10 months in!

samandcraig

Hello, just thought I would write an update as I haven't been on for awhile. We are a family of four and moved to the southern suburbs of Adelaide March 2015. We have all been through so many emotions over the past 10 months. There has been amazing times, but also really difficult times!!!

Before arriving you play everything over in your own mind, you accept that you will have to take a step back with work and earn less money, but are willing to sacrifice that to move to the other side of the world. At the time your thinking of only lifestyle changes for the better and a great opportunity for the children, but upon arrival you realise that it is hard to take a step back! it does mess with your mind! You realise it's harder than expected to Leave familiar surroundings, surroundings that you have been use to seeing daily for the whole of your life.

The first couple of months seemed easier than the next few months that followed. Arranging your life, buying cars, choosing a house, looking around schools, all these fill you thoughts for the first few months, therefore you don't have time to think about anything else really!

The next few months after that we spent in the winter months! And after months on this site saying oh the winter won't bother me I'm from Cumbria, the wettest place in England, sitting beneath Scotland, I lived on the coast which was absolutely freezing! I thought oh an Australian winter will be an absolute doddle!

I was so wrong! Ha ha...although the temperature is not as cold, the houses here are not made like the ones in the UK! I can assure you! You will think (as we did) oh I won't need dressing gowns, warm clothing ect! I promise you that you will! Bring everything you can. We had never owned an electric blanket in the UK, we all own one here...I know it sounds crazy, but it's true!

So that didn't help our mood, it was cold, windy and rainy we had been through an English winter and now had to go through an Australian winter, I would reccomend people arrive in September! If we were to do it again September would be our month of choice to arrive.

we were lucky as my husband found work as a joiner within two weeks, but is now on his third job in 10 months which would never have been the case in the UK...but he's pretty settled with the company he's with now. I worked in retail for 9 years in a well know homeware and fashion shop, I was a sales leader and I am still struggling to find a basic shop job here. I am having no luck! Had an interview this week and another rejection. I'm prepared to do anything to be honest, but still rejections. It does get you down! But it's out of your own hands so you have to try and deal with it.

We just remember that we are lucky that Craig has found a good role.

We have met some amazing people, we have a great group of friends which we spend so much time with, it is true that friends become family....definitely.

we applied for a couple of houses and are lucky enough to have had a choice, and we do live in a beautiful 4 bedroom house with a pool, it is lovely and the kids use the pool nearly every day.

The kids started at the local public school, the fees were approx $400 for both children. My oldest starts the local public secondary college in February which is a it more expensive but not too bad.

They both settled extremely well, especially my 6year old, she just slotted straight in, my son took a little bit longer, but that was to be expected as he is 12 years old.

overall I think they have found it a lot easier than us.

The summer months arrived and like back home, the sight of the sun automatically lifts your mood. We now had time to reflect! We could sit back and take a look at exactly what we had been up to over the past months.

We did feel proud, while your here you just get on with it....you forget that you have moved to the other side of the word and started from scratch! It isn't easy....that's for sure. But we do believe it's definitely worth it.

You go through so many emotions...happy, sad, questioning what you have done, feeling guilty for those you have left behind, beating yourself up for taking your children away from all they have ever known, will this be a better life for them, will we be happy here, have we wasted all that money for visas ect, have we done the right thing????? You send yourself a little bit crazy, overthinking goes into overdrive! Especially when you are struggling to find work! Ha ha.....you have to laugh a little in between!!!

this is all natural! It is a HUGE move, it's a BRAVE move.

after a wonderful Christmas and a lovely new year we finally feel a lot more settled. We have never once said that we want to go home. You do look back at England with rose tinted glasses I'm sure, you watch the English TV programs and think how beautiful the uk is and question why you left....but that's the answer! You chose to leave and it was hard work to get to Australia, so it can't have been a rash decision.

we love the south of Adelaide, it's so beautiful, it has amazing beaches that literally make you say wow every time you go! We say we could never go back now. For us all life does seem so much better here. I hope this post is useful to somebody planning to make the move. Good luck to you all

What a wonderful post, Thank You.

I am so pleased you shared that as we are heading out in a few months and I just know we will have the same sort of ups and downs that you have described.

The grass will sometimes look greener looking back at the UK but really its just the same as you left it and nothing has changed much, also I think you have achieved a fantastic amount in just 10months so well done.

looking forward to more updates

Regards

Phil

great post, Sam

you are one of several people lately to comment on how cold SA buildings seem in winter.

