Hello everyone.

Wadeo1974

Hello.

We're new to this site having surfed through Poms in Oz for a bit before getting redirected here. We are considering the big move over to Adelaide in 2 or 3 years or so once I have finished my Osteopathy degree. We have been to Adelaide a couple of times on holiday, twice in two years to be exact and we love the place, the people, the climate and it always feels like home and we were surprised at the change in the city in the time between our two visits.

Like I said, we are considering moving over in the not too distant future and we were worried by some of the negativity on some of the forums in regards to the economy and the job market and were wondering if it is still n the doldrums or if the situation has started to improve. Things didn't appear to be that bad when we were over in October '15. My OH is a UK qualified CTA and I will be an Osteopath once I qualify and the issue finding work or at least the promise of work before we leave is probably our biggest concern.

Anyways, Hello once again from us, all your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Andrew.

P.S. Can any fellow Stokies tell us if you can get a decent oatcake or half dozen in Adelaide or not?

Hello.

We're new to this site having surfed through Poms in Oz for a bit before getting redirected here. We are considering the big move over to Adelaide in 2 or 3 years or so once I have finished my Osteopathy degree. We have been to Adelaide a couple of times on holiday, twice in two years to be exact and we love the place, the people, the climate and it always feels like home and we were surprised at the change in the city in the time between our two visits.

Like I said, we are considering moving over in the not too distant future and we were worried by some of the negativity on some of the forums in regards to the economy and the job market and were wondering if it is still n the doldrums or if the situation has started to improve. Things didn't appear to be that bad when we were over in October '15. My OH is a UK qualified CTA and I will be an Osteopath once I qualify and the issue finding work or at least the promise of work before we leave is probably our biggest concern.....

Funny you should say that :"Things didn't appear to be that bad when we were over in October '15"

I have no idea what people are talking about when they refer to Adelaide being on its knees. Compared to Thatcher's England, and life in the less glamorous parts of Sydney and Melbourne and Western Australia, for that matter - this is still a very vibrant place to live.

(-and that includes life for Osteopaths I know who came here from Victoria)

JB :swoon:

Edited by snifter
fixed quote tags

I expect its like most recessions. Some people will really struggle and notice it, others either don't notice it or will even benefit from it in some way (our uk mortgage dropped by 4% overnight which was a huge help). The best thing to do is to plan for the possibility that you wont have work for the first few months, and then if you do you will have some extra savings for other things. We are coming over in July. I don't yet have work, but I'm a nurse so we have got savings to cover us for a while if need be, but people always need care so bound to find something at some point if I still don't have a job lined up when we arrive. We personally didn't find the uk recession had much impact on us, but I did see the effect it had on so many others.

I expect its like most recessions. Some people will really struggle and notice it, others either don't notice it or will even benefit from it in some way (our uk mortgage dropped by 4% overnight which was a huge help). The best thing to do is to plan for the possibility that you wont have work for the first few months, and then if you do you will have some extra savings for other things. We are coming over in July. I don't yet have work, but I'm a nurse so we have got savings to cover us for a while if need be, but people always need care so bound to find something at some point if I still don't have a job lined up when we arrive. We personally didn't find the uk recession had much impact on us, but I did see the effect it had on so many others.

That's a fair point re how it affects individuals. I know before we left the UK and there was all the doom and gloom and yet for many people we knew their lives were not affected massively or so much so that it made much impact. Like anything people perhaps tightened their belts a bit, watched their budget a bit more and so on but I can't say it was dire straits around us.

Here pretty much everyone I know is just getting on, working and living their lives. I know of 2 people who have been out of work in recent times and both found work. One of those chose to leave their job and look for a new one. Both in very different lines of work but both have found news jobs now.

I think coming over as a migrant can be tough going for some. No doubt about it. And yes, Adelaide can be a tough job market to crack. But its not an impossible task for everyone though some do struggle and find it crappy going and understandably so. The recession in the UK may have not had much of an impact on you (it didn't on us either tbf) but its good to hear you've got some decent savings and are prepared for not working or it taking a while to find some work. I would hope in nursing there would be some area you could find agency work in at least or in the aged care sector perhaps, to at least get you started. Be prepared for whatever may unfold and hopefully you'll take it in your stride, even if at the time its crappy, you can work through it all.

I think having a positive mindset, being prepared for things at their worst and all that is a good thing. Even if things go well you can still have days where you are in tears, miserable and sitting wondering what on earth you were thinking. Its the rollercoaster ride of a migrant and takes some working through. And if the worst does happen job wise, you are at least set up for it with savings and in other ways. Hopefully it won't be that bad and you'll be able to find some positives in your move in those early weeks and months and find good things, even if its small steps.

