Letting off steam...

Guest jomasey

Guest jomasey

I need to rant!

I feel it is my duty to warn people that Adelaide is not all it is cracked up to be. I was desperate to get here - thought it would answer all my problems - not the case. We are promised good jobs and a better lifestyle - but I have yet to find any of these things. Be warned! I don't mean to bring it down - I am just being honest and sharing my experience to make sure that no-one else suffers the same let down.

Firstly my job was on the shortage list - graphic design. Since I have been here there have been probably a total of 3 jobs to apply for (that is within 9 months). I did get a job - but ended up in a low paid junior position. I have ended up starting my own business - only because I have no other options! It is very stressful.

Secondly - wages are not good - and this reflects on your lifestyle. Rent and house prices may look good when you are earning english pounds... but when you are not - they don't look so favorable. We have had to sell our house and start renting as we can't afford the mortgage!

Some people may imagine sipping wine in the sun and having barbies with all their lovely new found ozzie mates - but believe me this is far from the truth!

It is a struggle!

I know it is difficult to settle in a new place - and I take that into consideration - but I am a positive person and I am finding it very difficult to be positive anymore!

This is all nothing compared to the amount of care in the community people who wonder the streets - the lack of culture - the awful driving (take your life in your hands - we were involved in a bad car accident last week - driver went through a red light) + + +

It is not only me who thinks this - the rest of the english friends that I have made here - seem to have problems all the time too...

I'm sure this is not the same for everyone - and the posts on here are generally positive - so if you are planning to move over - please ignore my negativity - it may be the right thing for you.

The government is trying to populate South Australia as everyone else wants to live in the rest of Australia - so they are promising all sorts of things and don't deliver.

Anyway - that is the end of my rant. Sorry if I have insulted anyone - I just can't keep quiet about this anymore!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stufi1997

That's a shame that you don't like your new home! Have you tried other places or is it only Adelaide you're disillusioned with? Do you think it's a general Australia wide thing or is it just South Australia? Can I ask where you originate from? Fiona

Hi there,

it is hard, it is a struggle, but looking back at what we left behind, it is still the best move we have made.

We are on a very low income now as only my OH is working consistantly (I too have set up my own company, which understandably is slow to begin with, I am doing relief work/first day today in a childcare centre as a casual member of staff, to try and bring some extra money in to help with bills instead of topping up with savings. We are renting as we can't afford to buy and wouldn't want a mortgage until we were well settled into jobs and aware of costs for all bills and expenses.

As a wise lady once said (you know who you are!) "The streets aren't paved with gold, people come with false expectations and it's best to be honest".

Everybody copes differently, some find their feet fairly early, others it takes time. But the financial side of things is stressful no matter what country you are in, so I can fully understand your concerns.

All I can reply now to you is, best of luck, I wish you every success in your new business and hope everything works out for you.

Guest Deb17
I need to rant!

I feel it is my duty to warn people that Adelaide is not all it is cracked up to be. I was desperate to get here - thought it would answer all my problems - not the case. We are promised good jobs and a better lifestyle - but I have yet to find any of these things. Be warned! I don't mean to bring it down - I am just being honest and sharing my experience to make sure that no-one else suffers the same let down.

Firstly my job was on the shortage list - graphic design. Since I have been here there have been probably a total of 3 jobs to apply for (that is within 9 months). I did get a job - but ended up in a low paid junior position. I have ended up starting my own business - only because I have no other options! It is very stressful.

Secondly - wages are not good - and this reflects on your lifestyle. Rent and house prices may look good when you are earning english pounds... but when you are not - they don't look so favorable. We have had to sell our house and start renting as we can't afford the mortgage!

Some people may imagine sipping wine in the sun and having barbies with all their lovely new found ozzie mates - but believe me this is far from the truth!

It is a struggle!

I know it is difficult to settle in a new place - and I take that into consideration - but I am a positive person and I am finding it very difficult to be positive anymore!

