Newly arrived

Nellyinoz

G'day everyone My names elly and I have just arrived in Adelaide. I have been a lurker on here for a long time..so please be gentle. I have loads of questions to ask..but have no internet connection so am relying on the library. Hoping to secure a rental ..looking at Elizabeth and Mansfield park to be near my partners work.looking forward to making new friends:biglaugh:

Hi Elly, welcome to the forum and Adelaide :)

Library is good but also check out the free wifi spots around or sit near a Maccas and get a slow connection if you've a phone ;)

I can't comment on the suburbs you mention as don't know them. Are there specific reasons you list them as they are quite a distance apart and there are other suburbs that may also tick boxes not too far from them.

Hi Elly, welcome to the forum and Adelaide :)

Library is good but also check out the free wifi spots around or sit near a Maccas and get a slow connection if you've a phone ;)

I can't comment on the suburbs you mention as don't know them. Are there specific reasons you list them as they are quite a distance apart and there are other suburbs that may also tick boxes not too far from them.

My partners area will be primarily Elizabeth downs but will be also based at Mansfield park...I am told it is about a 30 min commute. I get my wheels tomorrow so am eager to explore:biglaugh:

My partners area will be primarily Elizabeth downs but will be also based at Mansfield park...I am told it is about a 30 min commute. I get my wheels tomorrow so am eager to explore:biglaugh:

Elizabeth and Mansfield Park don't have the greatest reputation but obviously everyone has different needs/wants/budget to take into account.

I was so full of hope and excitement..all I want to do is crawl under the duvet and never get out of bed...give the north of Adelaide a miss

Least you found out for yourself as to if it was somewhere suitable for you to settle. I'd not be too down about it. Its a bit of a shock perhaps but honestly, in the grand scheme of things you didn't rent a house there, have found out it isn't suitable and so can carry on and look elsewhere. Its not all going to fall into place and often people start of with an idea in their head and then end up somewhere totally different.

Migrating is a big thing and you possibly settled on the areas in your mind without having much real info to go on. I'd do a bit more research into suburbs, narrow down what you want from an area, how far you both mind commuting and so on.

It is so difficult on a public forum.

If people negatively comment on areas they are really going to open a real can of worms.

I have a PIA member to reply to regarding accommodation...I can't accept their stay because the property cannot take his dog. They have booked elsewhere but how do I tell him that the suburb that he's going to be in may have on parole criminals, drug dealers and a host of anti social behaviour to contend with? It's only our opinion at the end of the day.

My son stays in O Sullivan's Beach. He's poor (apprentice) and rents a run down house. There are house proud people in his road and there are ferals. I can't advise anyone not to rent in O Sullivan's, Christies Downs, Hackam West etc etc as there are some good people who also live there and the people who live in these areas would rightly not be impressed by my comments.

Makes it sound like Adelaide is the pits! It's not!

There are some sub economic suburbs, a predominance of housing trust suburbs(not all housing trust tenants are ferals!), and high unemployment suburbs...but the family friendly suburbs are the norm.

Move to a nice family friendly area and put this behind you. Port Noarlunga, Seaford and Hallet Cove are examples of affordable suburbs south of the city (there are many more than this but you don't hear the horror story that you are describing from people who have moved and live here), and pick an area to suit your budget and work / commute requirements.

Don't give up on Adelaide though.

Well said Tamara good and bad everywhere we lived and worked Southside me being in security saw a lot of seamier side of life but the good far out weighs the bad

I recall being pushed by a young lad - who came and picked me up a biker his mate caught the lad and made him apologise

Don't judge a book by the cover is a good maxim

My granddaughters live at Hackham nice streets with well kept houses but the look I get off some people when I say where they live is Oh why live there

When buying or renting take a look at the houses in the street ,go sit in the car at different times of the day to see what goes on If you don't like what you see don't buy or rent

Why were you considering Elizabeth and Mansfield Park as potential suburbs to live in? How were you made aware of these suburbs as a new arrival to Adelaide?

IIRC her partners work is going to be in both of those. Sure that was what was said in another thread.