Many were built at a time when power prices were much lower and they are built differently to the UK

-much wider eves to give more shade;

-rarely any double glazing;

-very little background heating (-like radiators etc);

-relatively low thermal mass (the weight of the building itself should regulate temperature fluctuations;

-unlagged external water pipes

Here's a few ideas that might help:

-Shade trees on the North and Western side of the house need to be deciduous to let in the winter sun (-Gleditsias and Jacarandas seem to do very well)

- brick veneer buildings really need cavity insulation as well as loft insulation

- if you can't find double glazing, lined curtains and pelmets will help on cold winter nights

-ceiling fans are even more useful in winter than in summer: switch them to reverse on the lowest setting (the air that pools near the ceiling is generally 8 to 9 C warmer than at floor level: it's just wasted heat if you don't circulate it)

-your Reverse Cycle aircon can be set to switch on for an hour late afternoon in Winter. This will pump warmth from outside the house to the inside, for the use of relatively little electricity. It gives a great supply of background warmth, and with the new Inverter compressors it won't add overall to the power bill.

-whatever you do to keep your home warm in winter (draught stoppers, extra insulation etc etc) will keep the heat out in summer, too.....it's a win / win

JB :swoon:

A BIG thank you for taking the time to post your update. I always think it is such a shame that people are such frequent posters before the move and then we never hear from the majority of them again, so it is good to hear how you are getting on. I also think it is great that you have posted about your ups and downs. I think too many people feel they have to sell 'the dream' and only want to say good things when I know from the migrants I meet and migrant friends we all have ups and downs and go through a whole range of emotions and this is normal and I hate to use the word (so MasterChef!) but it is part of the journey.

We have been here nearly 9 years now and still are very appreciative of the fact we were able to migrate. Our visa enabled us to live anywhere in Australia but we chose to come to Adelaide and on the whole have always been happy with that choice. Don't get me wrong I have had a few ups and downs along the way, but that is life. Emigrating isn't for everyone and I think a lot of people don't think of the big picture/long term vision and if things aren't working out within a few months they think they are failures, but starting a new life from scratch takes time and commitment.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Thank you phil...I just notice that not too many people actually do many updates once they have been here a few months, I know people are busy getting on with life. So just thought I'd do a little update post as I know a few families are and have been going through the same as us.

You are right, so often we here from people before their move and soon after but then they tend to drop off and go get busy with living life and don't pop back and post updates as time goes on. Some do which is always much appreciated. Its been that way since even before I joined the forum. I can remember my lurking days here before I signed up an account and read the same sort of thing about this then as today :)

Anyways, we appreciate hearing from people as and when. Its great to hear from you and how its going. Its crappy you've not found work yet. Retail can be hard here if older I think as it seems so often they hire casual uni and school kids but some stores do seem to hire older people (lol older people, but YKWIM :P ) . Are you trying individual shops, as in privately owned ones rather than chains? Just I often see ads in local shops around here. I shop in Blackwood and Mitcham quite often and they have lots of small stores and boutiques and seem to hire people on a casual basis but not always school or uni aged IYKWIM. Not sure they list the jobs online either or if they do, where. I realise it may be too far for you or perhaps you've already tried all those options but if not is there anything down your way like that? Really hope something comes up for you. I only work part time and it can be hit and miss. I get a bit frustrated by it sometimes and would like another day or two but I also just appreciate I am working and have some income. I don't want to go back to my old line of work here as the hours were long and I don't want to miss out on my family time and weekends etc anymore.

And yes, the winter can feel cold indoors. I brought a big thick fleecy dressing gown with me and love that in the winter. Plus a big duck down duvet. Heating just seems to fly out the house the moment you turn the heaters off or down. Thankfully its short and the sun is soon back. We arrived in the October when we came over and I remember being so cold then as it was unseasonally chilly for a few weeks after we arrived. Hated it lol. Do think its good advice to arrive here for spring as you then miss winter for a long time and get an extended summer :cute:

Glad you are feeling settled and enjoying life. Look forward to the next update :smile:

Hi Sam, its so lovely of you to post a follow up. I have read a few of your posts in the UK and now we are here! Day 10! We are currently in a short term rental in the eastern suburbs which although great for schools, will be a bit of a stretch for us to settle in the longer term i think...(bad day of home viewings today) Its great to be reassured that you have both made friends and settled into a nice property/area. Currently we are neck deep in all the home searching and comparing schools, desperately trying to find a good fit for us. I'm glad that you have weathered it and come out the other side with lots of positivity, its a great reassurance. Will keep fingers crossed you get work sorted soon.