This is all nothing compared to the amount of care in the community people who wonder the streets - the lack of culture - the awful driving (take your life in your hands - we were involved in a bad car accident last week - driver went through a red light) + + +

It is not only me who thinks this - the rest of the english friends that I have made here - seem to have problems all the time too...

I'm sure this is not the same for everyone - and the posts on here are generally positive - so if you are planning to move over - please ignore my negativity - it may be the right thing for you.

The government is trying to populate South Australia as everyone else wants to live in the rest of Australia - so they are promising all sorts of things and don't deliver.

Anyway - that is the end of my rant. Sorry if I have insulted anyone - I just can't keep quiet about this anymore!

Good for you! Hear Hear!!! :notworthy:

I too have had a rant about Adelaide not being all it's cracked up to be. And I've put the wind up quite a few other people planning to migrate who think it's all going to be sunshine, beaches and quaffing endless beers over the barbie. I hope I've opened a few eyes to reality too --- after all, once you get here you have to start from scratch making a whole new life and it's very hard to do when you have no contacts, either through work or family.

Well done for having the guts to get it all off your chest! And good luck with making a go of it here, despite how rotten it all can be.

Guest Django
I feel it is my duty to warn people that Adelaide is not all it is cracked up to be.

I didn't think Adelaide is 'cracked up to be' anything. Its another city in another country. When we started out on this journey it was to get out of here rather than 'we must live in Adelaide'. We have no expectations and we also know it is different for everybody. I'm so sorry its not working for you at the mo but it does sound as though the job situation is getting you down and so you are finding faults everywhere. If the work situation improved would this alter you outlook? I would talk to Deb & Stoo if I were you. They have had a rough time of it. Poor work etc but they stuck at it and now Stoo has landed himself a good job. Overnight their outlook changed.

Like I said it is different for everyone. You went with no job and when you did eventually find it you were on a lower income than when you were here. When we go one of us already has a job earning more than here.

You also state other things like lack of culture etc. I would put it to you that the culture is different rather than not existing.

Think of the reasons you made the move. If it was to become rich then you were mis informed.

Sorry if I have insulted anyone - I just can't keep quiet about this anymore!

You can't insult anybody with an honest post. Good luck in the future and I hope your work takes off and you become happier in Oz. As Fiona said it might just be Adelaide. Somewhere like Sydney or Brissie could be all that you want.

Pete

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Sure Adelaide is not for everybody but then not everybody is for Adelaide, you need positive can do attitude, get out there meet people, you are even allowed to talk to the Australians,

Guzzler

Look, each to their own and if Adelaide is not what you expected it to be then good on you for trying to ensure that other people are not similarly disappointed BUT....:wubclub:

IMHO Adelaide has been everything we hoped it would be. Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that we are better off in any way; we aren't. In fact I don't think I've counted pennies or the days till payday like this since my 15yo was a baby! We haven't got a huge house or fantastic anything really...it's just what we need and we're happy with it. Our holidays are closer to home and shorter but we have a good time. We're happy.

I don't know what makes one person love it here and another take longer to find their feet or even like it here, but I guess that's why we don't all live in the same house, in the same place, in the same country. If you see what I mean. It's a very personal thing and therefore no-one's opinion can be right or wrong; it's just their's.

I hope it all works out for you and your friends. Good luck!

:wubclub: LC

Guest jomasey
That's a shame that you don't like your new home! Have you tried other places or is it only Adelaide you're disillusioned with? Do you think it's a general Australia wide thing or is it just South Australia? Can I ask where you originate from? Fiona

Thanks for your reply :) I lived in Sydney for a year - but my visa ran out - so went back to London for 2 years and spent money and time on getting the visa to SA - only because I could stay here for 2 years then go back to Sydney. I know Sydney is the 'enemy' of the rest of OZ because they think they are so great! But to me that was the real Australia and to me Adelaide isn't. I actually originate from Zimbabwe - but moved to the UK with my family when I was a teen - so I thought Australia could give me a 'sunny' life. I guess I am wrong.

