, he is really excited (although scared the plane will crash) He watches too much National Geographic - seconds from disaster!!!! Either that or he has picked up on my fear of flying!!! I am just going to get valium!!

Hopefully speak soon.

Love Carole

Guest texas

Thanks Liz,

Would be nice to keep in touch, I have replied to Donna too and it is great to know there are even older mums than me around!!! Only joking Donna!! Joking aside, I think this site is a godsend for worriers like me!!!

I have loadsa friends here and it is going to be hard to leave them behind, but I know that with patience, time and effort, I will make new friends. Not just 'old' friends!!!

Alfie, my son is really looking forward to coming out, so even when I have doubting days, I have to remain outwardly positive for him.

Some days I am excited beyond normal and other days I am po***g myself!!

Still I suppose you have already been through all this?

Anyway, love to keep in touch, thanks for the response.

Love Carole

Guest texas

HI Stu & Fiona,

You lucky people!!! We have seen a video of Victor Harbour and it looks lovely. My husband has a job at ASC at Port Adelaide so unfortunately, we cannot live that far out. However, we do intend go out to Victor Harbour at weekends, especially in the summer as we have heard that it is a lot cooler there than the city!!! We will definiely keep in touch, Aaron sounds lovely and it would be great to meet up.

Love Carole, Edge & Alfie

Guest lisaharty

Hi i have just moved here as a single older mum with an 8 year old son who LOVES lego and does not like soccer, we are in west beach and my son has just started at St peters woodlands in glenelg, and it a lovely kind happy school. He is missing all his friends in uk but each day he gets bit happier and now skips into school, would be great to meet up, so the boys could play.

let me know

lisa and Joseph:)

Guest texas

Hi Lisa,

Joseph sounds lovely!! We will be out there hopefully by the 10th October, I know it is a long way off, but it will fly by. Is St Peters' the grammar school at Glenelg? I think I have looked at that one on the internet and it does look lovely. Our problem is that although we are going to be living in Glenelg initially, we may not be able to afford to buy there. I hope that Alfie doesn't have to change school twice, as he has never changed school ever!!! Are you working? It would be lovely to meet up and if Joseph wants to speak to Alfie via pomsinadelaide on the kids section, Alfie has already put a couple of threads on. He speaks a lot about his lego collection!!!!!

West Beach looks a nice area too, does it take you long to get to St Peters from West Beach? I think there is a cycle path from West Beach? looking at the map? Sorry about all the questions!!!! Anyway, nice to hear from you and yes, definitely would like to meet, please keep in touch.

Kind regards,

Carole. Edge & Alfie