Is adelaide becoming too expensive to live !!!

Guest natdan

Guest natdan

Hi all living out there , trying not to be too nosey:confused: but is the costs of everything out there going up and up !!! mortgages , rent, food etc just the general costs of things, I have picked up a few vibes lately, and thougtt it would be best to ask all on here already out there. Any info would be of great help to us all on are way. THANKS in advance .

Wayne n Louise :):)

Guest Guest75

It depends on your viewpoint I guess.

Adelaide is still the most reasonable city to buy property in.

Cost of living here is less than say Sydney.

BUT.

Costs are rising all over Australia - if not the world.

There was a "golden Age" to move here a few years ago when prices were lower and the exchange rate favourable.That's gone now I'm afraid.

You will know better than I about the tough market in the UK.

The market here has definitely slowed and not sure if it will drop at all.

You obviously have to consider the financial aspects of the move - so I'd say about the same costs as the UK.

The lifestyle is still here though and that is a huge factor for most people.

Guest stufi1997

I agree with Tyke, we only came out here 3 months ago so the cost of living in the UK is still very fresh...having said that the cost of living in the North east of Scotland will be different from that in English cities etc..groceries are in general more expensive I would say, as there is less competition and variety, eating out is way cheaper, our rent is about the same as what we are charging in Scotland, and so are utility bills....Try not to worry too much about it. It's definately NOT too expensive to LIVE....whether you can afford as many of the luxury items you may be used to is another thing. Good luck with the move Fiona

Some things are more expensive and some things are cheaper than the UK, its swings and roundabouts.

We paid a lot more for our house than we thought we would have to. We wanted to live in a good area and close to the city and our mortgage is a lot more than we ever thought it would be (and interest rates are high compared to the UK ours is 9.14%) and are slightly out of our comfort zone, but that is our choice.

We are hoping the house will be a good investment and being 10 minutes from the city centre is a bonus to us as my partner works in the city centre, so we only need to have 1 car.

Guest chippie74

If it was just a yes or no answer..are we better off in adelaide than uk then i would say no!!.But money wasnt a factor for us to coming here it was just a better way of life and i wouldnt for 1 second think of going back

Hmmm. Yes, in my opinion the cost of living here HAS gone up, not by a huge amount but it's definitely gone up. The price of petrol now is pretty alarming. I only drive a 1.6 and when we first bought it I could fill the tank for around $35 max. Now it's over $40, usually around $42 or so. House prices have definitely slowed but the real estate people reckon that it will pick up again soon (but then they would say that wouldn't they?) I still keep hearing that Adelaide is going to be the next "boom" town when the mining takes off properly but I have no idea if that will happen or not. I have no idea what prices are like in the UK now but I reckon the cost of living is comparative. House prices are cheaper here but the exchange rate is so bad it might not feel like it.

Like Chippie said though, given the choice between Adelaide and Birmingham, I'd pick Adelaide every time. Frankly, I'd pick Beirut before I picked Birmingham again though!!:biglaugh: BUT... I think everyone getting ready to come over needs to have their eyes well and truly open when it comes to finances. If you think you're going to swap your 2 bed mainsonette in Burnley for a 4 bed house in Seaford without taking out a hefty mortgage, it ain't going to happen I'm afraid! Wages are quite low in some trades and it's not always easy to find a job, there are plenty of members on here who'll say amen to that. You don't just spend money when you come over here, you BLEED money and the sight of your bank statement can be enough to give you a heart attack:shocked: I truly, truly don't want to put anyone off coming here, we love Adelaide and we love the life we have at the moment. But we ARE worried about money and if anything drives us back to the UK it will be because we can't afford to live here anymore.

