Rent or Buy

Guest sharon&jason

Guest sharon&jason

Hi everyone

Myself, Jason (hubby) & 2 boys ryan & kieran are in the process of getting our visa, we are looking at the Happy Valley or Blackwood area for living in:

a) what do people think would be best either to rent or buy?

am looking forward to some suggestions

Cheers

Sharon

Guest chippie74

i would rent 1st and see how you like the place!!!!!.. thats what we are gunna do...we are off to adelaide but havent a clue where to start...good luck

Guest Django

Hiya Sharon,

We are looking at places between Eden Hills and Moana. Happy Valley is bang in the middle of this area so we will be checking it out too. As 'Chipster' says, rent for a bit while you find what place has all or most of what you want.

Pete

We are renting on a 12 month contract which gives us the opportunity to get to know the area and then hopefully buy something that might need a bit of work which we can do without too much upheaval.

When I came out in March a few agents suggested buying in a place where demand is high as you would be fairly sure of selling for a profit a few months down the line. You can normally complete a sale in a month - if you are going for OAA this might be a good idea as you might not want to stay there for 12 weeks.

Guest Guest75
Hi everyone

Myself, Jason (hubby) & 2 boys ryan & kieran are in the process of getting our visa, we are looking at the Happy Valley or Blackwood area for living in:

a) what do people think would be best either to rent or buy?

am looking forward to some suggestions

Cheers

Sharon

Hiya Sharon.

Some of it is luck.

My best advice is to rent initially while you find the area you really like.

We bought straight away and love it where we live..............but there are many I know who regretted buying first as then they found they were not happy with the area.

Common sense would say rent though :o

Guest betty22

Hi,

We bought within 3 days of arrival, in an area that we had considered before we left the UK. We were lucky as the house was vacant possession and we moved in straight away and paid rent to the vendors for 3 weeks til settlement.

We didn't reallt consider renting as we wanted to settle and when the container arrived at least the kids could have all their things and of course do their rooms the way they wanted.

It really comes down to personal choice really. For us if we had bought and found it wasnt quite right we could sell up and move on and saved on shelling out on rent.

As it turns out we are very happy with our house and the area we live in. so it really is down to personal choice

Liz

Guest dglamoore

We are planning to rent probably for at least the first year - we want to make sure we like the area we chose plus have a business to set up and get going before worrying about getting a mortgage.

Looking forward to looking around some of the areas at long last tomorrow :lol:

Lisa :D

Guest Russfamily

I think the best thig to do would be to rent for about half a year in the mean tme check out an area u like then go for, keep in mind that prices are on the up. We just bought on the esplanade 9 out of 10 people want to live on the sea front so these areas will always keep there prices. Lastly the new port Adelaide development is pushing prices up in the areas near to it

good luck

Guest smax

personally I would advise you to rent. That way you can get a better feel for all areas and there is nothing like being there to do that no matter how much research you do.

Also if you buy then decide you want to move in a few months you get hit with 2 lots of stamp duty and depending on the value of the property this can be a considerable amount.

Remember also that when you do decided to buy it is a relatively quick process compared to the UK. Title is guaranteed at purchase so no long solictor waits (all searches already done etc). No guzumping etc. Also, most often it will not be a "subject to" sale (although there are exceptions of course). Once the contract is done, neither the buyer nor seller can pull out (unless it is "subject to"). You get 3 days cooling off on completion of the contract.

It is not unheard of to have settlement (completion) in 2-3 weeks in some cases so no hurry!

6 month rental periods are less common in Adelaide than the UK - most will be 12.

Hope that helps