Guest jomasey
Sure Adelaide is not for everybody but then not everybody is for Adelaide, you need positive can do attitude, get out there meet people, you are even allowed to talk to the Australians,

Guzzler

I do speak to Australians - I have Australian friends - my best mate is an ozzie and lives in Sydney - where I lived for a year - needless to say - I like Sydney and I love ozzies - it is nothing to do with that. I guess I am just not suited to Adelaide - like you say. I am not one of these 'poms' who only speak to poms - in fact completely opposite.

Guest jomasey
Look, each to their own and if Adelaide is not what you expected it to be then good on you for trying to ensure that other people are not similarly disappointed BUT....:wubclub:

IMHO Adelaide has been everything we hoped it would be. Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that we are better off in any way; we aren't. In fact I don't think I've counted pennies or the days till payday like this since my 15yo was a baby! We haven't got a huge house or fantastic anything really...it's just what we need and we're happy with it. Our holidays are closer to home and shorter but we have a good time. We're happy.

I don't know what makes one person love it here and another take longer to find their feet or even like it here, but I guess that's why we don't all live in the same house, in the same place, in the same country. If you see what I mean. It's a very personal thing and therefore no-one's opinion can be right or wrong; it's just their's.

I hope it all works out for you and your friends. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply. I am really glad you are happy and I really mean that - I think it is great because I know how it is difficult. It makes me happy that some people are happy here - and like you say - everyone is different and people fit in and some don't. I wish you guys all the very best. I'm not giving up yet.. I will keep on trying until all the pennies run out. You are very right with what you say :)

Guest Shaggy

How bloody patronising! And what a crock of ****! :arghh:

I am sure Jomasey has already tried the 'positive attitude thing' and I am sure she is well aware she can talk to Australians. :mad:

What percentage of your friends are Aussies?

Jomasey, good on you for coming on here, being honest and not worrying about what everyone will say!

Guest Guzzler&Sas

How bloody patronising! And what a crock of ****! :arghh:

I am sure Jomasey has already tried the 'positive attitude thing' and I am sure she is well aware she can talk to Australians. :mad:

Jomasey, good on you for coming on here, being honest and not worrying about what everyone will say!

I would say at least 50%, patronising maybe or on the the other hand just being honest,

Guzzler

Guest Django

Can't see the point of the question. Does it matter. Are you a better person because most of your friends are Poms or Aussies? Does it mean you are happier or unhappier?

Guzzler's throw away comment (re talking to Australians) is a little thing called humour.

To me it reads (no quote or names mentioned) that Guzzler is addressing those not yet arrived in Oz, just as the OP has. Therefore it is good advice and in no way patronising.

I do however agree with your last comment. I for one want to here negative posts/threads and the reasoning behind the posts.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

JOMASEY - :notworthy::notworthy:

A poster left Australia a few months ago who said much the same thing as yourself. One of their friends sold their house here (been here 6 months at the time), packed their stuff into a van and drove to Queensland to see if they could settle there better.

I think you are right to highlight that for some it is a lot harder to see the Aussie dream than others. Also the fact that some jobs are on the skilled occupations list, and people can be awarded state sponsorship doesn't actually mean there are any employment opportunites when they get here.

I do believe that Guzzler was trying to be amusing, not patronising. I also believe that Guzzler has been here over 2 years and has been very successful in establishing a circle of Aussie friends. I know many people who aspire to establish the same thing once they have been working long enough to meet some and also to make friends. I don't think any offence was taken by Jomasey and neither do I think any was meant.

Jomasey, I applaud your thread. A topic like this can be emotive.

Libby

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that things are not going as planned for you Jomasy (and others!). The work issue is one of the hardest things to get right. I have seen your other posts about graphic designers and yes, there are very few roles around in that profession. I really hope your business works out for you.

You obviously like Oz because you lived in Sydney but sometimes one city cannot be classed as a whole classification of a whole country - differences in UK cities - London vs Manchester vs Brighton vs Birmingham - whole other debate no doubt.

Cost of living is very different to the UK - we find it cheaper, but you have to shop around. Driving is bad here, but our lives are better here and we can only speak as we find in that regard. Sometimes when you feel down and you speak to others who have made this journey too, you can spiral out of control and everyone can end up bringing everyone down - so if you have mates who are not migrants too, they can pep you up and tell you to chill out and not worry so much!