Sorry everyone if I've brought you down.:sad: Sorry if I've offended anyone in Burnley either:biglaugh:

Hmmm. Yes, in my opinion the cost of living here HAS gone up, not by a huge amount but it's definitely gone up. The price of petrol now is pretty alarming. I only drive a 1.6 and when we first bought it I could fill the tank for around $35 max. Now it's over $40, usually around $42 or so. House prices have definitely slowed but the real estate people reckon that it will pick up again soon (but then they would say that wouldn't they?) I still keep hearing that Adelaide is going to be the next "boom" town when the mining takes off properly but I have no idea if that will happen or not. I have no idea what prices are like in the UK now but I reckon the cost of living is comparative. House prices are cheaper here but the exchange rate is so bad it might not feel like it.

Like Chippie said though, given the choice between Adelaide and Birmingham, I'd pick Adelaide every time. Frankly, I'd pick Beirut before I picked Birmingham again though!!:biglaugh: BUT... I think everyone getting ready to come over needs to have their eyes well and truly open when it comes to finances. If you think you're going to swap your 2 bed mainsonette in Burnley for a 4 bed house in Seaford without taking out a hefty mortgage, it ain't going to happen I'm afraid! Wages are quite low in some trades and it's not always easy to find a job, there are plenty of members on here who'll say amen to that. You don't just spend money when you come over here, you BLEED money and the sight of your bank statement can be enough to give you a heart attack:shocked: I truly, truly don't want to put anyone off coming here, we love Adelaide and we love the life we have at the moment. But we ARE worried about money and if anything drives us back to the UK it will be because we can't afford to live here anymore.

Sorry everyone if I've brought you down.:sad: Sorry if I've offended anyone in Burnley either:biglaugh:

I think you are quite right to point out the negative as well as the positive.

When we arrived in March 2007 petrol was $1.10, the other week it was $1.74, so like the UK, petrol has drastically increased and although it is still a lot cheaper than in the UK, that really is irrelevant when you are living in Adelaide. Luckily we only run 1 car.

We came over here with some equity from our house sale, but without it we would really have struggled. We also both got jobs quickly, it took my partner 1 week and me 10 weeks, so that helped a great deal as without a job it would be very hard.

Financially we are worse off over here, but that is partly because of the house we chose to buy. We wanted to live close to the city centre and in a good area and unfortunately that costs you a lot of money.

In the UK I only used to work part-time but now work 40 hours a week, I get 4 weeks leave here (which does not increase) and 10 days sick leave a year, so my terms and conditions of employment are a lot worse than I had in the UK.

Once again, all that said - Nottingham or Adelaide? I would choose Adelaide.

Guest Rob and Clare

I can't say if it's more expensive to live here than the Uk anymore, after 3 years in Oz the UK i knew has changed. But it can be expensive depending what you want to do ? If you want a beer from the bottle shop then $40 - $50 is in order for a slab of 24 little stubbies, long gone are the days of 24 Stella for 10 pounds....

This is the one of the most highley taxed countries in the world and there is nothing that doesn't have a charge for or a tax, we took out a small load for a car and we have to pay stamp duty on a car loan, and again on the car through a dealer...

Wages are low for so many people my company pays the same for unskilled labour as some companies pay for tool makes or welders. And people with jobs don't have the guarentees that UK workers have with redundancy, holiday pay, sick pay etc...

We are quite lucky as there is just the 2 of us, we both have good jobs and earn nearly as much as we would of if we stayed in the UK, but we don't have the expendable income we would have had in the UK, as Liz says it's just so easy to bleed money.

Again some perspective on UK living costs...

Our general food bill has gone up £40/week in the last few months.

A few months ago, I could fill my 1.8 Diesel Mondeo for £50, now its more like £75

Fuel bills have all gone up way above inflation....

So whilst cost of living is rising in Adelaide, its absolutely rocketing in the UK.

(In my Opinion)

Si

Again some perspective on UK living costs...

Our general food bill has gone up £40/week in the last few months.

A few months ago, I could fill my 1.8 Diesel Mondeo for £50, now its more like £75

Fuel bills have all gone up way above inflation....

So whilst cost of living is rising in Adelaide, its absolutely rocketing in the UK.

(In my Opinion)

Si

Look! get a grip:arghh: When the world oil price goes up , everything goes up in every country,. Do you think oz is immune ..............course not. Everything has shot up here also.

