We got our Visa's......:-)

Tommo

Hi Everyone

I can now announce that myself and my family received conformation of our Visa's this morning.....we are coming over.

This has been a dream of ours for some time which has now come into fruition.

I would like to introduce ourselves.....my name is Simon (39), my wife is Jemma (36) and our daughter Harriet (2.5). We are from Bristol and are moving to Adelaide mid-July this year.

We have a lot of planning to do prior to our arrival, I guess the obvious things house, car, jobs, friends, nursery etc.

I have lots of questions, I will begin by looking at some previous threads .

Congratulations on the visa grant :)

We (husband, then 5 yo son and myself) moved over from the Bristol area about 2.5 years ago now. Lived a few miles outside of it. Lovely part of the world.

Having a look at past threads for info is always good but if in doubt, ask again in a new thread and we'll do our best to help. Sometimes the older threads can be a bit out of date or some such.

Keep in mind you'll be arriving in the middle of winter here so be prepared that it won't be blue skies and sunshine and could well be pretty chilly, especially indoors, as the Aus houses are not usually great at heating up and retaining heat in winter. Pack a few warm sweaters and stuff. Though it'll probably not feel as cold to you guys as it does to those who've acclimatised, its still good to be prepared. Don't worry though, spring will soon arrive.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Congratulations on the visa grant :)

We (husband, then 5 yo son and myself) moved over from the Bristol area about 2.5 years ago now. Lived a few miles outside of it. Lovely part of the world.

Having a look at past threads for info is always good but if in doubt, ask again in a new thread and we'll do our best to help. Sometimes the older threads can be a bit out of date or some such.

Keep in mind you'll be arriving in the middle of winter here so be prepared that it won't be blue skies and sunshine and could well be pretty chilly, especially indoors, as the Aus houses are not usually great at heating up and retaining heat in winter. Pack a few warm sweaters and stuff. Though it'll probably not feel as cold to you guys as it does to those who've acclimatised, its still good to be prepared. Don't worry though, spring will soon arrive.

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Great advice Snifter our first winter was a bit of an eye opener Our bedrooms were Baltic I always said we could have hung meat in there lol

Hi Jessica Berry

My wife currently works Accounts Manager for a solicitors and I am a consultant. The OH will be happy with some part-time work but I would need something more substantial. I have an MBA in Business Administration and a HND in Engineering and currently work in Senior Management.

Thank you everyone for your welcome.

I have been doing some reading on here as well as other places and have become quite concerned about the job prospects in Adelaide. There seems to be so much negativity about this topic and the current economic state of Adelaide.

Is it really as bad as people are making out?

Also, we haven't set our hearts on a particular area yet. We want an area which is safe, clean with local shops. It would need to have good primary schools and be within 30-40 minutes to the beaches. Can anybody make some initial recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there, it does seem to be true that the job situation isn't great. But I do think it depends how your particular skill is doing! My husband has been in work since the second week of arriving (he's a carpenter) but some of our friends have really struggled. I myself have just managed to get a small part time job in retail after working for a large department store for 9years back home. We have been here 12 months. Do plenty of research before you come.

I have been doing some reading on here as well as other places and have become quite concerned about the job prospects in Adelaide. There seems to be so much negativity about this topic and the current economic state of Adelaide.

Also, we haven't set our hearts on a particular area yet. We want an area which is safe, clean with local shops. It would need to have good primary schools and be within 30-40 minutes to the beaches. Can anybody make some initial recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

No one can say with any certainty if you'll walk into a job within the first month or if you'll still be looking a few months or more in. Yes, some areas of employment in Adelaide are taking a hit, others are more stable. Migrating is a big step and work is the most important aspect and if that fails to materialise it has a big knock on effect into other aspects of life of course.

Your areas of work may not be as bad as other industries. Hopefully Jessica Berry can hopefully give you some pointers. And you can do plenty of research yourself and see what you think.

Lots of areas could tick your boxes. You could get from the eastern side to the coast in 40 minutes in non rush hour for sure.

Depending on your funds and how things may unfold I'd say don't settle on any one area till you are here, have had time to get your bearings, have found a job and have an income and know the commute you are happy to do and so on. Kids can change schools if need be 6 months or a year down the track (we moved our son when we had been here 10 months and 2.5-3 months after we bought our house in a totally different area to where we started off). Of course, where you start off you may love and want to stay put and can afford etc, so no problems, but keep an open mind and if an area isn't for you after a while don't be afraid to move half an hour or some such away to somewhere that suits your wants and needs. No point moving the other side of the world and not liking where you live.

I love where we live but it doesn't suit everyone. 10-15 minutes sees us at a number of beaches. 30 minutes into the CBD for a night out. Good schools also but thats of course as subjective as everything else ;) A few minutes drive to the train station to take the train into the CBD if we need it also.

As I usually say to people regarding work it depends what you do and what you are willing to do. There is no doubt that some areas of work are tough and the problem is there is an over supply of people so there can be a lot of competition for some roles. Adelaide also can be very much a right place, right time and you can source jobs from all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

Coming in July is a good time, start of the new financial year, so employers may have some money to spend. I would recommend getting straight into your job search. Nov/Dec/Jan generally are notoriously difficult for work as we move into the summer months and the school summer holidays and a lot of people take time off work, so recruitment gets very slow.

I am always surprised that people seem to be shocked that it takes time to get a job. If my situation was reversed and I was to return to my UK home town, I wouldn't expect to get a job straight away, as the process takes time. When I lived in the UK, council/Government jobs used to have a standard line saying 'if you haven't heard within 6 weeks' indicating that this is how long the process could take.

Some people come with unrealistic expectations, however if you have done your research on your job prospects and/or taken advice and guidance and have some money as a backup just in case and come with the right attitude and approach then you are half way there!