You have to get out of your comfort zone to meet people and start all over again (as I am sure you are aware because you have done it before). We found our community very good where we are, but then 5 minutes up the road it could be different.

I am sure you are giving it your best shot and sometimes, just typing words and having a rant, can get things off your chest and the whole world seems different.

I really hope things work out for you, whatever happens.

Our children are growing up healthy, having a great outdoor life - there are so many wide open spaces and our lives are enriched with all things Australian in this great, vast, mateship country and we love it - I hope you find your utopia soon!

Good luck

Sas

xxx

:wubclub:

Thanks for the honesty, I doubt if its any help but England is really struggling Petrol Prices at the pump are going up at 2p a week our's are sat at 116 per litre at mo, everything is going up, every day the news is credit crunch, house prices falling, harder to get a morgage, energy prices rising by 30% at least this year:arghh: the roads are getting busier and is it me or does it seem simple manners have gone out the window or gone out of the country.

I hope it all sorts itself out for you.

Good Luck

Julie

Guest Django
Petrol Prices at the pump are going up at 2p a week our's are sat at 116 per litre at mo,

Cor where are you living Julie??:shocked: I'm on my way to fill up :biglaugh: Here it is over £1.20 and Diesel is now over £1.30. I have spoken to colleagues on one of my other forums and it seems pretty much on the cards that you can triple that come 2012. :realmad:

Still We won't be here then so happy days. :jiggy:

Pete

Yeah our Diesel is £1.31 today, blink and it goes up we had two cars a citroen saxo and a Kia Sedona we gave the Citroen away last month to my brother that was a 1.1 our Sedona is now costing £75 per fortnight to fill up I must amight I've invested in a good quality pair of shoes and trying to walk everywhere as much as I can. Its cheaper.

Julie

. I'm not giving up yet.. I will keep on trying until all the pennies run out.

You are very right with what you say

a) Good for you - hopefully things will turn and it will make all the difference.

b) Right? That's a rare thing for me...:goofy:!

And c) I was driving back from an excellent pension seminar (thank you Andrew and Claire) when it struck me that I hadn't commented on your accident. Which made me feel really rude and uncaring (no, really...:)), so without wanting/needing to know the details, I hope it wasn't too traumatic and that all parties involved are well.

Can't see the point of the question. Does it matter. Are you a better person because most of your friends are Poms or Aussies? Does it mean you are happier or unhappier?

I think it can mean (and please note I said 'can ' :)!) that you assimilate more quickly if you socialise with Australians.

We mostly associate with Australians, not because we care what nationality anyone is, but because we never wanted to talk about the UK, Next, english food, soccer etc. I'm not knocking it , discuss what you please, but we feel our lives have moved on and such things have no relevance anymore.

And before you ask why I still read and occasionally post on a Brit site...I guess it's curiosity, a desire to help, and fascination. Oh and I still get the odd pm via PiA so I come on to check for those.

:cool:LC

It is good to be honest. People like myself come on PIA to get the facts, not just a pretty picture, we want to be as prepared as possible when we get to Adelaide.

Unfortunately some people look at Oz and think of a dream life in the sun with a big house. Many people have said to me about having more money and bigger house and i have had to correct them.

Personally i wouldn't be making the move if i didn't have a job offer (which i have obviously accepted), it would be to much of a gamble. It just so happens the job i am going to will pay slightly more although i will be without tax credits and childcare benefit due to the visa i will be on so infact i will be worse of until i get PR.

I am following a dream i have got and wanting to provide my daughter with every opportunity i can, if it turns out it doesn't work (positive it will), i only have to jump on a plane home (i will however give it a good year or 2).

I wish you all the best Jomasey with your business and hope in time things will improve for you.

Emma

Guest graandjac

:jiggy:So glad we just had our two cars converted to LPG , yes it cost to get it done but at only 60cents a litre happy days all round. cheers Graham