Sarah

Hi Sam, it's great to hear how people are doing. We moved over in May 14 and and agree after the first couple of months being busy you do start to think about how big the move actually is. I was lucky and found work quite quick but my husband had found it harder doing casual work. He now has a full time casual role with the first company he went to and that has made life more stable. Our boys who are 16 and 13 are settled and enjoying life here. I agree that there are days when you question what you have done and the guilt of leaving family back in the UK. But we have a lovely rental with the beautiful Moana beach at the end of the road so we also look at how lucky we are to be here. We now have Harvey a golden retreiver who loves the beach and has helped us all settle. Good luck to everyone who is planning the move over. Regards Sue

Hi Sam, its so lovely of you to post a follow up. I have read a few of your posts in the UK and now we are here! Day 10! We are currently in a short term rental in the eastern suburbs which although great for schools, will be a bit of a stretch for us to settle in the longer term i think...(bad day of home viewings today) Its great to be reassured that you have both made friends and settled into a nice property/area. Currently we are neck deep in all the home searching and comparing schools, desperately trying to find a good fit for us. I'm glad that you have weathered it and come out the other side with lots of positivity, its a great reassurance. Will keep fingers crossed you get work sorted soon.

Sarah

Good to hear you have arrived safely :) If you want to try to stay somewhere over that side you could cast your net a bit further out to the outer lying suburbs like Belair, Blackwood, Glenalta, Hawthorndene, Eden Hills, Craigburn Farm and around there. Some very good state school options both primary and high school to choose from.

Schools being on summer break atm its understandably hard to be able to visit and get a feel for a school. Drop me a PM if you want to ask about the areas I mentioned. We are around and about them, use the local amenities, public transport, sports clubs etc in some of the above places plus others in the area I've not mentioned. The My school website is always good for school info http://myschool.edu.au/

Don't forget, make use of the forum as there may well be older threads where people have posted (with schools so long as its not a years old thread the info could still be relevant/useful. Often for example a new principal will see changes take place) or if you ask Q's on here others can see and hopefully give you feedback/suggestions etc.

Sam, not sure it would be of interest to you but I was in Glenelg this morning and there's a shop called Chandra (I think!) and they had a sign to say they're hiring at the moment. It's on Jetty Rd btw.

I can't find it online :( thank you for thinking of me though, was really good of you. It's so hard when you are looking constantly and are never given a break....xx

Hi Sam, it's great to hear how people are doing. We moved over in May 14 and and agree after the first couple of months being busy you do start to think about how big the move actually is. I was lucky and found work quite quick but my husband had found it harder doing casual work. He now has a full time casual role with the first company he went to and that has made life more stable. Our boys who are 16 and 13 are settled and enjoying life here. I agree that there are days when you question what you have done and the guilt of leaving family back in the UK. But we have a lovely rental with the beautiful Moana beach at the end of the road so we also look at how lucky we are to be here. We now have Harvey a golden retreiver who loves the beach and has helped us all settle. Good luck to everyone who is planning the move over. Regards Sue

hi sue, you seem to be doing a lot better, I don't think we give ourselves enough credit! It's a hard move and takes time. Good luck for the future xx

hi sue, you seem to be doing a lot better, I don't think we give ourselves enough credit! It's a hard move and takes time. Good luck for the future xx

Hi Sam, I totally agree we had a hard 6 months last year but life is far more positive now. We were prepared that there is a lot of casual work and that you also take a big step back but until you live it you cannot appreciate how hard it can be at times. Good luck with your job search and best wishes for your future, Sue xx

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to update, I found it very useful. Me and my husband were having this conversation this morning now we are ready to start with an agent. Should we shouldn't we? Is the grass greener? What if we cant find jobs? What if we have to come back and the financial lost of moving out, visas and having to move back etc. Its such a big decision, I am flying out in March and home to find out about work and so on and have a better insight. Hoping to move to Adelaide :)

Thank you for taking the time to update, I found it very useful. Me and my husband were having this conversation this morning now we are ready to start with an agent. Should we shouldn't we? Is the grass greener? What if we cant find jobs? What if we have to come back and the financial lost of moving out, visas and having to move back etc. Its such a big decision, I am flying out in March and home to find out about work and so on and have a better insight. Hoping to move to Adelaide :)

Hi there.....I'm pleased it was useful for you :) yeah I totally understand what you mean! And all I can tell you is that there have been times here where we have been eating into our savings and you think oh no! What have we done!? But then you only need to take a look around see what a life we have here and it doesn't seem too bad! There were times when I thought have we made the right decision and have missed people and things, but life here is so lovely for us, and we seem to have such less stress! Christmas was so chilled out and I thought I wouldn't like it! But I really did, and because the kids are off school and the sun is shining there were no January blues to be seen! it IS a tough ride....but in my opinion a worthwhile one.