I have got a grip.... and like I said.... it is my opinion...... you are free to have a differing one!

The title of this thread is - "Is adelaide becoming too expensive to live !!! "

and I was just trying to point-out, that yes things are getting more expensive in adelaide, but IMHO, even more so in the UK.

House prices have slowed in Adelaide.... and may well reduce in the future...

House prices in the UK are on a downward slope, and again IMHO, we will go into a recession in the coming year.

I have got a grip.... and like I said.... it is my opinion...... you are free to have a differing one!

and I was just trying to point-out, that yes things are getting more expensive in adelaide, but IMHO, even more so in the UK.

House prices have slowed in Adelaide.... and may well reduce in the future...

House prices in the UK are on a downward slope, and again IMHO, we will go into a recession in the coming year.

My opinion, and as you gratiuosly say, im allowed one:), is that worldwide prices have gone up. And , IMO , things have gone up proportinately (sp) here .Ive been out of UK a while but still have regular contact so have got a rough idea of prices.And IMO , you wont know whats expensive here and whats not until youve lived here a fair while:). Unless that is, youve lived here before. Its a different way of life here.

Dont want an argument ,just giving long time adelaide views.

Guest Django

My opinion is the same as this. Fuel here is £1.30 a litre at the moment that is like them in Oz paying $2.70 a litre :shocked: Also gas, electric and water bills are set to rise by 40% come January.

I would say yes it is getting expensive to live in Adelaide but its all relative.

Pete

No worries Smit.... life would be boring if we all had the same opinion about everything. :)

I may well change my opinion later in the month (after we arrive)...... but I hope not.:err:

Either way, right now, I can't wait to get out of the UK.....:goofy:

(I have family and friends in Adelaide, and I visited last year.)

Cheers

Si

Guest Libby1971

I have tried to think of something optimistic and hopeful to offer to the conversation and can't think of something except to say that...

I don't really care. I left the UK because I could not afford to stay. Both of us working full time to make ends meet and with no time for our kids meant we were an unhappy family, tired and stressed etc.

Here, we are so far financially better off but we are lucky in that the pay is good so far. We still have some savings left although that is pouring out the door - Liz is sooo right, you do bleed money. Yes it is relative, in terms of rising prices and things are probably rising faster in the UK but costs are rising here, and not slowly either. House prices are getting stupid...just as well we moved when we did and bought when we did coz I am not sure we could do it now.

However, if it gets to the point that we think it is too expensive to stay, hell, we'll stick a pin in the map and move somewhere else instead! I do know though that nothing could induce me at the moment to return to the UK. Would I have stayed in the UK if I thought the costs were too high? Not on your nelly! I was out the door as quick as I could

Guest Lulujim
I have tried to think of something optimistic and hopeful to offer to the conversation and can't think of something except to say that...

I don't really care. I left the UK because I could not afford to stay. Both of us working full time to make ends meet and with no time for our kids meant we were an unhappy family, tired and stressed etc.

Here, we are so far financially better off but we are lucky in that the pay is good so far. We still have some savings left although that is pouring out the door - Liz is sooo right, you do bleed money. Yes it is relative, in terms of rising prices and things are probably rising faster in the UK but costs are rising here, and not slowly either. House prices are getting stupid...just as well we moved when we did and bought when we did coz I am not sure we could do it now.

However, if it gets to the point that we think it is too expensive to stay, hell, we'll stick a pin in the map and move somewhere else instead! I do know though that nothing could induce me at the moment to return to the UK. Would I have stayed in the UK if I thought the costs were too high? Not on your nelly! I was out the door as quick as I could

I always feel very uplifted after reading your posts :)

Guest natdan

HI to all whether in adelaide or the uk , we take all your opinions onboard , but remember every ones opinion is theres alone , but thanks. We are on the same thinking as Libby and just recall why we wanted to leave the uk in the first place [ to much to list] , all you already over there had your own reasons ,and there yours alone. But we all share the same one, WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF THE UK !!! Thanks again wayne n louise.