I am a new Pozzie!

Guest ReadyPenny

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi there All

I have been reading the posts for some time now but have only just joined up. My husband, our daughter and me are looking to move to Adelaide in spring 2009. My hubby is a carpet fitter and has already been offered a job in Blackwood. Does anybody have any info re Blackwood, good or bad, as we really need to start researching now.

We are not being sponsored, there is just a job waiting for him when we get our visa through. We are right at the beginning, having his skills assessed at the mo by TFIA in Canberra. That should be all done and TRA confirmed positive by end Aug and will then post Visa (175) and have been advised that there shouldn't be any probs with this. I hope not anyway, I hate waiting, hence my family nickname "Ready Penny!"

I am particularly interested in schools in Blackwood, our daughter is 10 and the prospects of work for me - At the moment I am a Finance Manager.

Cheers in advance

Mandy:wubclub:

Guest Roo1

Hi Mandy,

Welcome to PIA. I don't know too much about Blackwood but I'm sure others on here will be able to give you some advice.

Good Luck and well done with your hubby already been offered a job!!! :cute:

Judi x

Guest Blackcat

Hi Mandy

I live in Blackwood, have been here since November. My daughter who is 11 goes to Blackwood primary and my son goes to the High School. Have a look at the Blackwood primary on their website, we are very pleased with the school and Kara is very happy there. Blackwood is a nice area, about 15 mins to nearest beach and about 25 mins to the city, also has a railway station and good public transport. Blackwood itself is like a town and has everything that you need, I would recommend it! If there is anything else you want to know just ask! Good luck, Gina

Guest Django

Welcome to PIA

Sounds like the schools in Blackwood are fine and as for the job offer and visa progress things look pretty good for you. :)

Pete

Guest ReadyPenny

Thanks for the replies guys - nice to chat to people who are in a similar boat. Gina, is there much to do for the kids in Blackwood and roughly how big is the community? Is there a supermarket etc nearby or is it a case of travelling into the City? I have read loads about OAA, I assume this means On Arrival Accommodation but not sure? Could someone please advise me about this, what is it exactly, how do you apply for it and is there any in Blackwood?

Sorry to be a pain, but I have so many questions. OH leaves most of this stuff to me and I dont know if i'm on my head or my a**e at the moment!!

Guest caoimhe

Hi Mandy just wanted to welcome you to PIA

One bit of advice though if you have a house to sell you might want to get in on the market now as that seems to be a lot of all our problems

Good luck

Guest ReadyPenny
hello and welcome. My brother is also a carpet fitter and will be coming out next year on a sponsorship! Not sure about blackwood as we have just arrived , but just wanted to say hello x

Clare

Thanks for the welcome. Interesting - do you know which company have sponsored your brother? It may be worth sending them a CV!! Would be much better for us if we could get a sponsor

Cheers

Mandy

Guest LukeM

I've heard that Blackwood is great for young families with lots of things to do like leisure complexes etc.

Does anybody know about how long (in time) it takes to get from Blackwood to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, as we're going out on my mum's job and that's where the job is and thinking about places to live... somewhere no more than about half an hour from the Adelaide CBD and somewhere not much further than that from the hospital!

Guest marty
I've heard that Blackwood is great for young families with lots of things to do like leisure complexes etc.

Does anybody know about how long (in time) it takes to get from Blackwood to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, as we're going out on my mum's job and that's where the job is and thinking about places to live... somewhere no more than about half an hour from the Adelaide CBD and somewhere not much further than that from the hospital!

About 30 mins anytime except rush hour, then anything up to 1hr

Hi Mandy

I'm sure Blackwood has a supermarket as most suburbs do...not many people travel into the city for shopping and if they do it is probably to head to the brilliant central market.

Good luck with planning your move, the great thing for you is that work is promised, lucky you! Hope it all works out well wherever you decide to move to, one bit of advice, you might find you want to wait until you arrive to decide on a suburb as in reality they are so different than any amount of internet research can tell you...hope this makes sense have had a vino :err:Still doesn't hurt to get the lowdown though!

Good luck

Dette :)

Blackwood is the hub for the surrounding hills suburbs like Belair, Coromandel Valley, Eden Hills, there is one public high school, Blackwood High that has a good reputation and a wide choice of subjects and caters well for kids of all abilities. It also has school based apprenticeship opportunities. There are a couple of other primary schools besides Blackwood Primary, but they all follow the IB programme as they feed into the high school which does the IB until yr 10, when the kids can continue to do IB or do the local SACE. All the primary schools inthis area are good, it's just a matter of picking which one suits what you are looking for. There is 1 private primary, it's Lutheran and there is an R-12 Private school in Belair.

In this area there is the local shopping centre with 3 supermarkets, a butchers, a couple of bakeries, fruit n veg shop, pizza place, fish n chip shop, chinese, health food shop, toy shop, couple of chemists, post office. There are also a couple of cheap variety shops. There are a couple of gyms, a rec centre that has stuff for kids. There is a guide unit and scouts. There are a couple of dance schools. There is also a subway, hungry jacks (burger king), Cafe primo ( a family restaurant), down the road in Belair there is an Indian retaurant and at the Belair Hotel(pub) there is an all you can eat type of bistro/ smorgasbord, that is popular with families.(It's been knocked down at the mo, renovating)

There is a bus that goes direct to Marion shopping centre(about 15 - 30 mins) where the cinemas are and also bowling, aswell as all the main chains of shops. There is a large outdoor swimming pool near marion in Ascot Pk. There is a golf course in Belair.

There are bike parks and ovals and playgrounds. At christmas Blackwood has its own community carols by candle light inthe park and also a parade(called a pageant). It's a great place for kids and adults. It's always a little cooler up there, being in the hills and you benefit from the gully winds that blow up in the summer evenings.

The train to Adelaide takes about 30 mins from Blackwood station.