Hello all! (im a nurse gone mad by the NHS)

Guest agonyjohn

Guest agonyjohn

hi all just wanted to say hi. . . im 22 soon to turn 23 and on the move to adelaide hate the NHS to death and found love over there a year ago so am joinin them to lead a new life!

did you all find the move easy intergrating and finding new friends? i know the streets are not paved with gold like london but surely its better over there than here! i mean im sick of runin ragid on a ward with 15 patients to myself!

:)

Guest Ellie

Hi,

I'm not a Nurse and I'm not out there yet but I know where you are coming from when you say you are run ragged. I'm hoping it will be a better life too as I feel we are just existing here, it's all work and no play. However now there is this massive slump in the building trade we are even struggling to exist too! Just want to say I hope it all goes well for you. Your are young and I'm sure you will make friends easily. I think you will also get far more respect as a Nurse than you will here and be paid the salary you deserve.

Guest kiltedscot

been here in Adelaide with the family for 5 months now, Wife works in Flinders Hospital and loving it. Gets lots of support and has 4 patients a shift to look after. I think the basic wage is around $45000

Guest happy feet

Welcome to PIA.

There are many nurses on this site (myself included) who i'm sure feel the same as you.. Your young and i'm sure will make a good life for yourself in Adelaide. Good luck with your journey....

Cara

Guest sassy

hey agonyjohn i sooo hear you. i too am fed up with the NHS. ive been nursing now for 13yrs!!!! an work on a busy medical ward with 17 patients to look after. am hopefully heading to adelaide asap!!!! with a bit of luck we will make it there....good luck to you in your quest for sanity on the other side of the world i cant wait....

Hi My Name Is Sue Been A Nurse For 32 Years And I Consider This My Last Chance To Move To Oz, Visa Granted Job In Flinders Private On Itu Desparate To Move And Also Scared To Make That Final Leap Into The Unknown. Kids Do Not Want To Go But They Will Have Their Own Lives Soon, Cannot Sell House Letting Agents Have Been Around Today But I Keep Thinking Of All The Problems That May Occur If We Rent Our House Also We Will Not Have Much Money To Start Uo In Oz. I Do Not Want To Borrow Against My Mortgage But I Will Have To I Have Promised Kids That We Will Have The Dream Life In Oz, House Swimming Pool Good Cars Great Jobs............hope They Will Not Be Disappointed...........sue

Guest Django

Hi AJ and welcome to PIA. Looks like we will have to book flights and get over there before all the jobs get filled up. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Good luck with your visa and stuff

Pete

Guest alan smallman

Hi

I too am a nurse (I share 28 patients along with another trained, and an HCSW). I can often find myself on my todd in terms of trained staff help, and I've had enough. My wife works in theatres, and she's had enough. Got back from our reccie to find life-size cardboard figures (which put the wind up you on anight-shift when you come out of the loo) standing at the entrance to our ward(s) with their left hand held up in the air, asking people to wash their hands before entering the ward. you might be able to guess where this is going but...................................................the message in the microphone was changed (?to a wolfwhistle and/or giggling) and four fifths of the were removed which gives the impression that the 'nurse' is now making rude suggestions to anyone walking by. Which bright spark decided to waste money and time on these inventions? Of course, staff have received the blame!! I'm on nights permanently as I can't stand the hassle you get on days anymore. Trouble is, I'm out of the loop in terms of training opportunities course etc, and I've had enough. Just want to get back on days and have a career once more. we've both got a job at Memorial Hospital - they are a really friendly bunch of people, but like a lot of others, we are trying to sell our house first. We are both in our mid-40's and wish we had done this ages ago. Good luck.