Hello and welcome :smile:

The news outlets report the news, so what is out there is common knowledge. As to how it affects people not directly affected by the lay offs or car plants closing I don't know. I read the same news as everyone else but everyone is going to have a different experience of the effects of it all. People I know are just going about living their lives, much as they did when we were in the UK amidst it all.

It may well be difficult to secure work prior to making the move. Not many do it this way. Aus employers will often want people living locally and won't consider CV's from overseas or from people not yet residing in the area. Be prepared for this. Of course, if your visa is an employer sponsored visa then its different as you'd have an employer lined up, but if you are going for a PR or SS type visa then the reality is securing a job from the UK isn't the norm.

I won't say do or don't migrate as lots can change in the coming years before such a move. I know when we first talked about moving here it was a couple of years before we actually made the move and honestly, if I had taken to heart every story of doom and gloom I read (about anything and everything, be it education, health, employment and more) it would have driven me silly and I'd probably have not wanted to bother to even try to move here. End of the day for us, we moved for reasons that were important to us, regardless of everyone and everything else, had to work hard, save and so on and both leave our jobs and start all over again here. OK my husband is an Aussie and we had family here to stay with for a few months when we arrived but for everything else, we've worked hard to achieve what we have here and 2.5 years or so in are really happy and settled with it all.

Would I do it over again now, reading all the recent news? Yes. That is perhaps more because of the type of person I am and that I tend to say do it if it is what I/we really want. Worse that can happen is we don't like it or don't settle for whatever reason and so we'd plan to go elsewhere, as we did when we made the actual move back in 2013. We said we'd give it a go, if for whatever reason is wasn't the move for us, then we'd seek to make changes as needed. FWIW, a move back to the UK was not even our last resort plan had things not worked out. I have never viewed the UK as the fallback plan or the place I/we would automatically want to return to if things hadn't worked out. I'd want to try somewhere new as there were many many reasons we chose to leave the UK and now there are very few to make us want to move back.

You will have your own reasons to want to migrate. How driven you are about them will perhaps be the key. Can you justify them to yourselves and are you are prepared for all eventualities? If so, its a decision only you can make as to if to do it or not. It probably won't be easy but if you really think its worth it for whatever reasons are important to you, then research and inform yourselves as best you can and work towards your goal. It may be a couple of years down the line life has changed for you in the UK and migrating is well and truly off the cards, it may be you are ready to make the move and chomping at the bit to get to Aus. Lots can happen but go with it and see where it takes you and see a bit closer to the timeframe you have set yourselves.

Welcome to the forum. I am assuming you have done your homework already and qualify for visas.

In terms of employment, South Australia has the highest unemployment in Australia and their economy has been struggling for a while now. The mistake that people make is thinking because they are on a skills list that their occupation will genuinely be in demand, which isn't always the case. In terms of whether you will find work, in my opinion, it depends on your skill set, your attitude, approach, your expectations and your personal circumstances as well as many other factors - one size does not fit all!! There are often 100's of people applying for popular roles, so you need to ensure that you stand out from the crowd in your approach to job hunting. Also as you will not be here for another 2 to 3 years, yours and Adelaide's circumstances may change in that time.

We have been here for 9 years and are very happy with the choice we made to move to Adelaide. OH skills have been in genuine demand from week one of our arrival and I have had a variety of roles (I do quite a few contract/temporary roles by choice) and find by making sure I have a diverse skill set and a flexible attitude I can pick up work.

Thank you for your contributions. It's nice to get an alternative viewpoint for a change. Some of the voices on the forums are full of doom and gloom but like I said, thats not how we found the place last year but we were only on holiday. That said we had a good scout about the place snd we still love Adelaide.

Jessica we have a couple of options regarding visas but I need to graduate first (which will be next summer hopefully) and theres some post grad qualifications Im thinking of doing first before we come over.

Hopefully we will see you all soon

- one size does not fit all!! There are often 100's of people applying for popular roles, so you need to ensure that you stand out from the crowd in your approach to job hunting.

yep... the CV only gets your application from one pile of papers onto a short list, these days

-it's the cover note that gets you into the interview

- and ( i m h o ) - all other things being equal- it's your questions to the Interview Panel that gets you the job)

JB:swoon:

Edited by John Browning
clarity

yep... the CV only gets your application from one pile of papers onto a short list, these days

-it's the cover note that gets you into the interview

- and ( i m h o ) - all other things being equal- it's your questions to the Interview Panel that gets you the job)

JB:swoon:

There are many ways to get an interview (or job), sometimes you can get a job without an interview, as I say one size doesn't fit all. When I work with clients, the approach I recommend to secure work in a particular role or industry can vary depending on many factors, often understanding how things work in Adelaide can be the first step for new migrants.