Hi! And advice if possible, plz

Guest marley123

Guest marley123

Great Forum by the way.

Anyway, male here 41, Wife 35, two kids 11 + 13.

Been seriously considering a move to OZ now for the last three years and it looks like Adelaide is the option that would most likely suit us.

We havent actually started the process yet as i am in my final year of getting an NVQ 3 in Health and social care as i want to work with people who have learning disabilities. The Wife has got many qualifications in Beauty therapy so she will be the main person on the application. One problem that really concerns me is, we rent a house and have not got the capital to invest in a home over there! So i have done the math and both our wages over there would reach around the 90 grand a year, is this actually enough for a family of four to survive on and eventually get a morgage on a respectable house?

Guest Libby1971

I couldn't say for sure as what one person thinks is decent may not be to another's taste.

We did bring some money with us and that coupled with a mortgage mean we live nicely with a salary less than your combined wage. Only one of us is working at the moment and that means we are ok. Our girls eat like horses adn we are doing ok.

It would depend upon your idea of a ncie house and what the house prices are like at the time.

Libby

Guest marley123

Thanks for the reply Libby.

Should have clarified what i mean by a decent house. Something in the 200 range as long as it was in a decent area. But the mortgage is the problem and dont know if we would get one on the income we both would be on, and seeing as we would be first time buyers!

More research i think lol

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Guys , i see no reason why not , seeing as the average South Australia wage is aprox the $45,000 mark, so $90,000 would be a good start. And remembere as a first time buyer you get the $12,000 rebate Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, Just read your post. Could you please advise if the 12,000 rebate for first time buyers applies to those on a temporary visa. We are applying for the 475 state sponsored temporary regional visa. Your advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks Trevali x

Guest Deb17

Yeah, I would like to be clear on this too. As far as I was concerned, (but then we have been told a right load of old bo***cks by the authorities) the first home buyers grant is only for PR holders, isn't it?

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Yeah, I would like to be clear on this too. As far as I was concerned, (but then we have been told a right load of old bo***cks by the authorities) the first home buyers grant is only for PR holders, isn't it?

Yes i'm afraid you are correct only PR holders are eligible,

Guzzler

Guest Libby1971

When we applied for our mortgage, yes we had some money to put down but we had no permanent job and in fact were employed by an agency and had had between us a combined total of 9 days (although I had just been told I had a contract to start in 2 weeks). We got a mortgage easily on the back of that.

I wouldn't have thought you would have much of a problem but if you want some advice, I can pm you the name of a good finance person who may be able to answer your questions in more detail.

As for area, and price for your money, it would depend on how much house you want for your money and whether you mind doing it up a bit, or a lot. Aussies don't seem to like updating things too much although they do want the mod cons in the houses. Seems they'd rather move house than do them up and make a more substantial profit.

Libby

Hi

With regards to buying a $200k property with a combined salary of $90k, then this should be achievable, other factors would be looked at including deposit amount.

You can get a mortgage as a temp resident, however if you want to borrow more than 80% of the property value then there will be issues. I know of only 1 lender that would consider this.

Also the First Home Owners Grant FHOG is $7,000 and the First Home Owners Bonus Grant of $4,000 = $11,000 is only available to PR!

Regards

Andy

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,we are returning to Oz to live soon and were wondering (never rented before in Oz)is it feasible to rent something on casual jobs?Does that go against you as opposed to having fulltime permanant jobs?Going by the employment scene there alot of jobs are casual,and that might be our only option to start with?any help appreciated...thanksx

Guest Deb17

I don't think it really matters if the jobs are only casual to most agencies or private landlords, as long as you have enough combined income and perhaps some savings as well to back you up. We have rented for two years and found that the biggest problem for us was not having references and this meant a decision has sometimes gone against us, but if you don't have any friends or family here, who do you use? We ended up showing them pictures of the sale details from our house in the UK, just so they could see interior pictures of it looking all neat and clean!!!

The worst aspects of renting are a) not being able to find anything suitable because the rental vacancies are so low and b) periodic inspections!!!