Dogs and Kids...

Guest Yogi Jane

Guest Yogi Jane

Hi Everyone, have been looking at this site for a while needed to join so I can ask lots of questions.

We are hoping to move to Adelaide with 2 children aged 9 and 11 and 2 dogs.

I would love to hear of other peoples recent experiences of making the move particularly how you handled the children and schools etc. Dogs are the easiest by far. I look forward to hearing all your info, cheers.:biglaugh:

Guest Sharon and Paul

HI Yogi , welcome to PIA , drnk.gif join us all , in the journey to the land of Oz . there are plenty of people who will answer all your questions , good luck atb Paul . AMIABLE.gif

Guest MitchKeza

Hi, How you doing? You may have already studied the area of transporting pets to Oz but if you havent then believe me when I say that dogs are not the easiest by far. If they show any signs of the "Leptovac" in their blood then its a no entry, FULL STOP! We are making sure our dog has no leptovac immunisation this year so his blood tests should be ok next year, hopefully. Also you will find that to transport your dogs to Oz is actually about three times more expensive than a human being. Sorry to sound like a "bearer of bad news", but we have been shocked at the overall cost of getting our dog down to Oz, although he is going no matter what ! Anyhow enjoy whats ahead ! Regards... Mitchkeza.

Hi Everyone, have been looking at this site for a while needed to join so I can ask lots of questions.

We are hoping to move to Adelaide with 2 children aged 9 and 11 and 2 dogs.

I would love to hear of other peoples recent experiences of making the move particularly how you handled the children and schools etc. Dogs are the easiest by far. I look forward to hearing all your info, cheers.:biglaugh:

hi and welcome to PIA,

we have 2 children of 10 and 8 and they have settled really well. Our house tonight is busy with 3 children here on sleep overs, good job the house is bigger!

younger children find it easier to settle so im sure yours will be fine.

as for schools its just a matter of getting here and going round the ones you have done some research on and seeing which one you feel comfortable with. we researched as best we could before we got here and came up with a short list and was lucky enough to get ours into one of the ones we looked at. so far they have loved it there, even though they had 1 week at school before now in the middle of having 2 weeks school holidays!

dont know about the transporting dogs as we got ours here but from what i have heard there are many companies that do it that people have used and has gone well.

good luck and once again welcome

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yogi Jane

Hi everyone,thanks for the info especially on the dog vaccine as it was something I had no idea about.

My dog had his 2 year booster today but with out the Lepto part, so good advice!

I havnt looked in to costs just yet but i know that they will come with us whatever, i will have to sell more stuff!!

We havnt decided on a particular area yet , but we loved being up in the hills as we have relatives there, I noticed how much more expensive the property was.

As for schools, do i just interenet search and see how many I can come up with? I have been told the best time to try and move is at the beginning of the new term in february, is that a good idea?

I know there is alot to consider but i know someone who has just moved to Adelaide with his family without ever setting foot on Australian soil!

Another reason for my wanting to leave the uk is that I want the children to have a more outdoor life, giving them wider horizons and options as they get older, for those of you with children have you noticed any dramatic changes ? Especially with regards to getting away from incessant computer games......

I look forward to your replies people, thanks.x:wubclub: