Help please....

Guest Liz Evans

Guest Liz Evans

Hi there,

We need some help. As a family we are desperate to emigrate to he southern hemisphere with adelaide being a first choice. However......SPIDERS !!!!!!.....Can anyone please tell me just how often we are actually likely to come across them. We keep reading about them in houses, beds and cars !!!!!.

Any help would be greatly received......we need to know the truth !!!

Many thanks

Liz, Gary and James

Guest Amelia&Fred

Well, there are some nasty ones here but i've only seen one in the house which we just put outside without touching it... as long as you and your kids know not to touch them it's fine. They like the underside of tables outside and chairs so just look underneath before you move anything. I like spiders (but the uk kind not the oz kind!).... don't worry you'll be fine!! The big huntsman ones are not dangerous, I've not seen any of those!

Don't let spiders put you off moving here!! Hope that helps :)

amelia and fred

www.funkeldink.com

Guest ali@51

Hi I have been here 9 1/2 weeks (I'm sure thier is a fillm in their) and we have seen the grand total of 4 in the house. All in a 24 hr period. I only know they weren't red backs or white tips.Killed 1st and worried about what they were lator. I'm not particuly a spider fan but havn't really been bothered by them.

Guest Liz Evans
Well, there are some nasty ones here but i've only seen one in the house which we just put outside without touching it... as long as you and your kids know not to touch them it's fine. They like the underside of tables outside and chairs so just look underneath before you move anything. I like spiders (but the uk kind not the oz kind!).... don't worry you'll be fine!! The big huntsman ones are not dangerous, I've not seen any of those!

Don't let spiders put you off moving here!! Hope that helps :)

amelia and fred

www.funkeldink.com

thank you, the trouble is we keep reading about the huntsmans, especially dropping on you in the car.

unfortunately we really hate spiders and we are trying so hard to be realistic.

:confused:and feeling silly.

Guest Liz Evans
Hi I have been here 9 1/2 weeks (I'm sure thier is a fillm in their) and we have seen the grand total of 4 in the house. All in a 24 hr period. I only know they weren't red backs or white tips.Killed 1st and worried about what they were lator. I'm not particuly a spider fan but havn't really been bothered by them.

thank you,trouble is we hate the horid things. we keep reading about the huntsman spider and how they like to live in the car and drop on you. we know in the scheme of things this is really silly but............

anyway thanks again and hope you are all settling in well and :)loving it!!!!!

I don't think spiders are anything to worry about living in Adelaide.

The further North in Australia you go, the more hotter and humid it gets and you are more likely to come across 'creatures'.

We live 10 minutes from the city centre and never give these things a thought. If you live in a more rural area in Adelaide you may well encounter snakes, but I lived in Melbourne for nearly a year in 1996/1997 and then we have lived in Adelaide for 16 months and we have never seen a snake or a dangerous spider.

I personally think bush fires are more of an issue, especially when you are buying a house and choosing where to live.

Guest deborah
thank you,trouble is we hate the horid things. we keep reading about the huntsman spider and how they like to live in the car and drop on you. we know in the scheme of things this is really silly but............

anyway thanks again and hope you are all settling in well and :)loving it!!!!!

How do they get in the car is it when people leave the windows open or do they get in underneath?

I have little spiders in my car but that is because I have spider webs on my wing mirrors!!

Guest deborah
I don't think spiders are anything to worry about living in Adelaide.

The further North in Australia you go, the more hotter and humid it gets and you are more likely to come across 'creatures'.

We live 10 minutes from the city centre and never give these things a thought. If you live in a more rural area in Adelaide you may well encounter snakes, but I lived in Melbourne for nearly a year in 1996/1997 and then we have lived in Adelaide for 16 months and we have never seen a snake or a dangerous spider.

I personally think bush fires are more of an issue, especially when you are buying a house and choosing where to live.

I agree, that scares me more than spiders or snakes.

It does put me off the rural areas as i guess they are the most at risk!

Guest Teepe2008

Hi Liz,

I've been in Adelaide 2 months but previously lived in Perth for 1 year and we used to see more spiders in the UK then here in OZ!! I have only seen one big spider here (not a huntsman though) and we killed it straight away! I hate spiders aswell and usually I wouldn't kill them but knowing that they bite I thought it'd probably be better to kill them!!! The huntsman in the car story is a well known one and is told to scare people! Queensland and NT are more popular spots for the big spiders!! Its definitely not a problem - especially in the major cities so I wouldn't let it affect your decision! I've lived away from the UK for nearly 7 years now (most of the time in NZ) and I've never looked back!! You're making the right decision!!! Good luck with it!!!:wubclub:

Guest Guest75
What are they sweets!!

:biglaugh:

They are part of the Australian migrant history...............Just don't hang about under a gum tree for too long.

Oh - and sweets are called lollies here - it gets very confusing at times.:cute:

How do they get in the car is it when people leave the windows open or do they get in underneath?

I have little spiders in my car but that is because I have spider webs on my wing mirrors!!

They climb in through the heating vents. They are like water in some ways , water will always find its way in ...if theres a way, same with spiders. They squeeze through little cracks and then unfold in all thier glory.......especially huntsman. They come alive in summer months!!! Can be as bigas a small hand.

Guest marty
Forget about the spiders. It's the drop-bears & hoop-snakes I'd worry about if I were you!

Yes I agree, forget the spiders, the drop bears are the things to look out for.

Guest britaussiechick

Hi Liz and all, i live in the country and see lots of spiders from the nasty to the awful looking unharmful ones.

The only thing to say is do not put your hands or feet where you can't see into and you will be fine, daddy long leggs are here alot and i leave them alone in my house as i do the huntsman how look damn scary but they do more good than harm so they stay.

We have had white tips that rot the skin and red backs (female with red strip male just black) and if they are in my house then they are gone or if they are out and about i don't bother.

there are lots of insects here that run around even geco's in your house but most don't bother you. DO NOT let your fear put you off, it sounds alot but honestly it isn't, just follow the rule to look in dark holes first and you will be fine.

You can buy house bombs here that you set off when you are out and they kill of any bugs around then you have no worries at all.

all the best Brit

:)

Hi there,

We need some help. As a family we are desperate to emigrate to he southern hemisphere with adelaide being a first choice. However......SPIDERS !!!!!!.....Can anyone please tell me just how often we are actually likely to come across them. We keep reading about them in houses, beds and cars !!!!!.

Any help would be greatly received......we need to know the truth !!!

Many thanks

Liz, Gary and James