Alan (and Pauline)

Hi I am also a nusre who is desperate to escape the NHS. At the moment incharge on nights on acute male surgical ward. Would love to return to days but the tempremental ward manager and bitchy staff puts me off. So off to Adelaide if all goes well. Been offered a job at the Queen Elizabeth hospital. :)

Jo

been here in Adelaide with the family for 5 months now, Wife works in Flinders Hospital and loving it. Gets lots of support and has 4 patients a shift to look after. I think the basic wage is around $45000

We are flying out tomorrow morning to start our new life, my wife has been offered a position at Flinders in paediatrics, sounds as though your wife likes it! She is looking foward to a new experience, should be good.

Simon and family.

Guest nurse sue

hi, nurse here too :wubclub: and im looking forward to working out there. no job lined up yet but keeping my eyes peeled :jiggy:

ellie, do you mean there is a slump in the building trade in aus??????

Guest CARMEN

HI ALL - WE HAVE THOSE STUPID CARDBOARD CUT OUT THINGS TOO - NHS CAN'T AFFORD US EXTRA BLOOD WARMERS BUT CAN PAY FOR THAT CRAP!!

CAN'T WAIT TO LEAVE - IT WON'T BE THE PROMISED LAND BUT ANYTHINGS BETTER THAN THIS !!

WHY LIVE THE LIFE YOU'RE LIVING WHEN YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU LIKE

:jiggy:

Guest agonyjohn

you all moan about your cardboard cut outs we have the NHS 'wash your hands' song playing when u walk past them to the 'if your happy and you know it clap your hands' tune! bloody idiots

i tell you wha i heard the other day that creased me up in handover we are now not aloud to say MRSA so we have to say Mrs A ha ha ha ha

i wet myself i was tryin to think of sumthin for C.diff but couldnt!

Guest Aussie pat

I worked as a RGN in Adelaide for 14 years before coming to live in the UK 13 years ago. We are planning to go back to live in Nov. I was shocked to see the low status of nurses over here when I arrived. Also the fact that they are eligible for 'key worker' help with housing due to the lower wages. Back in Adelaide I was used to nursing being regarded as a good middle class profession. My friends and I could afford to own homes in nice suburbs. In fact I was mortgage free when I left despite living on my own. Even after all of the changes over the past decade re property prices etc. my friends are still surprised when I tell them how low the status of nurses is over here in the UK. I am actually too embarrassed to tell them of how little my hourly rate is for the responsibility I currently have. Whilst I can't give you any promises about patient ratios I can assure you that you will think that you have more lifestyle choices if you make the move.

HI there guys

I am sure coming over here as nurses you wont be disapointed. Myself and my husband (nurse and midwife) have been over here since October and have no regrets at leaving the NHS behind. We certainly are financially better off - I work a bit of agency and Andy has a full time job (although he does some agency too) He has set long shifts whcih means that he gets every weekend off (unheard of in the UK, for us both to have a weekend off- which gives us great family time, in the UK it was always a case of handing over the children as we passed in the doorway). I have worked at Flinders Private (enjoyed it!) and Andy has worked at the QEH a couple of times and aside from where his FT job is, thats his favourite hosptital.

The wages here are certainly livable and agency money is silly. I smile when I walk onto a ward and the staff are complaining when they have 5 patients to look after (I was used to two of us looking after 32 postnatal women in the UK:err:)

Good Luck to you all - shout if you need any help!

Lindsey

Guest CARMEN

Hi that sounds really great! Can I just ask you though how does the Salary Sacrifice work, if you do it, as it seems popular over there from what I,ve read

Anything to make life easier will do me:jiggy:

Hi there Salary sacificing is certainly the way forward. Basically you pay $10 a fortnight to do it but this saves you save around $100 (per fortnight) . Your allowed to sacrifice $350 every fortnight . Prior to you being paid/taxed $350 is taken from your wage, you are taxed on the remainder (wage minus $350). You are then paid the remainder. The following day $350 is deposited into your account . It costs you $260 a year to do but saves you around $2600 in taxes. It must be used for something specific such as rent or mortgage but it certainly is a big help. Hope this explains it as it is really as simple as that. If you need anymore help or advice please just get in touch.

Andy